Best Sweets Of The 70`s

Inspired by the thread regarding the 80`s...

Aztec Bars (Cadbury`s version of a Mars Bar)

Amazin (Cadbury`s version of a Mars Bar with raisins)

Golden Cup (Delicious caramel filling)

Supermousse (Like a Milky Way but far better)

Border Eggs (Tartan foil wrapped version of a Creme Egg but with a gooey chocolate filling)

Mars Bars (I`ve included this because they tasted so much better in the 70`s)

Curly Wurly (They were about a foot long in those days)

Old Jamaica (Used to stuff ourselves on these trying to get drunk on the "rum")

Any others?

1 Like

Oh yes there's loads of my favs in that list WillC......I used to love Amazin and Border Eggs!

Swisskit - remember the ad on tv- ' I'll risk it for a Swisskit!'

Ice Breaker

Rumba

Bar Six

3 Likes

Mmmm Wildflower, loved Swisskit and Icebreaker! Bar Six, i remember correctly was Cadbury's version of a Kit Kat?

1 Like

Yes it was like a KitKat if I remember rightly

Forgot to add Spangles to the list ....they were lovely!

1 Like

Yes loads of different varieties of Spangles, wasn't keen on the Olde English ones! It's a wonder we still have our teeth! 🤣

2 Likes

Opal Fruits..."made to make your mouth water". Frys Five Centres...mmmmmm

1 Like

Coconut Banjo...Marathon...Toffos...

1 Like
This post is no longer available.

WillC wrote:

Yes loads of different varieties of Spangles, wasn't keen on the Olde English ones! It's a wonder we still have our teeth! 🤣

The orangeade Spangles were the best! The Olde English ones were revolting ![frown|20x20](upload://rWunPW3zYHdA0ypr4dRQnAP8JTy.gif "frown")

Nutty Bar- kind of a fudge log with peanuts stuck on it

Country Style - Red and white gingham wrapper

1 Like

Jilly, Toffos...lost a few fillings to those, i remember mint ones and various flavoured ones as well as the toffee ones!

Fry`s Five Centres, a box of chocolates in a bar! Cadbury`s did a Milk Tray one!

Coconut tobacco!

Scoob, you missed out on a lot! Today`s chocolate definitely isn`t as good as it was in the 70`s!

You could actually taste the chocolate, mallow and caramel in a Mars Bar, rather than the far too sweet homogenous mess they are nowadays!

1 Like

Yes the various flavoured toffos were my faves...there was a highland toffee bar plain or chocolate coated too...and yes WillC Mars bars were big and girthy and the different tasting layers were so yummy... a frozen Mars bar...well that's a different thread...🤪

1 Like

Yorkie bars, still my favourite. Toffee crunch (in jars, I used to buy 1/4 pound).

1 Like

Girthy frozen Mars Bars...Ooh Matron! ![](upload://kym5tZ5EfyJxs6TKHB1Q2HtGSpK.gif)

I remember the Everlasting Toffee Strip, about a foot long and delicious!

One thing that irritates me nowadays is buying a multi-pack of say Double Decker or Topics and the packaging is padded at the end to make you think the bars are longer than they are! Do they take us for fools?

1 Like

Knight1119 i love the raisin and biscuit Yorkie`s!

2 Likes

Will, I’m not keen on them to be honest. I totally agree about the reduced size bars in general, they’re not even a mouthful.

1 Like

Wildflower loved the orangeade spangles too...used to suck them till the middle holed and it sometimes cut your tongue...and Knight1119 the Yorkie chunks were massive...a right mouthful...(not for girls the ad used to say)...

1 Like

Jilly, that’s true they are big old chunks. I live on them 🙂

1 Like

CurvyJilly34F wrote:

Wildflower loved the orangeade spangles too...used to suck them till the middle holed and it sometimes cut your tongue.

Haha I used to do the same!

1 Like

Wildflower i forgot about Country Style in the gingham wrapper! If i remember correctly the ad featured a sexy milkmaid? Yes, Spangles did used to cut your mouth!

1 Like

CurvyJilly34F wrote:

Opal Fruits..."made to make your mouth water". Frys Five Centres...mmmmmm

You need to get to Poundland Jilly.

They are currently selling limited edition Opal Fruits. Original recipe, original flavours. They are properly hard, and the wrappers don't come off just like the originals. They are gorgeous.

Plus, Fry's have special edition creams out - not five centres but 4 different flavours - orange, peppermint, chocolate and raspberry. The raspberry ones are nice.

I think both the Opal Fruits and Fry's Creams are available elsewhere, but Poundland round us seems to be a good solid supply.

2 Likes