can't sleep

Hi all. Random subject, but I was hoping one or some or any of you gorgeous lot could give me some tips or ideas. I've now not slept at all for 2 nights. I've worked 40 hours in 4 days, and had just 6 hours sleep. I'm pretty desperate.
For some reason, I've recently become overly aggravated by noise. Because of this, even tripple glazing windows are too noisy (there's a road right outside my window) for me to sleep. This never used to be.a.problem for me, but now I can't sleep without earplugs. This is fine, but I've now started getting problems with pain.
Is there anything you guys can recommend?? I've tried breathing techniques, lavender, a hot bath.. Nothing works!!

Fresh hops. They'll get you sleeping like a baby.

Oh now that's something I haven't been recommended yet! I will absolutely give them a go. Thank you for your quick reply!! :)

Sex or Masturbation any activity where you orgasm is supposed to help you drift off to sleep it helps me somtimes having your window open slightly or in a vent position for fresh air and getting out of bed walking round the house can help don't be tempted to look at your phone, tablet, laptop etc. anything that emits blue light it will wake you up and stop you from sleeping

I read somewhere that if you blink your eyes really fast for a minute it helps you sleep. I tried it and it really does make you eyes feel so heavy and tired (i couldnt last a full minute) and i did fall asleep pretty quick.

Another thing ive tried is putting my hand on my dog while hes sleeping and copying his breathing. That worked the best for me because all i was focusing on was breathing in and out, slowly and deeply. I was asleep within minutes. I suppose you can do the same without the dog, just focus on slow, deep breaths and try not to think of anything else.

ASMR videos.

A quick YouTube for 'ASMR' will kick up all sorts of roleplays (nonsexual!) and videos the like of which are certain (if you're anything like me) to have you dozing off with your phone in your hand.

I've heard it told that a bath with magnesium chloride flakes can help just before bed. If you have serious problems a trip to the GP may be in order to ensure there's no underlying health problem that could be triggering it.

My suggestion is right out if you can't stand noise then. I usually stick youtube on low on my phone on an 8 hour track of thunderstorms with heavy rain, always seems to work when nothing else does.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I will try every suggestion!! Hopefully I can sort this soon. Unfortunately my gp said there was nothing she could do. Didn't even attempt to investigate the issue.
Thankfully I have you lovely lot for advice!! Wish me luck

Morphalubrius wrote:

ASMR videos.

A quick YouTube for 'ASMR' will kick up all sorts of roleplays (nonsexual!) and videos the like of which are certain (if you're anything like me) to have you dozing off with your phone in your hand.

I just watched a few moments of a few videos to get the idea of them. Certainly feel more relaxed already. How clever!!

Cut out any Caffeine . Use Herbal type sleeping tablets .If it is becoming a real problem ie after everything else has been tried , then visit your GP.

There is a phone app called white noise which helps to mask the other road noise.

The only real way is to forget anything that you are worried about or working on as if your mind is still thinking you won't sleep. You don't park your car but leave the engine running!
If you do have things on your mind keep a paper and pencil by your bed to write them down on. That way you can deal with them when you wake up and not worry about forgetting.

Hope you sleep soon.

Great advice here. A couple of extra thoughts - if I am not tired, I have chammomile tea or warm milk about an hour before bed, which really helps me to switch off. Also a warm bath with some lavender essential oil before bed is really relaxing. I also use a Lavender pillow spray every night too - I use the Boots own brand one :) xx

All of the info above is bang on, but I had one thing to add.

You say you can sleep with ear plugs in, but find them painful? Have you considered trying disposable silicone putty ear plugs? They sit on the ear opening rather than in it. I find they're brilliant for blocking out sound all night, and are super-comfortable. My bf bulk buys them and wears them every night. 

Even though they're disposable, they're generally fine for a few wears, and a pack usually comes with plenty of pairs to set you up for a few weeks at a time. 

Here are the ones my OH uses: http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/sleeping-earplugs/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

Oooh, also, make sure you give yourself at least 30 minutes of screen-free time before you go to bed. That means no TV, phone or computer. Reading a book is fine, but the blue-based light in electronic devices really messes with the ability to drift off naturally. 

AND another thing I just remembered.... 

Taking Melatonin supplements before bed can help massively.

Melatonin is a hornome found naturally in animals, plants, fungi and bacteria in anticipation of the daily onset of darkness, but sometimes diet, stress and outside influences can affect your body's natural production. It's this hormone tells your brain to 'switch off' and sleep at night. If you're not producing enough of this hormone naturally, taking a supplement could be the boost you need to get a good nights' sleep. I'm pretty sure you can buy it in most decent chemists. 

AsYouWish! wrote:

There is a phone app called white noise which helps to mask the other road noise.

The only real way is to forget anything that you are worried about or working on as if your mind is still thinking you won't sleep. You don't park your car but leave the engine running!
If you do have things on your mind keep a paper and pencil by your bed to write them down on. That way you can deal with them when you wake up and not worry about forgetting.

Hope you sleep soon.

Thank you for your reply! I will definitely try the white noise thing!! I have a very high-stress job, and have recently completed more than my usual hours. I imagen that might have something to do with it. Hadn't thought of it before!

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

AND another thing I just remembered....

Taking Melatonin supplements before bed can help massively.

Melatonin is a hornome found naturally in animals, plants, fungi and bacteria in anticipation of the daily onset of darkness, but sometimes diet, stress and outside influences can affect your body's natural production. It's this hormone tells your brain to 'switch off' and sleep at night. If you're not producing enough of this hormone naturally, taking a supplement could be the boost you need to get a good nights' sleep. I'm pretty sure you can buy it in most decent chemists.

Thank you, Jess! I will absolutely be getting some of them!!! I hadn't realised there was even such a product. I imagen that they will really help. I must admit, I'm a bit of a technoaddict. Perhaps I should give myself a strict cut off point. I mean, I wouldn't let a child take a phone/tablet to bed!!