Bikini wax virgin. Any advice/suggestions?

UPDATE:

Ok, so I had my first wax done about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I won't lie, it HURT but not enough that I wouldn't get it done again. I did take painkillers beforehand but it still hurt (especially on the lips! Ouch!). I ended up getting the Brazillian strip.

The salon lady was very nice and I felt bad for involuntarily swearing at her, lol. She explained that my first wax may not be so great as the hair is on different growth cycles so it may take several treatments for it to be more desirable. She told me not to shave it and to just wait until it's time for the next wax otherwise I'd be back to square one.

Um...a few things that surprised me about my first wax:

1. She didn't remove my underwear and instead told me to hold and pull it to the side. I thought, "Well, if you're waxing down there you wouldn't want anything in the way, right?" Interesting.

2. She didn't wax my butt hair? She said they only wax the front, sides and slightly underneath but not the butt area. Oh, well. I let my butt hair grow for nothing but at least I got to shave it off when I got home which was satisflying.

3. I found that the hairs grew back sooner than I expected (not all of them though. I'm still smooth in places). The total smoothness lasted about a week. Maybe this increases with more treatments?

4. I was pretty sore and sensitive for the next few days and I got those little "white heads" from the hair follicles. Not very nice. I was "out of action" for a few days.

5. How satisfying that after wax lotion is, mmm... The lady said I could help myself to it and I well and truly did, haha.

6. It hurt when she was plucking out some of the stubborn hairs with tweezers...

It wasn't a bad experience and I think my strip looks quite cute and sexy. I'm interested to see how my next treatment goes and how it fares to the first one.

Glad to hear your first experience wasn't too traumatic! I remember getting my first Hollywood and to save embarrassment she didn't all of butt area. I think they just assume on your first time, you might not be so sure. I usually remove my underwear completely!, The lips are definitely the worst by far! I've been getting a Hollywood, let's say for the last 6 months? Hair definitely doesn't grow in as thick and is much thinner! I've never had any of the white head kinda things, so that's a bit unlucky for you. Hopefully after the next few times they'll settle. Might just be your skin being sensitive. In conclusion, welcome to the waxing crew woo! :)

ChloJakes wrote:

Glad to hear your first experience wasn't too traumatic! I remember getting my first Hollywood and to save embarrassment she didn't all of butt area. I think they just assume on your first time, you might not be so sure. I usually remove my underwear completely!, The lips are definitely the worst by far! I've been getting a Hollywood, let's say for the last 6 months? Hair definitely doesn't grow in as thick and is much thinner! I've never had any of the white head kinda things, so that's a bit unlucky for you. Hopefully after the next few times they'll settle. Might just be your skin being sensitive. In conclusion, welcome to the waxing crew woo! :)

Hmm, I suppose each salon has their own way of doing things. Very interesting to read your experience. I heard if you put an ice pack on yourself soon after waxing it will make the white heads less likely to show up so I'll have to try it next time.

HunnyMonster29 wrote:

UPDATE:

Ok, so I had my first wax done about 2 weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I won't lie, it HURT but not enough that I wouldn't get it done again. I did take painkillers beforehand but it still hurt (especially on the lips! Ouch!). I ended up getting the Brazillian strip.

The salon lady was very nice and I felt bad for involuntarily swearing at her, lol. She explained that my first wax may not be so great as the hair is on different growth cycles so it may take several treatments for it to be more desirable. She told me not to shave it and to just wait until it's time for the next wax otherwise I'd be back to square one.

Um...a few things that surprised me about my first wax:

1. She didn't remove my underwear and instead told me to hold and pull it to the side. I thought, "Well, if you're waxing down there you wouldn't want anything in the way, right?" Interesting.

2. She didn't wax my butt hair? She said they only wax the front, sides and slightly underneath but not the butt area. Oh, well. I let my butt hair grow for nothing but at least I got to shave it off when I got home which was satisflying.

3. I found that the hairs grew back sooner than I expected (not all of them though. I'm still smooth in places). The total smoothness lasted about a week. Maybe this increases with more treatments?

4. I was pretty sore and sensitive for the next few days and I got those little "white heads" from the hair follicles. Not very nice. I was "out of action" for a few days.

5. How satisfying that after wax lotion is, mmm... The lady said I could help myself to it and I well and truly did, haha.

6. It hurt when she was plucking out some of the stubborn hairs with tweezers...

It wasn't a bad experience and I think my strip looks quite cute and sexy. I'm interested to see how my next treatment goes and how it fares to the first one.

I guess each salon does their own thing. The ones I've been to have had you strip from the waist down, and have definitely waxed the butt hair.

I found the waxing didn't last as long as I wanted, which is why I went for electrolysis on my armpits. When I can afford it, I'll get some more electrolysis. For me, the long term results are better (although short term pain is worse). Not sure I'd get my pubes completely done by electrolysis, as the choice might be nice, but certainly butt hair, stray random hairs and some of the worst leg ones are in my sights.

@KinkyMira

Yes, I did think it was a little odd. To be fair though, it's probably better they didn't wax the butt hair because it drove me mad growing it out in the first place. I wouldn't have liked to keep growing it out just to get waxed over and over. At least now I can shave it every other day to keep it in check. I've just left everything else be until my next wax.

I was also a little disappointed by how long the smoothness lasted but I think if I keep going it will last longer. There are even parts now that are still smooth and the hair definitely isn't as thick as it was.

I don't think I would get that treatment. Waxing is painful enough so I don't think I would like being zapped on my most intimate area. Ouch! Lol.

HunnyMonster29 wrote:

I was also a little disappointed by how long the smoothness lasted but I think if I keep going it will last longer. There are even parts now that are still smooth and the hair definitely isn't as thick as it was.

I don't think I would get that treatment. Waxing is painful enough so I don't think I would like being zapped on my most intimate area. Ouch! Lol.

Yes I am hoping that the smoothness continues for longer with each wax, but the hair always feels softer after waxing than after shaving, even my husband noticed that.

I use an epilator on my legs which is great for the same effect as waxing (longer between uses, softer hair, some patches don't come back at all) but no way I would use it for Hollywood purposes, my goodness that doesn't bear worth thinking about. Shaving is such a pain though, so repetitive.

Yes, I think it does get better, although in my case, frustratingly slowly. That is why I had my armpits zapped, as they were still uncomfortable.

I find epilators to be more painful than the electrolysis though. I find epilators to be excruciatingly painful. From talking to my friends, I don't think they feel the same way though.

KinkyMira wrote:

Yes, I think it does get better, although in my case, frustratingly slowly. That is why I had my armpits zapped, as they were still uncomfortable.

I find epilators to be more painful than the electrolysis though. I find epilators to be excruciatingly painful. From talking to my friends, I don't think they feel the same way though.

I had an epilator years ago for my legs and I compared it to a form of torture, haha. Only used it once or twice and got rid of it.

I know I'm going to sound mad now, but sometimes I'll pluck my leg hairs with tweezers. It takes ages but I find it quite therapeutic. I know this is essentially what an epilator does but I can bare one pluck at a time but a group of them is agony. Not to mention, one tweezer is more accurate than them all nipping and pulling at whatever they can grab.

Congratulations! I’m off for my Third wax next week. Strange what I consider ‘me time’ 🤣 mines already growing back softer and less of it so I definitely think you’ll see an increase in smoothness time wise. My salon gets me to strip from the waist down but I get full leg wax and a Hollywood every month, not sure if that makes a difference. I also then pluck some of the stray pubic hairs when I get home if there’s any she has missed

Delightful87 wrote:

Congratulations! I’m off for my Third wax next week. Strange what I consider ‘me time’ 🤣 mines already growing back softer and less of it so I definitely think you’ll see an increase in smoothness time wise. My salon gets me to strip from the waist down but I get full leg wax and a Hollywood every month, not sure if that makes a difference. I also then pluck some of the stray pubic hairs when I get home if there’s any she has missed

I've got my 2nd wax next week. I can't wait to be smooth again.

Haha, yes. I also plucked out some of the "stragglers" when I got home. There's no escape! Every hair must go!

Only time I ever got one I was left battered and bruised but then I didn’t have much faith in the ‘beautician’ that did it from the start, deffo take painkillers before and follow any/all aftercare instructions given to you, make sure you use a known salon who has a good reputation and you should be ok, my experience has put me off and I won’t go for another one now, I hate shaving so much though I might have to trust someone to do it for me, I’ll be following all advice in this thread then!

It isn't bad. I've been smooth for a few years and get waxed and am fine with it now.

They should definitely be waxing butt hair... Ive used 3 different waxers/ beauty therapists and all 3 turn you over at the end to do butt hair, strangely for me its the most satisfiying part because its not painful at all and it means the wax is over lol hallelujah you made it out alive! After 5 or 6 waxes you will notice a huge difference in the amount of hair that grows back although mine still grows pretty quick which I hate!

UPDATE 2:

I got my second wax about 2 weeks ago so I thought it would be interesting to compare my first time and second time. Umm...but for whatever reason I ended up with an "accidental" Hollywood even though I asked for another Brazilian strip. But no matter, I don't mind being bare. A different beautician did it this time. Here's the things I've noted:

1. The pain was nowhere near as bad as the first time (and I forgot to take painkillers). It only hurt on the part where my unwaxed Brazilian strip was from last time.

2. This beautician didn't do any plucking so I was busy when I got home, lol. (Especially on the inside of my lips).

3. I barely got any white heads this time.

4. The hair is growing back a bit slower than before and there are still parts that are bare.

5. The sensitivity and soreness after the wax didn't last as long and I was able to "play" a few hours afterwards without discomfort. Yay!

I felt like this beautician didn't do as good a job as my usual one so I hope my next appointment goes well in January and I get my one again. I think I'm actually just going to go for a Hollywood from now on so they can get all the pesky hair.

I don't think I could ever have a bikini wax, definitely not brave enough haha. I use a Philips lumea ipl thingy and it works wonders for me! It's a tad uncomfortable to use on the lips (kind of feels like having an elastic band snapped against your skin) but not painful as such. I used it regularly last year before a holiday and it only took about 2 months of using it before almost all of the hair was gone. I've not used it now for over a year and the hair has never grown back properly, it's now much more sparse and a lot, lot thinner and less wiry if that makes sense.

@butterflybee - I've never heard of these things but they sound interesting. Are you really ok to use them on your intimate area, though? Like could you give yourself a Hollywood or Brazilian with it?

HunnyMonster29 wrote:

@butterflybee - I've never heard of these things but they sound interesting. Are you really ok to use them on your intimate area, though? Like could you give yourself a Hollywood or Brazilian with it?

Yep perfectly safe, even comes with an attachment for intimate areas. I've used mine all over and had no issues, I must admit though that using it on your labia is a tad more uncomfortable than elsewhere, a little bit eyewatering at first but fine once you get used to it! I forgot to add on my previous post, it has different intensity settings too so you can gradually build it up. Obviously using the lowest setting takes much longer to see any hair loss. I know it doesn't work as well for certain skin types too (from what I remember, if you have dark skin it might not work as well). Yeah you could easily do a hollywood/Brazilian. The actual part that emits the flash of light is only a couple of inches in length and maybe an inch or so in depth, so you simply flash the areas that you want to remove the hair and not where you want to keep the hair 😊