Anti-Depressant effect on men's sex drive?

My boyfriend recently went to the doctors as he was feeling not good and very stressed for weeks and he was diagnosed with anxiety. They said it may be temporary and pass but suggested anti-depressants (SSRI's) as something to bring relief. He said they advised him to discuss this with a partner first before making a decision if he wanted to go on these as they could cause sexual issues such as reduction in sex drive including reduced need for sex / masturbation, difficulty to get an erection and loss or difficulty to get an orgasm. He immediately checked this info out with me and it seems to be accurate, common and very expected.

Does anyone, especially men or female partners have any experience with taking anti-depressants and any sexual side effects as he is very worried about this?

It's a tough one to call really, I have taken them but only for a short period (a month) to be honest I wasn't feeling sex before taking them and I didn't fancy sex on them. Thankfully it didn't take long for me to work myself out of the situation and things got back to normal slowly but surely. I think sex needs to be taken off the table unless this is a massive concern for him as the pressure of thinking that he isn't satisfying you will only add to anxiety/depression. Something else to consider is coming off the pills, some people struggle especially of they take the pills long term. Please do keep doing your research and look at if things will get better without the pills.

I was on antidepressants and it killed my sex drive. My erections weren’t affected but I struggled to orgasm. When I came back off them things got marginly better.

Guy14357 wrote:

I was on antidepressants and it killed my sex drive. My erections weren’t affected but I struggled to orgasm. When I came back off them things got marginly better.

Guy14357, did things get back to what they were pre-medication?

I had a massive break down three years ago now, really bad anxiety, panic and depression. I was put on anti depressants (Sertraline) and along with excellent counciling, they turned my life around. I can’t say how much my quality of life has improved since taking this medication (other SSRI’s available). When it comes to mental health, we are all unique, so I would encourage your partner to keep talking and searching for the help he needs. But I can give my opinion on how my sex life has been these last three years. Erections - not noticed any difference. Sex Drive - when I was unwell, before taking the medication, I needed sex, either with my wife or on my own often up to three times a day, but it was more for the endorphin kick rather than any real pleasure. Now I don’t need that, so it can feel like my sex drive has been reduced, but actually it has just come down to normal, and when I want sex now, it’s for pleasure and intimacy rather than relief from suffering. But I still can get aroused very easily, so they don’t have any affect on my libido. Orgasm - again, not notice any difference here. Can easily orgasm, and to be honest, if anything it has made them more intense. In conclusion, the SSRI’s have made my quality of life so much better and if anything has improved my sex life, as I’m happy now and more content with life. Most SSRI’s take up to a month to start working properly, and can have some annoying side affects to start of with (mine was insomnia) but it soon past and the relief is so good. I hope this is of some help and wish you and your partner well. Mental illness is one of the toughest things to live with, keep talking and don’t be afraid to give the anti depressants a go.

hi Steph & Mike, this is a common side effect of SSRI however there are other anti depressants medications such as tetracyclics such as mirtazapine which don't tend to effect sex drive . speak to your GP, voice concerns & see what they think.. I wish you all the best, use counselling as well as meds & try talking therapies like CBT, it's not for everyone but you don't know unless you try. good luck

I have had issues with depression and anxiety for years I have had a medication and have found it to be helpful. I also had therapy as part of a trial that was very helpful. Talking about it is a big help and easier than you may think. I have been taking Citalopram for the last 12 months, it does have side effects for sure, I would say my erections aren’t as strong and it definitely takes me longer to cum. I find also the ejaculation doesn’t feel as powerful when I do cum. I will always continue after the first ejaculation and try to cum again a couple of times, the wife doesn’t seem to mind! I guess it’s an acceptable situation and I feel a lot better in my self than when I have been off the medication. I am starting to reduce the dose so we will see what happens with performance. I would say my sex drive has reduced in the last 6 months but it goes in waves and when it’s high it’s really high. Speak to your GP about it, you will both benefit I’m sure.

Hi there, my boyfriend has been taking SSRI medication since about the start of the year for anxiety brought on my the pandemic and all the things around that. I went to the doctors with him and the lady doctor was very matter of fact about side effects, especially potential sexual ones. Sounds like you got told similar as my boyfriend was told possible reduction to sex drive, climax and orgasm.

After 2 months and since then my boyfriend has definitely noticed changes along the lines of what was mentioned and not all are bad. We have plenty of sex still and no less than before so no change there but he does not get aroused anywhere near as often now otherwise. Before he masturbated a lot, now he doesn’t at all hardly, maybe once a month. He says he doesn’t mind this as he just doesn’t get the strong urge to do it. It takes him a long time to orgasm now which is great for me, I’ve had many more orgasms from PIV than before and he loves being able to do this where he would cum a bit too quickly before.

So for us there have been changes but not ones we could not manage with