Coping Techniques - What are Your Stress-Busters?

Loud n thrashy rock music, something you can jump about to for 5 -10 mins in your own home & have a reset or freak out.

And yes I regularly air guitar around the dining room to the likes of Iron Maiden or Metallica.

Fun Louise wrote:

Right so it's a well known fact amongst the forum (and people that know me in general), that I have had an abnormal upbringing. But while doing my GCSE exams o was so stressed my hair fell out. It was after these exams and the sheer amount of stress and expectations that I sought a coping strategy for life.

i found it some years later, via a very old man who hypnotised me to help me get over my exam nerves. He also taught me while hypnotised how to creat a mental safe place. So if I'm stressed or struggling to cope with emotions, I go to my mental safe place. I was taught a physical trigger too.

I understand this sounds very odd, but it really does work. Sorry if it's not very helpful to others.

Not odd at all. If everyone could be taught these strategies then people would be far less stressed. Members of my own family use hypnotherapy with success.

For me, I retreat into my imagination where I create my own worlds. In there everything is under my own control and nothing happens that I am not happy with.

RosyCheek wrote:

I am an ex self harmer and now an ex smoker *insert jazz hands here* so have had to find new coping strategies. Ice cream and pizza were always my go to but seeing my waistline expand has thrown me off that *can I get a hallelujah* so now I breathe. It sounds ridiculous but I take time just to sit and concentrate on my breathing. If its really bad I will crochet, paint, draw, sew a new dress. Also, I have a book called "wreck this journal". Its full of ridiculous tasks to wreck the journal. It is a stress buster! One of my favourite pages was "tie a string around this journal an swing it around hitting it off of walls" that was fun!

After your post, we went searching for this book yesterday Rosy, but they didn't have the 'Wreck This Journal', in stock so Mr Scorpius bought me 'This is Not A Book' which is very similar and by the same author. I'm really looking forward to starting this today! 😘

Fun Louise wrote:

Right so it's a well known fact amongst the forum (and people that know me in general), that I have had an abnormal upbringing. But while doing my GCSE exams o was so stressed my hair fell out. It was after these exams and the sheer amount of stress and expectations that I sought a coping strategy for life.

i found it some years later, via a very old man who hypnotised me to help me get over my exam nerves. He also taught me while hypnotised how to creat a mental safe place. So if I'm stressed or struggling to cope with emotions, I go to my mental safe place. I was taught a physical trigger too.

I understand this sounds very odd, but it really does work. Sorry if it's not very helpful to others.

Definitely not odd at all Louise. I have tried hypnotherapy in the past, and found it very useful. I used the self-help CD's which you can play in bed before you go to sleep xxx

Scorpius12 wrote:

RosyCheek wrote:

I am an ex self harmer and now an ex smoker *insert jazz hands here* so have had to find new coping strategies. Ice cream and pizza were always my go to but seeing my waistline expand has thrown me off that *can I get a hallelujah* so now I breathe. It sounds ridiculous but I take time just to sit and concentrate on my breathing. If its really bad I will crochet, paint, draw, sew a new dress. Also, I have a book called "wreck this journal". Its full of ridiculous tasks to wreck the journal. It is a stress buster! One of my favourite pages was "tie a string around this journal an swing it around hitting it off of walls" that was fun!

After your post, we went searching for this book yesterday Rosy, but they didn't have the 'Wreck This Journal', in stock so Mr Scorpius bought me 'This is Not A Book' which is very similar and by the same author. I'm really looking forward to starting this today! 😘

That rain forest place has it in stock...

Tiger Dick wrote:

Scorpius12 wrote:

RosyCheek wrote:

That rain forest place has it in stock...

Thanks, but I was too impatient to wait for delivery - lol. I really wanted one so that I could get started asap. Mr Scorpius said he is going me to order the one πŸ˜€ xx

I know it's early but my seasonal stress has started. Family pulling me in two directions again.

I'm sticking my head in the sand.

I didnt believe in stress.
I was one of those people that used to use phrases like...they just need to get a grip.
Or
Stop being so soft.
Right up until, for various reason (i wont go into) i began to think i was dieing.
I appreciate it all sounds a bit throw away and daft but my mind played tricks on me and simply took over.
After 2 years of beleiving every day might be my last, anxiety and stress had manefested into physical symptoms and i eventually sought professional help.
They introduced me to a variety of ways to think and coping mechansism specific to me.
6 months of talking and working with the NHS boffins i began to relax and understand.

Whats my point?
Books are awesome. No argument here.
But if you can and you are suffering as i did, seek help.
They didnt judge or try to change my thinking.
They educated me.
They gave me tools for life.

I cant praise them highly enough.
See your GP. Get referred.
Let them work there magic.
Then pass on what you learn.

Oh...and i will never judge anyone ever again.
Stress is very real. Who knew. Not me.

How did you get on with your book Scorpius? I'm still using mine, it's fab ha

I used to work in a very stressful environment where we worked to very tight time restrictions, I must say that most of the stress I put on myself, by not letting people and companies down. Although it was stressful I really enjoyed my job, and I got a great deal of satisfaction of getting the job done and finished on time.

The way I used to de-stress myself was to think of the good things in my life, my wife, my health, my family and how lucky I am/was and still is. I enjoy life, it doesn’t take a lot for me to feel good, sunshine, birds singing or just helping my friends. Of course I am retired now, and have taken a great deal of stress out of my life, but I still find goodness in many small and different ways.