Can't find my depression post so here's a new one that's an update.

So went back to the doctor I've been given the number of a counsellor to call any time if I change my mind but for now as things are a little (just a little) bit better to see if things continue to get better on its own but I can call any time to get the ball rolling and go to the doctors any time I need to as well.

I have told my friends (family already knew) an they're all extremely supportive, the guy I was seeing got back in contact with me the other night asking if I was ok I (still in a mood with him) replied didn't think it mattered and he put don't be stupid always matters and my heart melted (didn't let him know of course) he said he just wanted to check I was ok and apologise to me (even though my mum, his sister and the girl he's seeing said for him to never message me again and made him block me so we could move on but he said he needed to know if I was ok) it felt kinda nice that he messaged. After everything he still cares, at first I thought he never cared like I did but he must do. We aren't back together but it's nice for him to still keep an eye on me and be protective.

Still chatting to Mr sexy and although he doesn't know about the guy I was seeing he's helped take my mind off it.

Saw grandparents last weekend they're doing really well. Turns out when we made the emergency trip to granddad (pancreas problems not sure if I mentioned it?) turns out he had such strong pain killers he knew we were there and was acting normal but the next day he didn't believe we'd been there until my dad, nan and the nurses told him we had been. He didn't remember due to pain killers. But he's out and at home and doing fine think we are going back soon.

These little things have helped me a little but it's only a little not a whole lot so I'm thinking of waiting before I call a counsellor but I can choose to do so at any time I like.

TBH I think if you were offered counselling then you ought to take it . At end of the day they are trained professionals and may be able to get you out of your depression quicker than trying by yourself. I know and it includes myself here , a lot of us feel seeing health proffesionals as a daunting experience but once you are there it doesn't seem as bad.

I am also quite sure as you are amongst friends on here posting threads and getting responses is another way perhaps to help you with your depression .

Kirsty I agree huni. They're supposed to be proffesionals! Not always the case!! But I think it would help you. Not sure if the guy on guy off, ph guy etc is helping your cause but maybe a distraction that you can cope with.

Sorry to hear about your grandparent, it's never easy is it x

Counselling can help, but only if you're ready for it. I've seen multiple psychologists over the last 10 years and unless you feel ready progress is minimal and very slow.

VirginAngel wrote:

Counselling can help, but only if you're ready for it. I've seen multiple psychologists over the last 10 years and unless you feel ready progress is minimal and very slow.

+1 This is very true!

At least the option is there for you should you want/need it :)

Thanks guys and idk what to do I've got the number so I can ring any time I like.

Bare in mind the waiting list will probably be long when you call, id be inclinded to ring it now and get on the list.

And then cancel of I feel I don't need it? I don't want to have to cancel it but I don't want to wait too long then get worse then have to wait longer

Where i live it was a 6 week wait for cbt if you self referred (mine was shorter because i had a gp referral), but that was only for the initial assessment. The actual course didn't start for a further month or so depending on which course you wanted to attend.

You can always cancel if you wanted but part of counsellingcan be teaching you how to deal with problems in the future. It might be helpful to go even if you dont feel too bad at the time.

Yeah I guess you're right I'm just not looking forward to it. Sat in a room with a stranger being expected to them things I wouldn't tell my family or best friends of forever.

You arnt expected to do anything and they wont force you. You just have to see how you feel and say what you feel comfortable saying, if thats nothing then thats ok. Remember they are bound to confidence as well so nothing you did say would be repeated.

Yeah that's true. If I go I'll have to stock up on tissues for crying I've held back a lot over the years especially lately. Having a more Emotional day today so maybe I need it

Ok I'm not sure what to do but with my current mood I'm leaning towards ringing. I keep crying, if I see that stupid cows name (even though I've deleted her) I feel like I'm gonna be sick and end up crying. Currently crying now I thought things were looking up.

I just feel empty, I feel like I need a man to make me feel a little better if only for an hour or so.

Its taking it one step at a time. If you ring and get on the list you can always cancel up until a couple of days before the appointment.

These things always go up and down, I know it awful to feel like you are getting worse but thats usually how it works. Things can and will improve again but taking every bit of help offered can only help.

Think I will have to give them a call and the only time I've ever felt confident and everything is with the last guy I was seeing.

Never other than then have I felt good about myself he's amazing and I had never felt so happy with him and everything in my life was great then pop goes the bubble and everything goes wrong at once

JM88 you're lucky you got a quick referral, i was told, even being referred by my doc, i'd be on a 2 year wait list! Phoned up after a year to see where abouts on the list i was, and despite a letter and phonecall confirmation of my referral i was never referred so had to start from the very beginning, the mental health care round here is virtually none existent.

VirginAngel wrote:

JM88 you're lucky you got a quick referral, i was told, even being referred by my doc, i'd be on a 2 year wait list! Phoned up after a year to see where abouts on the list i was, and despite a letter and phonecall confirmation of my referral i was never referred so had to start from the very beginning, the mental health care round here is virtually none existent.

Really? Wow.

I saw a gp who referred me, and the next day i got a call from the mental health team and spoke to a nurse who assessed me. He was the one who got me seen, although if i had been worse i would have received immediate help!

I guess im lucky in that where i live the mental health support is currently increasing and expanding so waiting lists arent that bad, and people have access to support almost immediately if they are in a really bad way.

Wow that's awful having to wait so long. I'm gonna see if it's better and quicker to get my doctor to refer me

Just spent 5 mins solid laughing and then burst into tears for nothing