Ask the Expert: All Things Lingerie

Sorry double post on mobile🙈

Hi Fentiger,

There will be some new additions to the LHM range, but I’m afraid at the moment, I can’t tell you any more than that!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi Mamz,

Bra fit can be a real pain, I tend to vary between about 3 different sizes depending on the style and the time of the month!

I’ve put together this guide on bra fitting (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sexy-lingerie/buyers-guide/how-to-choose-the-right-bra-size/), which hopefully will be some help. Some people tell you that you should add two inches onto your underbust measurement to find out what band you should buy, but this is quite an old-fashioned method, and with newer bras, it’s much more accurate that whatever your underbust measurement is, your band size will be this size.

Based on the measurements you’ve given me, I would estimate that you’re more of a 30D than a 32D, as you’ve got an underbust measurement of 29” (which you would round up to the next even number - a 30), and there’s a difference of 4 inches between your underbust and the fullest part of your bust. This would also explain why you feel more comfortable in the 32C than the D, as 32C is a sister size to a 32C. For more information on sister sizing, please check out the buyer’s guide, or have a quick look at the Undie Mondays video on sister sizing on Youtube.

In terms of the bra style, I’d suggest that plunge bras with padding on the outer edge of the cups would work best for you, as they’ll still give more definition than a bralet but you won’t get the gap at the top between your bust and the cups that can happen with some moulded/fully-padded cups. Something like our Flirty bras should work well, as should the Roza Euterpe bra.

Hopefully that’s been some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi lovingnewtoys,

Bodystockings are definitely my number one recommendation for taller frames, as you mentioned.

Often, the measurements we’re given for the size charts come straight from the suppliers and many of them tend not to offer us the length measurements, but I agree it would definitely be helpful, particularly with one-size babydolls, chemises, and teddies.

I’ll pass your requests onto our Buying team for future consideration, along with your feedback on the plus size cups. I’m guessing you probably have, but if you’re after the look of a basque without the moulded cups, have you considered trying corsets, as the lacing often allows a much more flexible fit on the bust?

Thanks!

Sammi

Hi sugarboobies2232 and glittergirl,

Thanks for your question. It essentially comes down to our tech set-up at the moment. Because we list the plus and base sizes as two separate products and we can only ever have one product as ‘Deal of the Day’ at any one time, we have to pick one or the other when it comes to creating the deal. Over the course of the year, we try to make sure that this balances out so that both varieties are on offer at some point, but I can understand your frustration with this - I can assure you it’s nothing to do with ‘size discrimination’, it’s just a weird quirk of our website, unfortunately!

Hope that’s some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi slinky binky,

Thanks for your question, and I’m glad that you’re enjoying the videos!

Can I ask if you’re buying babydolls and chemises with soft cups, or moulded cups, as this can often make a difference to how they hold your bust?

If you want to keep everything in place but still feel comfortable, then I can’t recommend our halterneck mini dress enough (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32655)! The high neckline stops your boobs falling out, but because it’s a little bit sheer, it still looks incredibly sexy, and will give you much the same look as a babydoll or chemise. (Plus, I can give you first-hand reassurance that it’s comfortable to sleep in, too).

Also, if you’re loving the wet look, why not give our wet look and lace dress a go (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33909)? Like the halterneck, the higher neckline will help to keep everything in place, but the flattering wet look panelling offers a bit more coverage, if that’s what you’re after.

With Lovehoney Lingerie, as it’s all made by us, we do try to make the sizes as inclusive as we can (with things like the adjustable slider backs, or tie-up designs that can be easily tweaked for a range of sizes). However, we are always looking to improve our fits and styles, so any ideas are gratefully received :)

Thanks!

Sammi

Hi honeybun91,

Thanks for your question. I’ve had a chat with our buying team, who say the incorrect ‘Back in stock’ date is an ongoing tech problem, unfortunately (there seem to be a lot of gremlins in our system!), but if there is a particular product that you’d like to know when we’re getting back in stock, the best thing to do is drop the Customer Care team a line and they should be able to help.

If we’re ceasing to stock an item, then below the ‘Add to Basket’, you’ll see a message that says, ‘Hurry! This discontinued item won't be restocked!’.

Hope that’s some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi Sxleksaker,

Thanks for your question. If your underbust measurement is 28” and your overbust is 32”, then I estimate that that would make you a 28D in UK sizing, rather than a 30. If you need more information on the sizing system, then do check out our buyer’s guide here: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sexy-lingerie/buyers-guide/how-to-choose-the-right-bra-size/

Hope that’s some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi Bexy,

Thanks for your question. We have stocked some vintage-inspired 6-strap suspender belts in the past, but found that, for some reason, they didn’t sell as well as the 4-strap which is why we don’t have as many on offer now.

Out of interest, though, have you seen this wet look belt from Leg Avenue http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=36803? It’s a 6-strap one with 3 rows of hook and eyes, and though it is wet look, it’s more of a subtle sheen than a PVC gloss effect.

Hope that’s some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Thanks sammi! this is helpful!

I also have another question. Can thights, stockings, bodystockings, etc (any kind of clothing using that same fabric) be washed? I fear of washing mine because I don't want to damage them or for them too because loose. Is there a recommended way to wash these? handwash? low temperature?

Hi Mamz, 

It's always recommended that you should handwash hosiery if you want it to last, because washing machines tend to break down the elasticity of the fibres from the very first time you wash them. 

With more delicate hosiery, such as stockings and hold-ups, or patterned tights, I'll always handwash them in lukewarm water with a little baby soap as a detergent.

With thicker things like 60-denier tights and some of the more opaque bodystockings, I have put them in a pillowcase in the washing machine at a low temperature (just not with bras or anything that could snag) and the've come out fine, but it's really up to you - just be aware that machine washing does reduce the life of your lingerie. 

Thanks!

Sammi

Kanu Suckmeov wrote:

mamz wrote:

My measurements are 29" underbust and 33" bust

But I remember reading something about 4" & 5" being the difference between under bust and full size (across nipples etc) The fact that you are 29" under you bust I think you should add 5", if you were 30" you would add the 4", thus making you a size 34" with a A cup. Every inch over the 4" or 5" rule increases the cup by one ie B C or D

I know Sammi didn't want other forum members to post here - but this is inaccurate, it's the old system of measuring bras.

Mamz, you should be in a 30 C or D.

Hi Sam,

Having a lady with gorgeous long legs (36 jeans length but 32 width) give a minor disadvantage on the stocking front. Which make can you recommend?

Thanks

Hi Sam, thanks for the informative reply. It's incredibly helpful 👍 oh I adore body stockings, have the minidress with stockings and it's a firm favourite as the looks stunning, and the comfort factors immense 😍😍 I've been looking at the halterneck dress version (no stockings frequently it's defiantly getting bought in the near future. I'm trying to 'be careful' atm....the joys of marriage 😂).

The adjusters are really great to tweak items to size, they're a fantastic addition and touch of genius for sure 👍

Just raided my collection (thank you for the excuse to do-so 😄) I've mostly items soft cups which you put perfectly 'they have more give for a better fit'. But I do really love more fitted lingere which does involve more structured busts which have less give. Perhaps I'm not tweaking them enough on the adjusters? I'm thinking, because I'm always going for maximum cleavage that's not going to help. Lol! Can't believe I've just realised 🙈 I'll have a lingere show later, for scientific purposes of course 😉 ajust them for more supportinstead of pushing them upto my chin 😂 I've no doubt that'll be very beneficial.

Thanks again 4 the advice it's much appreciated and super helpful👍💟xx

Hi RvanDoor, 

When it comes to stockings, I can't recommend Kix'ies enough! There are 4 different sizes, which are done by thigh width and height rather than dress size meaning you get the best fit for your legs each time. 

Judging by your measurements, I would recommend the size Bs or Ds, which fit up to 6' (although one of my colleagues is 6'2" and wears them quite comfortablty), depending on your thigh circumference

Alternatively, the plus size Leg Avenue stockings are quite long in the leg - I've got 32" legs and I'm a size 12/14 and the tops of the plus size options sit quite comfortably underneath my bum. 

Hope that's some help! 

Thanks, 

Sammi

Hi Bexy, 

I agree that 6-straps are much better for lasting hold throughout the day, especially having experienced a snapping plastic 4-strap in the past!

I'll pass the request onto our buying team to keep in mind for the future, though. 

Thanks, 

Sammi

Thank you for your advice in answer to my question.

Great thread - gonna keep you very busy!!!

Xxxx

Hi slinky binky,

Glad that was helpful! Tightening the straps too much can be a big factor in slippage, and can also be quite uncomfortable - as a guideline, you should be able to comfortably run two fingers under both sides of the bra for the best fit. Support is definitely the best way!

Thanks, 

Sammi

Lovehoney - Sammi Cole wrote:

Hi sugarboobies2232 and glittergirl,

thank you for replay it does seem plus size is not on as muchi click onto email daily so would be good if there was some way of combing same items in either size for deal of day purpose as effectively same item ?

Thanks for your question. It essentially comes down to our tech set-up at the moment. Because we list the plus and base sizes as two separate products and we can only ever have one product as ‘Deal of the Day’ at any one time, we have to pick one or the other when it comes to creating the deal. Over the course of the year, we try to make sure that this balances out so that both varieties are on offer at some point, but I can understand your frustration with this - I can assure you it’s nothing to do with ‘size discrimination’, it’s just a weird quirk of our website, unfortunately!

Hope that’s some help!

Thanks,

Sammi

Hi Sammi,

Thanks, I'll check if I can find something suitable...

Talk to you soon

RvanDoor