Consent rant - looking for advice

So the guy I’m seeing lately has been a bit pushy. Like whenever I don’t want to do something he is like “aw come on” and then like a few minutes later he is like “changed your mind yet?” And so on until he gets what he wants. I usually try not to give into his temptations because I believe no is no. It’s just bugging me a lot. I feel like he is trying to pressure me into sex when I don’t want to most of the time. He has even rolled his eyes at me and called me frigid. I feel like he only wants to be with me for the sex like it’s all he talks about most of the time. I suggested we go and watch some Netflix the other day to spend time together during quarantine while we can still see each other but during the movie, he kept wanting to touch me sexually and I kept saying no and he just grunted and went home. Has anyone else had this?

Your instincts are spot on, @sharbur. His attitude to consent and lack of respect for your wishes are sounding alarm bells in my head. You need to get out of this association ASAP. Don’t let this drag on and don’t keep letting him get what he wants. He’ll never change, and if this is what he’s like now, heaven knows what he’ll be like further down the line - it could even get nasty. Kick him into the long grass and put some distance between the two of you.

That’s me telling you, right? And I won’t take no for an answer! :laughing:

Seriously, though - he’s bad voodoo.

12 Likes

This is going to sound like a mums net thread but, leave him now, he’s clearly either very immature or likely to become very difficult. He certainly has very little respect for you.

4 Likes

I think I remember you saying you wouldn’t be seeing each other for a while, so maybe that might be contributing to it, but yeah I don’t get the best feeling if all he wants/thinks about is sex. I won’t be seeing my OH for a few months soon but he’s still respecting my choice and isn’t pushing for more. If he repeatedly won’t take no for an answer send him packing or take a cool off, cause if all he wants is physical and not just time together that doesn’t bode well.

2 Likes

So many red flags here @sharbur . Called you frigid? That would be enough for me to tell him to go and not come back.

12 Likes

Right! Then he can shove an icicle where the sun don’t shine :rofl:

Thanks everyone for commenting - he just seems to be getting worse. He was fine when we first got together but he’s getting more impatient and scaring me a bit. I’m almost 20 and he’s almost 21 so there could be a bit of immaturity with him there with him. I’ll most likely grow distant of him slowly so I’m not spending as much time with him. He might just never come back and if he doesn’t then that shows he didn’t care.

1 Like

You may not want to hear this, get rid of him dump him say goodbye, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen.
I am a male and hearing this sort of attitude from another male repulses me.
You may well Love him and adore him not wanting to part that may well be the last thing on your mind, but I would Urge you to leave and find a Man who will respect you for who you are.
Either that you tell him straight, you say it lowed and clear how uncomfortable you feel at times, you make it clear that it is not acceptable by any means.

Sorry for ranting, but hearing this type of thing makes me…

7 Likes

As others have said, this is raising red flags. My advice would be to finish things with him and when the time is right you’ll find someone who will respect you and want to do things other than push you into sex or things you don’t want to do.

hugs

4 Likes

Noooooo! Listen to yourself: admitting that he scares you, then making up excuses for him. Getting slowly more distant as a test to see if he cares? What’s all that about? That kind of thinking is driven entirely by fear of how he’ll react to being dumped.

And what if he doesn’t “just never come back”? What if he sticks around and keeps on pressuring you into doing stuff you don’t want and trying to control you? He doesn’t care about you and never will. He just wants to use you as a fuck-puppet …or worse. Ditch him, and fast.

9 Likes

I’m a lot more polite than that. I accept no, and then just leave it. Then if the girl pushes it later, that’s fine, otherwise, closed subject. It’s the way I’ve always been.

p…s. I’m into Netflix too. :yum:

At 21, his little head will be doing all the thinking, he just wants to get off and will do whatever he thinks will achieve that goal.
If he is making you fearful, listen to your instincts and exit stage left before you get trapped into thinking he’ll change or that it’ll get better. He is already trying to manipulate you and guilt you into doing something you don’t want.

4 Likes

No partner should ever make you feel scared or pressured into sex, that’s a gradual descent into domestic abuse. If he’s gotten worse since you first started seeing him, just imagine how much worse he’s gonna get.

Do not wait until you slowly “grow distant from each other” this guy needs to be cut off now. I know if he’s already intimidating you, you might be too scared to tell him :heart: Do it over the phone, tell him not to come round again/you’re not going to see him. The fact that he’s pressuring you in to sex and storming out when you say no already shows that he does not care. Throw him to the curb ASAP because he’s only going to get worse and the longer you wait the more intimidating he’s gonna get and the more scared you’re going to get and that is not how a relationship works. :heart::heart::heart:

Never let anyone pressure you into something you don’t want to do.

A partner should make you feel safe not scared.

8 Likes

No is no, if he can’t/won’t take that & he can’t see the problem, end it. Your personal safety and happiness is what’s important.

2 Likes

Seriously, leave him. Trust me I know. I was with someone like that and it just started like this. People were telling me the exact same thing, leave him. But I didn’t listen and I wish I did, cos the next thing that came along was controling every which way, and then the violence started physical abuse as well as mental abuse. You can make all the excuses you like for him, but it’ll only get worse, and when I kept saying no, he didn’t listen and just went and raped me

2 Likes

I agree with everyone else. You are at the top if a spiral, and it will only get worse. No respect and no paying attention to me means he would be shown the door. He scares you, and that in itself is enough. Deal with this now, because it will not improve.

2 Likes

Im with everyone else on this. I even got a bad feeling about it when you where talking about him not being happy you picked a different brand of vibe. It seems really controlling and manipulative. No, one should be allowed to badger you for sex or anything else. You want someone who can respect the boundaries you draw and respect you as a person. Sex is not the only great thing about you, and if he cant recognise and value that, then is that really someone you want to have a relationship with?
Wanting to spend some time together as a couple (watching netflix, etc) is not a big ask. If he cant even value your company is he really worth your time?

6 Likes

I totally agree!

I know it might feel hard, scary, intimidating right now - but leaving him is the best thing you can do for yourself.

From the sound of his behaviour, he doesn’t respect you at all and it will only get worse.
The longer you stay, it is very likely that he will start to become controlling and manipulative. It will be even harder and scarier to get our of the relationship then.

I know you are young and you like him so you might want to give him the benefit of the doubt. But some of use have had experience with people like this, or been stuck in a terrible relationship and know the warning signs. So before you get in to deep, and end up trapped - you must take careful consideration.

Rember that your happiness is your priority :hugs:

4 Likes

No excuses! I was his age once and was full of testosterone and horny as hell, but if my girlfriend wasn’t in the mood, i respected her decision. No whining, no veiled insults, no childish behaviour and buggering off in a huff!
This chap’s behaviour will only get worse if he doesn’t get what he wants. He sounds like he’s been spoilt and over-indulged all his life and is used to getting his own way. Can you imagine a long term relationship with this overgrown toddler?
You’re young, dump him and a decent chap who respects you will soon be in your future.

7 Likes

Hi @sharbur, I agree with everyone else. There are so many red flags here especially if he’s starting to scare you. I know it’s hard but I’d get out of that relationship and tell him that you don’t want to see him again. There are so many great guys and girls out there, find one who treats you with love and respect.

As much as I want to nag you to dump him, it’s your choice and we’ll respect your decision and always be here to support you x

1 Like