Condom advice

I'm on antibiotics at the moment and the pharmasist said they will interfere with the pill so I need to use "extra precautions" for the next two weeks.

We've used condoms before but my OH doesn't like them, they're hard to get on because they're so tight and he is so squished up inside them that he can't feel anything!

We bought the featherlite durex's to see if they'd make any difference but they were just as bad!

Does anyone have any advice on what ones we can try? I know you're supposed to be able to get different sized but I've never come accross any!

Just looked on the durex website and they do durex XL... They're out of stock on here though so will have to pop to boots!

Anybody tried these?

Hey,

Sorry to see they were out of stock, have you thought about trying another brand of condoms? In the past I've found Pasante to be really good, thin but safe too.

But with condoms your own peace of mind means a lot. So you should do what you feel most comfortable with :-)

Here's the product if you fancy having a look: Pasante King Size Condoms (12 Pack)

Hope this helps!

Gem Xx

Hi,

My OH has the same problem with most condoms out there and unfortunately Durex XL are no exception, so I wouldn't suggest those.

We've tried Pasante King Size (will be posting a review soon) as well as Trojan Magnum XL (Trojan Magnum XL Condoms (12 Pack)&reviewid=34831#customer_reviews) and they're both really comfortable and easy to put on.

Hope this helps

2W xx

The regular Trojan Magnums are a nice middle-ground between these, if the XLs are too big (I think the accomodate an extra inch?).

I had the same problems with Durex, but I haven't looked back since trying out the Trojans.

Passante King Size are good. My Size are my favourite, a bit more expensive, but you can choose your size, and well comfortable.

I used to have the same problem with condoms being too tight. If you look at the "nominal width", most of them are 52mm - look for the ones which are around 54 - 56mm. I use Durex Pleasuremax, but with extra lube as they tend to dry out sometimes.

If it's only going to be two weeks that you are going to have to worry about it, would it be possible to focus on non-penetrative types of sex if you find condoms such a problem?

Out of curiosity, what is the antibiotic? Because new guidelines were released a while ago that say that most antibiotics actually have no effect on hormonal contraceptives and there is no need to use additional methods of contraception. There are only a couple of exceptions, but a lot of pharmacists etc are still telling people that they need to take extra precautions for every antibiotic. If you're taking rifampicin or rifabutin then def use condoms, but if it's anything other than that then you don't need to, even if your pharmacist is still telling women otherwise.

And if my word isn't good enough then see the NHS info below :)

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/843.aspx?CategoryID=60&SubCategoryID=178

Pixieking wrote:

If it's only going to be two weeks that you are going to have to worry about it, would it be possible to focus on non-penetrative types of sex if you find condoms such a problem?

We could do, but it's good to have them on hand anyways :)

Imogen wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the antibiotic? Because new guidelines were released a while ago that say that most antibiotics actually have no effect on hormonal contraceptives and there is no need to use additional methods of contraception. There are only a couple of exceptions, but a lot of pharmacists etc are still telling people that they need to take extra precautions for every antibiotic. If you're taking rifampicin or rifabutin then def use condoms, but if it's anything other than that then you don't need to, even if your pharmacist is still telling women otherwise.

And if my word isn't good enough then see the NHS info below :)

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/843.aspx?CategoryID=60&SubCategoryID=178

I'm on Metronidazole, checked the rifampicin mentioned in the article and no mention of it so we should be ok then! Woo!

I think we'll definately have to try out some Pesante king side or Trojen Magnums though, incase we need to use them again. Now I've got a draw full of too small ones to get rid of!