A close shave, no not that type

Anyone had a recent close shave with death/tragedy, I dropped the kids off in town then dropped the car off for MOT, the garage rang a few hours later to say they couldn’t do the test, they moved the car 40m from the parking space into the garage when it suffered total brake failure( scared the tester somewhat ) in other words I was 1 or 2 presses of the brake pedal away from a huge crash possibly with the kids on board and given where I would normally have driven that day maybe straight into the sea, it maybe the end of the car but perhaps God was looking after/punishing me ?

1 Like

Years ago, I backwards summersaulted my car down a 30ft waterfall… All 3 of us walked away

Years back I drove down the motorway at full pelt unaware that my rear axel was about to split. Randomly I took the car to the garage the next day and the mechanic pointed out the huge crack (pardon the pun) in the rear axle and explained that I would have been dead should it have split during my drive. We had to squeeze into our smaller car to go abroad that weekend as the car was not even worth repairing.

It was a close call!

I’m glad you’re okay! Physically at least :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Why would you feel that it was an appropriate potential punishment?

All this is telling me is that I should never get a car.

Had a couple of close shaves in my life which all could have been life threatening.
On a live firing exercises in my early army days I was part of the assault phase advancing forward when I noticed splashes in the ground a few meters in front of us. They were bullets hitting the ground that were literally flying just over our heads.
Back in the early noughties I was driving across a level crossing when I was hit by a train
And the last one was one night I hit a brick at over 80mph in the middle lane of the M1 whilst overtaking a truck, I was on a motorbike at the time, luckily I stayed upright and only noticed in the morning there was a huge chunk out of the wheel itself.
I’ve had a bit of luck

1 Like

You should change your name to Woolycat! :joy:

2 Likes

If I did that I may have only 1 life left…:rofl:

1 Like

Had quite a few close shaves in my lifetime but for now I’ll go with the vehicle related ones starting with my most recent.
Last year when I came off my bike in Ireland, low speed,minimal damage to the bike,me not so,but the location (a bridge over a river) meant i would have been learning to swim underwater in full bike gear had i flown left instead of right when I was catapulted into the air!!!
2nd was in the truck 20 odd yr ago coming out of Birmingham early morning in the snow, the truck jack knifed and i ended up going down the road backwards hitting another car in the process (occupant ok,car a right off) i came to a standstill perched on a high kerb next to a bridge (there’s a pattern emerging lol) the attending officer said it was a good job i was empty as the bridge was over the main line into and out of the city!!!
3rd was as a 16yr old passenger in a bedford h a (yes I’m that old lol) works van being driven by a wannabe boy racer who was going waaaay to fast for the up coming right hander,the van ran wide hit the bank and was launched into the air not touching down until the nearside front corner of the roof hit the floor, caving it in quite nicely.
When the vehicle was recovered back to the depot the boss asked me to climb back into the wreckage,all i can say is it’s a good job I’m a short arse as the stoved in roof was half inch to an inch maximum above my head…

Life seems to be one minor crisis after another, just when we feel things are even just remotely stable life throws us another thing to overcome almost like we’re being punished.