Board Games (non-sexy)

Continuing the discussion from Board Games:

Does anyone play proper board games? If so what are your favourites, and what are your recs? :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a pretty decent board game stash, but we haven’t played them anywhere near as much as we used to since we had kids. Though I’m hoping it won’t be too much longer before I can teach them how to play some of my favourites. :slightly_smiling_face:

My top favourite is Fluxx, which is normally a card game with a unique deck, but they also have a board game version now too. You have to collect the items from the current goal, but the rules are constantly changing depending what cards/actions are taken - the goal can change, the amount of moves, the amount of cards played, how many cards you can have in your hand, weird bonuses… There are also quite a lot of themed variations for the card decks, which are quite fun. I like the Cthulu set, though I might start the kids off with the Pirate one. :slightly_smiling_face:

Another top one is Acquire, though it does need three people (but that’s its only downside :slightly_smiling_face:). You take turns to place a tile on the board to create and enlarge different hotels, which you then buy shares in. Play till the tiles have run out, then work out what your shares are now worth, and cash out. Winner is the moneybags. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s a fantastic alternative to Monopoly, and leaves you wondering who the winner is all the way through. :+1:

My most treasured one is my Discworld Ankh-Morpork board game. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s got a beautiful board, and you can play as lots of different characters from the books. Each character has a different way to win, and you have to adapt your strategy to fit (whilst also trying to block others from their particular path to victory). It is fun with two, but adding more people does make it trickier. :slightly_smiling_face:

They’re mine, how about yours? :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I used to play board games when I younger. Monopoly was a favourite as well as battle ships, draughts and chess. I still play chess a few times a day against the computer.

1 Like

We like an occasional game of scrabble :grinning:

1 Like

I’m a bit of a board game nut also - I’ve worked with quite a few board game companies also!

3 Likes

Yes! I love a board game. They come out fully for Christmas. Monopoly is a classic, but I love Risk. Battleship has also made an appearance in recent years.

We still have a super old version of Totopoly which is a kinda horse racing thing!

2 Likes

I enjoy Ticket to Ride, both the European and US versions.

Game of Life always used to be fun.

Technically not a board game, but Cards Against Humanity is a good laugh with the right people!

4 Likes

Played operation today lol

1 Like

We have a collection of them that just seems to keep on growing. Me and my partner usually play, but sometimes we’ll have others with us to make a group of 3-4. Got so many that there’s loads we still haven’t even played yet. Ones we play often include:

Azul
Wingspan
Dino Dump
Horrified
Unmatched
Happy Little Dinosaurs
Santorini
Seikatsu: A Pet’s Life
Ticket to Ride
Jaws
Mysterium
Jamaica
Here to Slay

4 Likes

Great list.

We have…lots. We went through a mad splurge over a year and now I have a whole bunch of
Kickstarter games at various points around the globe waiting to get delivered.

All I need now is time to play them.

3 Likes

We don’t own any board games anymore. We downsized quite a bit because it seemed like we were moving to a different place every 6-12 months (whenever our leases would end) and wanted to be able to pack up with short notice. I try to limit how often I play because I become a really annoying person :joy: I get extremely competitive whenever playing board games and get really petty about rules (gotta do what it takes to win) :+1:

2 Likes

Yesss!! I only have a few games… :stuck_out_tongue:

Recent go to games have been:
Splendor
Roll for It
Carcasonne
Sushi Go
Ticket to Ride
Tsuro

Have a load more on the shelf :slight_smile:

5 Likes

We’ve got hundreds. Been collecting and playing for about the last 20 years. Would class myself a wargamer, and professional wargame artist, though these days, with not seeing many people outside of the immediate family, its mostly Euros. Of the wargames … my favourites are probably the Combat Commander series and then a number of Columbia type block games. Of the Euros, I’m not always sure of the demarkation line so I’ll say Twighlight Struggle, Arkham Horror LCG/Eldritch Horror, and the lighter two players like Lost Cities, Star Realms etc.

2 Likes

I have Arkham LCG and loved the first mission and then haven’t been able to play the second one, even though I’ve picked up most of the Dunwich Legacy.

I really like Splendor and the click clack of the tokens!

I didn’t get on with Star Realms but loved Cthulhu Realms!

1 Like

My missus is addicted to Wingspan…

I’m properly addicted to board games too…

Games I can wholly recommend are

Wingspan (better with all the expansions tho)
Isle of Cats
Calico
Baerenpark (Bear park)
Quacks of Quedlingburg
Gingerbread House
Azul
Ticket to ride (Europe)
Brew

These are once’s that get regular rotation at our house…

Also strong mentions for ‘Buccaneer’ (from the 1970s/80s( and Labrynth (mostly as my son has the mario edition and loves playing it)

I’ve got too many others to mention…

4 Likes

Ooh forgot Camel Up! That’s a great party game!

1 Like

We have a few different board games in our house, last night we played Scrabble trickster with the kids which is one of the kids favourites.

1 Like

I still find it too difficult. :slightly_smiling_face: I inadvertently said “Oops, he’s dead” the first time I buzzed it when we played it with the kids, and obviously that’s what they then started calling the game.

Ticket to Ride is getting a lot of mentions. I may have to see if I can rustle one of those up.

1 Like

I must be so behind the times; I don’t recognised any of the games named above, except for the classics like Monopoly, Battle Ships, and Scrabble.

Needless to say I do not own any nowadays. I can’t actually remember playing many when I was younger either; I think my mum wouldn’t let us play them for fear of getting bits stuck in the hoover or having us argue/fight all the time.

I remember playing cards instead, but I don’t play now, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Cards are always awesome too - we had many a great family time playing cards when we were kids with my parents and grandparents together….

2 Likes

Thx @Ian_Chimp your thread has triggered my additions….just ordered three more (using Christmas presents as an excuse)

Ticket to ride is really good - it’s just has an anniversary!

They do localised versions so if your in Europe the European version probably is more identifiable but to be honest it doesn’t really matter. Pre-covid we had plenty of games nights with friends with ticket to ride!

It’s worth the money - and it’s widely available nowadays - although it’s always nice to support you local board game shop!

There are huge ranges of games now - we as a family like the puzzle type games, so calico, isle of cats and bear park all use tile building/Tetris style, wingspan is an ‘engine building game’ and ticket to ride is similar to risk in a way. - they’re all great fun.

If you want to drop yourself in a YouTube hole look up board game geeks or tower gaming, they’ll have playthrouggsmof most games!

3 Likes