Advice wanted! t.o.m

!Hey id like some advice at what to do.

Basically i have always suffered badly with my monthlys, unbearable at times.

I was one of those unlucky girls who got it early and painful.

So at the tender age of 14 my gp put me on the pill to control my hormones n headaches.. years went on and i had the implant once boys came along, while later this mixed up for me i needed to take the pill as well. That was annoying but fine only when that ran out as you can imagine of all these years of pills etc. I wanted to give my body a much needed rest.

Only now the deathly cramps, fever, aches has cone back with all force. This week iive been so poorly. I was wondering what i do for the best.

I have a mirena coil which completely stops periods after a few months and can be kept in for 5 years, I used to suffer with heavy flow and awful cramping, it's not suitable for everyone, but might be worth looking in to? X

Hey unfortunately im only allowed the pill or implant (which didnt work out for me) i dont want the coil til after ive had children.

Ok, yeah with the coil is more advisable to have after having children. Perhaps book an appointment at your local CASH clinic, they may be able to advise you in what is more suitable for you. Is the injection something you could have possibly?

In terms of the cramps hot baths helped when I had them or hot water bottle against your stomach. a relaxing massage to ease the aches works wonders too.

Sorry couldn't be much help. I do empathise though x

Thanks reany, i appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Nope infection is highly unlikely.and previously std test clear. Me n bf always used condoms since we have been together.

It does sound like a bit of a catch 22 situation. Sadly if you wanting to try for children your going to have to suffer these pains untill such a point as you get pregnant. But if this is not you imediate plan then hormone pills or implant is the only way to go.

I have the implant and it works for me, in fact it's my 5th one.

My eldest daughter had dreadful periods and she was put on the pill at a young age. After about 5 years it seemed as though she had stopped receiving any benefit from it and the heavy , painful periods returned. She was put on the mini pill a couple of years ago and hasn't had a period since.

Don't know if that info is of any help ? xx

No plans for children just yet, as the implant didnt work im guessing i only have the option of the pill, being im only allowed one variety of the pill tol doesbt doesn't give me to much options.
Was hoping to say off anything for bit longer but i cant cope if im gunna get this every months so debilitating.
Do you thing a family planning nurse would b best to see?

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering so much - I can totally empathise as I suffered very badly for many years. Have you ever had an ultrasound scan to rule out ovarian cysts or endometriosis? It may just be that you have extremely painful periods, but it may be worth getting this checked just so you can rule it out xx

1 Like

sassykitten;) wrote:

No plans for children just yet, as the implant didnt work im guessing i only have the option of the pill, being im only allowed one variety of the pill tol doesbt doesn't give me to much options.
Was hoping to say off anything for bit longer but i cant cope if im gunna get this every months so debilitating.
Do you thing a family planning nurse would b best to see?

Yes I do think that would be the best option. Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks for your replys, i havent had a scan since i was about 15, that came back fine, i think im probably gunna have to book my local family planning clinic and talk to them. Waiting for a doctors appointment is ridiculous. They said yes you can have one next month :@ no i want one now :"(

I'm in a similar boat.

I went on the combined pill when I was 15 yrs old and whilst on the pill I had no trouble with periods. 18 months ago I was put on the mini pill but gave me acne and longer but lighter periods. I decided it couldn't be good for my health to be taking the pill non-stop until menopause and so I thought sod it I'm coming off it.

I have found many positives being off the pill but like you Sassykitten I now have heavier and painful periods, to the point I've had to finish work early.

I'm not sure what to do about it really as the OH is booked in for a vasectomy in December so for me there is no point at looking at other options, for example the coil. The joys of being a woman!

It's definitely worth talking to the nurse about it and get a clear picture of your options. There is the combined pill which contains oestrogen and progesterone so maybe if your on this one they may suggest the mini pill which only contains progesterone.

I don't know if you would be interested but there are herbal remedies which can be of great help. Evening primrose oil is one of them but there are more. It might be worthwhile popping into a health food store for some advice. 😊
Some you cannot take if you are taking other medication or have other health problems but I think they can be a great natural alternative.

Lil_Red_Kinkyboots wrote:

I don't know if you would be interested but there are herbal remedies which can be of great help. Evening primrose oil is one of them but there are more. It might be worthwhile popping into a health food store for some advice. 😊
Some you cannot take if you are taking other medication or have other health problems but I think they can be a great natural alternative.

Evening primrose oil is wonderful. Also, do you excercise? It helps my painful cramps, and can reduce the pain and the heavy flow. Do get checked out for other things other than a heavy period!

Hey, from a medical background, I'd say even though it takes forever to get an appointment (I know it's a hassle!), I'd still go ahead and get one, at the very least with your GP so that they can take a proper history, examine you, and if necessary carry out tests and refer you. Doesn't need to be a family planning or CASH clinic!

Lots of different things can cause such uncomfortable menstruation, and it's definitely worth checking out just in case it's something that can be fixed without constantly being on the pill.

There are also various reasons for offering (or withholding) different sorts of contraception or medication that modify your periods, and I wouldn't go based on what I read online - a doctor would be able to advise you better based on your individual needs :)

There are a number of different palliatives - muscle relaxants, painkillers etc, that you should discuss with your doctor. Preferably a female doctor, we men do not REALLY get it. Back in the 60s, wanking was recommended to ease cramps and to promote even flow, but explaining to your boss why you were popping out every half hour or so might be tricky!

It may be worth trying some of the naturopathic things like evening primrose oil, but I think I've heard that some can interact with proper medicines so check carefully first.

Magnesium helps with muscle tension, I take extra when I'm cramping.

My wife used to get it bad, ended up with the minera coil, seems to of done the trick.