Charges when ordering from Europe

I live in the EU (Sweden) and starting December 31st I have to pay a :poop: load in customs and handling charges in order to receive packages sent from the UK.

No matter if I order from www.lovehoney.eu or www.lovehoney.co.uk, the package will be shipped from the UK.

I assume Iā€™m far from the only one thatā€™s faced with this huge problem!!!

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m starting this multiple-answer poll:

I live in a EU-country and:
  • Iā€™ll no longer order from LH.
  • Iā€™d place an order only if it would ship from within the EU.
  • Iā€™ll be placing fewer orders because of the extra fees.
  • Iā€™ll happily pay for all import and customs charges even for low-value orders or testers.
  • Iā€™d apply as a tester only if it ships from another EU-country.
  • Iā€™ll apply to review testers that have a high retail price.
  • Iā€™ll apply to review any testers no matter their retail price and Iā€™ll happily pay for the respective import and customs charges.

0 voters

I really hope that LH will get a warehouse in EU-ground ASAP!

Germany and Denmark seem to be the countries of choice for most European retailers that want to sell to both the UK and the EU.

3 Likes

I canā€™t see the results unless I vote, and thereā€™s no option for ā€˜Iā€™m sadly no longer a resident of the EUā€™. :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes

I was chatting about import charges from the U.S. recently and I know how much it can sting!

How much would the import duty be for you now?

Ah, gosh, I hadnā€™t realised youā€™d have to pay too, just assumed cost to send would increase. So is the only difference with the EU site the currency? Stock etc is the same as UK?

1 Like

I bought a headset the other day with a similar situation. Bought from the UK website thinking they will have a warehouse here then got an email from UPS saying I had an import fee of like 35% of the total order cost because the warehouse is in Denmark. Was fuming and now in a debate with the CS of the company

2 Likes

@Smultron - Iā€™m sure youā€™re not the only one too! This is the absurd reality of brexit and the so-called ā€˜trade dealā€™. :roll_eyes:

Any UK company that wants to keep its EU customer base will have to do as you say: set up proper EU-based warehouse facilities. Until that happens, there really wonā€™t be any point in lovehoney having a website with a .eu domain at all - and no point in EU customers ordering any goods.

I know thereā€™s been a huge amount of confusion and uncertainty as to how brexit would pan out, but I am tempted to say: UK companies who export to Europeā€¦ youā€™ve had nearly 4 yearsā€™ notice that this would happen. What were you doing for all this time that youā€™ve been caught on the hop like this?

2 Likes

Whilst I agree with your frustration, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s entirely fair to lay the blame at companiesā€™ feet over this.

Itā€™s really not as simple as setting up a shed in the EU! I work for a large international business and we set up a new EU warehouse in response to brexit. It has cost us millions.

In addition, you have to change the whole way your business operates. You have to forecast your sales in the UK and Eu separately, buy stock separately, if something sells better in the UK/EU and not the other, you canā€™t just move the stock in between, you need to set up an EU entity, the list goes on and on.

No offence to lovehoney, but they are a fraction of the size of my company and it was such huge burden, I canā€™t imagine how smaller companies could achieve it.

Add on top of that, with the uncertainty, there could have been a trade deal that rendered all of that investment unnecessary. An impossible position!

Sorry, about the rant, but itā€™s been a long day!

11 Likes

Ugh, Iā€™m sorry! I tried to edit the poll so that the results will always be visible but sadly it can only be edited during the first 5 minutes.

Iā€™m the only one who has voted so far. Iā€™ll be placing fewer orders and only apply for expensive testers.

2 Likes

I assume itā€™s just as bad.

Thereā€™s a Ā£11-12 handling fee per package plus 25% of the value of the contents, even if itā€™s a free product or an exchange.
However there are no costs if the sender is a private person (not a company).

It appears so, even though I havenā€™t compared everything thatā€™s listed on each site.

Oh, that sucks! :frowning: I hope you can refuse to pick it up and get a refund. :crossed_fingers:

Owchā€¦ import duty sucks :frowning:

1 Like

@PleasureDrone To be honest I havenā€™t been following Brexit that much, just read the biggest headlines. Therefore I donā€™t know if there was any uncertainty, hope or any action taken to come to a trade deal or agreement.

What I know for sure is that, at the moment, there are lots of UK-based online retailers that are faced with this problem.
Just yesterday I was checking out some clothes and there was a disclaimer on the site that they do not accept orders from EU-countries for the time being. Some retailers seem to be trying to figure out a solution now, and thatā€™s positive! =)

@Earl_Grey Thanks for the glimpse into how these things actually work!
I assumed it would cost both time and lots of money, and mean that the companies have to take a risk.

As someone talking about it in theory, I understand that the best option for most companies would have been to look into their EU-sales, see if a new warehouse (and all it involves) would be a viable, profitable option and, if so, get prepared to go through with it.

As a customer, I feel sad and upset that I have to choose to either pay an arm and a leg to order from my favourite UK shops, or I have to order from Swedish/ EU shops that generally have higher prices and a very limited product range.

Personally I have an extremely low income and even Ā£5-10 can make a huge difference. I understand that others are more financially comfortable and therefore not affected to the same degree.
For me, this change means that Iā€™ll have to treat myself to some ā€˜ā€˜luxuryā€™ā€™ snack instead of getting a sparkling new toy or lingerie, because my budget is limited and not flexible at all.

2 Likes

Customers might also want to know if the packages will be required to have customs declaration labels saying what the contents (and value) are. Just saying.

3 Likes

Blimey, not looking too great. Can only keep fingers crossed itā€™s a temporary blip and companies will find a way to get round this.

Did spot one of the first victims when it comes to websites is Leave.eu which I couldnā€™t help but giggle at

1 Like

My boyfriend received a package with a customs declaration from lovehoney and 50 shades of grey toys in, it read ā€œnovelty itemsā€. (Heā€™s in Germany.) Not sure if thatā€™s any use. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s because itā€™s classed as official merchandise however.

2 Likes

Well, at least itā€™s good to know what is the item description for LH and 50 shades items. :slight_smile:

Import fees are always so frustrating :roll_eyes: :weary:

2 Likes

@Smultron you are not the only one - have you seen this thread?
https://lovehoneyforum.com/t/customs-and-handling-fees-from-inside-the-eu/265089/4

1 Like

Yes, SexInTheCity commented in that thread and liked to mine, so I got a notification.

I this particular case, I wish I were the only one having issues with the additional feels :sweat_smile: :joy:

Right now, biggest stumbling block stopping me from ordering are the unknown import duties I face to unblock parcel at customsā€¦ that along with customs officials knowing/finding out what is in parcel :scream:

1 Like

Isnā€™t there information about the duties in your countryā€™s postal service providerā€™s website, or in the customsā€™ website?

As for customs officials finding out about the contents of the parcel, I donā€™t think they really care. They probably have to go through hundreds of boxes and chances are theyā€™ve seen weirder things. xD