Bikini wax virgin. Any advice/suggestions?

I recently switched out my boring old underwear for sexier/lacier ones to wear daily. I love wearing them but what I don’t love is my dark pubic hair being seen through the lace or the hairs that can stick out unflatteringly through the fabric. Shaving is annoying as the hairs just grow back quickly and stubbly.

So I was thinking about getting a bikini wax but I’ve never had one before. I’ve used the little DIY home kits but they weren’t very effective and I’d rather pay a professional to do it properly.

I’m not really sure what to expect or what style to get. Maybe a Brazilian or a Hollywood? I really don’t know…(Maybe they can give me a little bat or skull shape just in time for Halloween, lol. Just kidding).

Would love some advice and suggestions so I feel a little clued up before going in blind. Thanks!

My wife takes a couple of painkillers before she attends a session.

WillC wrote:

My wife takes a couple of painkillers before she attends a session.

Ah, good thinking! Thank you.

Agreed with taking painkillers beforehand. Really helps!

The ladies who work in salons tend to be very welcoming to people that are new to bikini waxes and they’ll go through the steps with you as they are doing them so you know what’s coming next and what to expect.

I’d go for a Brazilian for the first time & see how that goes. If you like the results and want to go smoother, opt for the full bare treatment on the next visit?

Drink half a bottle of vodka. The wife tried a home wax strip on me as I was laughing at her. Lesson learnt!!!

You can purchase a product online called Dr Numbskin, it is a lidocaine cream. It’s a bit messy and difficult to apply but it does confer about 45 minutes of numbness to the skin. It won’t completely eliminate pain but it significantly reduces it. I have seen it used on female intimate areas and there was no burning or irritation but use caution. I have administered a Brazilian wax to my partner both with and without and she is defiantly more comfortable with but it does draw things out.

NatandTom wrote:

Agreed with taking painkillers beforehand. Really helps!

The ladies who work in salons tend to be very welcoming to people that are new to bikini waxes and they’ll go through the steps with you as they are doing them so you know what’s coming next and what to expect.

I’d go for a Brazilian for the first time & see how that goes. If you like the results and want to go smoother, opt for the full bare treatment on the next visit?

Thank you! I made my appointment over the phone and the lady sounded lovely and welcoming. She told me that my hair needs to be long enough for the treatment to be effective. I hope 3 weeks worth of growth is enough. I'm one week in and it's already getting irritating, lol.

I haven't decided what style to go for yet as the lady said we'd talk about it during my visit. But yes, most probably a Brazilian. I want the back and sides bare but I don't mind there being a little hair on the front.

I am also going for a first time wax (Saturday) and was recommended painkillers beforehand and to ensure they use hot/warm wax for intimate areas. I am not a fan of any hair so leaving mine to grow has been frustrating but I’m hoping it’s worth it! Good luck!

Delightful87 wrote:

I am also going for a first time wax (Saturday) and was recommended painkillers beforehand and to ensure they use hot/warm wax for intimate areas. I am not a fan of any hair so leaving mine to grow has been frustrating but I’m hoping it’s worth it! Good luck!

Warm wax or sugaring wax are both fine, strip waxing is definitely not. The primary difference is warm wax and sugaring will not stick to your skin, only the hair. Your genital skin is very tender and tears easily.

I prefer strip wax to any other wax as its much faster but many people think its not for intimate areas where as I refuse to visit salons with warm wax after a VERY bad experience, I take 2 painkillers 45 minutes before, over with in 15 minutes nothing to be worried about I usually go all off, I think if your sitting through it already you might as well take the plunge!

Delightful87 wrote:

Oooh, another first timer. Hope it goes well and you're happy with the results. Good luck :D

1993princess wrote:

I prefer strip wax to any other wax as its much faster but many people think its not for intimate areas where as I refuse to visit salons with warm wax after a VERY bad experience, I take 2 painkillers 45 minutes before, over with in 15 minutes nothing to be worried about I usually go all off, I think if your sitting through it already you might as well take the plunge!

Oh dear! What happened with the warm wax at the salon if you don't mind me asking..You don't have to answer of course.

But, yes. I've got my painkillers ready and waiting.

1993princess wrote:

What exactly do you get waxed? it is reasonably possible to have bakini line done with strips but the outer labia does not go well with strips in my experience, skin is far too elastic and delicate.

Also, I doubt it is actually faster. A good professional with warm wax or sugar should be able to do a full brazillian in less than 15 minutes.

Oo I am interested... I have never been for a wax at a salon, although I bought a home kit! Didn’t really hurt on the outside and not as much on the top... but Jesus!! I cried on the lips. Never had the courage to pull it off myself so had my partner do it. I tried to let it grow to have it done professionally, couldn’t leave it though. Would love to have it done professionally, although I wouldn’t go my local, I’d be too embarrassed. Good luck!!

I hope that the newbies to waxing weren't put off by their experiences and would definitely recommend painkillers a half hour before treatment time.

I've had both hot wax strips and warm waxing and would definitely say I much prefer the warm wax experiences, smoother afterwards too. I've never felt better and it was all over within 15 mins. The salon I now go to is really friendly, the first time I had a Hollywood they explained everything, at first I felt laid bare (excuse the pun) but as their website explains and the girls say themselves there isn't much they haven't seen and it's their job!

I would say my experience was quite positive. The lady was very chatty and friendly. I had full leg and a Hollywood. Going back in a couple weeks for another as she explained it all depends on where in the hair growth cycle the hairs are when you have your wax. It was pretty painless (though I have a high pain threshold) and would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t like hair down there!

KingGrthy wrote:

1993princess wrote:

What exactly do you get waxed? it is reasonably possible to have bakini line done with strips but the outer labia does not go well with strips in my experience, skin is far too elastic and delicate.

Also, I doubt it is actually faster. A good professional with warm wax or sugar should be able to do a full brazillian in less than 15 minutes.

I have a full hollywood, I have no issue with the labia with the wax strips -My therapist applies some sort of pre-wax treatment beforehand to stop the wax sticking to skin (she uses honey wax not regular wax) I hate the waiting for warm wax to get tacky I feel myself perspirating just thinking about it now lol, I had an awful experience with a lady using warm wax that I actually left half way through the wax as it was completely unbearable but it may have just been the poorly skilled therapist that I visited maybe I should give it another go I'm just terrified of walking out like cruella devile again ![](upload://5BDs2y1gm13l2R58ovmAMxyNM3f.gif)

Just make sure the person doing it is actually competent!!!! The woman who did my last wax completely shredded all of my skin, leaving me with burns, cuts and blisters so i've never been back!!

MrandMrs_L wrote:

Just make sure the person doing it is actually competent!!!! The woman who did my last wax completely shredded all of my skin, leaving me with burns, cuts and blisters so i've never been back!!

Oooff! What a nightmare!

I hope my one knows her stuff. The salon I chose has quite good reviews which is promising. Just under a week to go now. I'm excited because I'm sick of being hairy but anxious since I've never had a wax before. I'll be sure to write about my fresh exerience afterwards to help other bikini wax virgins.

I'm.planning on having my 1st hollywood next Friday ready for a surprise spa night for me and hubby. I've always shaved so dreading it. I wax my own eyebrows and that's bad enough. No pain no gain as some say lol. Few of my friends have it done regularly and say it's not too bad so fingers crossed lol