Butt plug - did I do something wrong?

OK, I have the Doc Johnson Mood Naughty Large Silicone Butt Plug and other reviews state it does not have a nasty or any particular smell. I have the feeling mine is becoming smellier with each use. I do clean it thoroughly with sex toy cleaner spray and lots of hot water - prior and after use. I also did use hand wash to clean it in the beginning.

And I thought silicone toys are supposed to be odourless.

There's always a smell on our silicone anal toys no matter how well they are cleaned. Not sure there's anything you can do

So, I guess flexible and non-smelly is not an option. Perhaps I should try metal or glass plugs. I am only worried they would be too rigid. :)

I'm exactly the same. Haven't tried glass because it's rigid, but it will be the next butt plug I get. People rave about them, so they obviously work well for some people.

I had the same worries about glass but i think its just about getting the right size and shape to suit.
My favourite plug is the njoy steel plug which i comfortably use during sex in fact its one of the few i can get to stay in.
I have however tried glass dildos which were a bit bigger for dp and the rigidity rather than the size did make it uncomfortable so just need to find the right balance i think, i would recommend them though.

To be honest I find glass is easier to insert into my bottom but perhaps thats just me! I wouldn't suggest glass if you are having a vigorous session with lots of bending as it is rigid but if you use a fairly narrow dildo it pops out anyway or if you want larger perhaps a squat one would suit. I use the lh beginners plug sorry i cant attach it here.

My OH has got rubber, silicone, metal and glass butt plugs, she doesn't like how fiddly the bendy plugs can be when trying to insert or the smell, she likes the metal plug but it is very heavy which she says feels good but not for long term, her favourite by far is the glass plug, like the metal its easier to insert, slips in easier, also lighter, the neck is wider so keeps her open more and what surprised her most it is the most comfortable for long periods of insertion, but best of all it's a lot more hygienic and has no smell. X

So I guess, glass it is :)

I have a variety of rubber, silicone and glass anal toys.

Firstly the smell - I do find a smell sometimes from the rubber and silicone toys, even after washing thoroughly. My opinion is that that is just the nature of the material. Howver this has never put me off playing with them. Glass as youd expect has no smell.

Usability:

Rubber and Silicon- soft (varying degrees of soft to firm) but never solid. Comfortable for penetration as it is somewhat forgiving. Can be fiddly for insertion if it is very soft/jelly like. Use plenty of lube which needs to be topped up every so often.

Glass - solid, cold or hot depending how you prepared it. Insertion is somwhat more comfortable as it requires less lube and still feels smoother due to the nature of the material. However it is hard and solid and our bodies are not. It will not change shape to your body's size or structure and it will always win! I use glass so slow anal play as it is so smooth. Make sure you are very relaxed with it.

I do not have a preference and they all have their merits

I have these plugs and they have no smell to them at all :) xx

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=22772

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=16479

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=21767

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=28697

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=24423

Also I have this anal wand which is amazing and also has no smell at all - yes I own a lot of butt toys :P xx

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=23981

Silicone. Pure silicone, is odourless. take for example Tantus dildos (Completely smell free) and Lelo silicone (Again no smell at all.) but you pay more for it. Sometimes, pure silicone products can pick up a slight chemical odour from the packaging and glue used to make the packaging and for a week or so after you have opened the product, it might have a slight odour, but it vanishes.

However, those products are pure silicone. My personal opinion is that products with a smell, even though labelled "silicone" are actually either a cheaper silicone (not as pure) or they are silicone blends (Mixed with rubber or what-not) and yup, those toys do smell. The smell doesn't really go away.I also own a Doc Johnson Mood plug and I am not convinced that it is pure grade silicone, simply because of A) the price (Pure silicone is a bit more pricey) and B) The rubbery smell it has, which has not vanished, and I have had it months now. (Silicone doesn't smell rubbery) I have always suspected Doc Johnson use a cheaper silicone blend, as all their toys have a strongish smell and they are cheap to purchase. That is just my opinion though and obviously I have no proof.

I would recommend opting for a Tantus plug. If you want a pure silicone, odour free, non porous, silicone plug.

If you do go for glass or metal, I would recommend going a shade smaller than what you normally manage to take with silicone because, as you said, it is rigid and has no flex or movement or squish and so these toys can actually feel bigger and harder to insert than a product made from silicone of the same size and shape. For example, my partner and I can reasonably easily manage the tantus Ryder, with its 5 inch girth, but we cannot get the icicles no 25 inside, without like, half hour or more of trying. That is 5 inches in girth too. Go an inch smaller. Jenson is right though, glass feels much smoother and easier to insert in one aspect, and that is that it does not cause any dragging sensations, like silicone does. It glides a lot easier.

Hi Menyanthe, are you talking 'out of the packet' smell or 'out of the bum' smell (i.e. poo)?
I thought silicone was supposed to be non-porous but after use and a thorough clean I found my itty bitty butt plug smelt a bit nasty. It does put me off silicone and am considering getting a glass butt plug to see if that is any better. (I've tried two types of cleaner as well).

It did have a slight smell when I first took it out of the packet, but it seemed to get worse when I washed it with hot water after use. So, I am not sure if the temperature is to blame.

LetsTryThis wrote:

Hi Menyanthe, are you talking 'out of the packet' smell or 'out of the bum' smell (i.e. poo)?
I thought silicone was supposed to be non-porous but after use and a thorough clean I found my itty bitty butt plug smelt a bit nasty. It does put me off silicone and am considering getting a glass butt plug to see if that is any better. (I've tried two types of cleaner as well).

i don't get on with anything other than glass for the same reason. Have a few silicone plugs that seem to hold a bit of a smell after use (despite cleaning) which isn't strong, but puts me off knowing its there.

I looked at all the glass butt plugs, but there isn't anything that looks suitable for me. Except maybe this one: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29231. However, it is double ended, so it will not be suitable for longer wear.

truegrace wrote:

LetsTryThis wrote:

i don't get on with anything other than glass for the same reason. Have a few silicone plugs that seem to hold a bit of a smell after use (despite cleaning) which isn't strong, but puts me off knowing its there.

Am totally the same and I think the fact that I know it's there makes me smell it even more. (If that makes sense).

LetsTryThis wrote:

truegrace wrote:

LetsTryThis wrote:

Am totally the same and I think the fact that I know it's there makes me smell it even more. (If that makes sense).

need to get myself a glass plug, or metal! Only have glass dildos which i have been making do with but need to plug so it stays in without needing an extra hand!

I find all silicone toys have a smell
( don't know what they say it dosent)

But I think glass is amazing!

menyanthe wrote:

I looked at all the glass butt plugs, but there isn't anything that looks suitable for me. Except maybe this one: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=29231. However, it is double ended, so it will not be suitable for longer wear.

My OH has this glass plug and loves it! X http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=19934