Design a Sex Toy 2019/20

It seems like this year's competition is now open. πŸ‘ Here's the info:

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/design-a-sex-toy/

Thanks for the link - I have a fledgling idea... I'll let everyone know when I make my first Β£1M

MsR wrote:

Thanks for the link - I have a fledgling idea... I'll let everyone know when I make my first Β£1M

Remember that you can't talk about any idea you're submitting/have submitted for the year after the closing date (so Feb 2021). πŸ‘πŸ™‚

What an interesting competition. Really makes you consider how long the design and testing and manufacturing process is.

Ian Chimp wrote:

MsR wrote:

Remember that you can't talk about any idea you're submitting/have submitted for the year after the closing date (so Feb 2021). πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Ok - thanks for the reminder. I'm quite serious about this.

My problem is that they require a drawing.... I can draw, but not at that level of experise.

I saw a bit of one of the previous years competitions in Frisky Business/Joy of Sex Toys and I remember that not all of the entries were super-swish design specs, but they all still got debated on their merits. So I don't think you have to be ace at drawing, just be as clear as you can. There's three categories (students, professional designers, public) so they recognise that they'll be a skill difference. πŸ‘

I found this article with a bit more info in:

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/21-27-october-2019/lovehoney-design-competition/

MK7 wrote:

What an interesting competition. Really makes you consider how long the design and testing and manufacturing process is.

And think of all the people it takes too. They should embed credits in them somehow like film and computer games just so I can see exactly how many people it took to satisfy my wife. πŸ™‚

I finally worked out how to upload a drawing with a couple of supporting photos, just to get the message that the competition is now closed. Going to go to bed to cry myself to sleep. My idea was fab. It will become a reality in an alternative universe (theme + sci sfi). B*gger.

MsR wrote:

I finally worked out how to upload a drawing with a couple of supporting photos, just to get the message that the competition is now closed. Going to go to bed to cry myself to sleep. My idea was fab. It will become a reality in an alternative universe (theme + sci sfi). B*gger.

That's weird. The Rules say that the competition deadline is 21st February 2020? Hopefully it's a glitch?

Though, equally, don't rush it. πŸ™‚

Ian Chimp wrote:

MK7 wrote:

And think of all the people it takes too. They should embed credits in them somehow like film and computer games just so I can see exactly how many people it took to satisfy my wife. πŸ™‚

Take comfort, Mr Chimp, in the thought that things have always been the same. Some people get it, some don't - hopefully most learn without the design team and camera crew. In a previous life you were probably not that clueless bloke and MrsChimp probably knew how to direct you to the nearest yew tree to varnish a pleasuring stick.

Ian Chimp wrote:

That's weird. The Rules say that the competition deadline is 21st February 2020? Hopefully it's a glitch?

Hope it's a glitch. Will try again. Not rushing, just fun. Prob won't go anywhere but couple of hours inside my head when I'm on a roll would send some people into rehab :-). Not a common event, but I don't work at the moment so that's my excuse for leaking creative energy ;-)

MsR wrote:

Take comfort, Mr Chimp, in the thought that things have always been the same. Some people get it, some don't - hopefully most learn without the design team and camera crew. In a previous life you were probably not that clueless bloke and MrsChimp probably knew how to direct you to the nearest yew tree to varnish a pleasuring stick.

'a', not 'that'.

Need some sleep - no disparagment intended at all. Typo.

How interesting. I doubt many people will be too keen on my idea but who knows what we'll be screwing in 2030? Lol.

I could make a few drafts but MsR said the contest is closed??? Did you try and speak to the chat team? I don't want to waste my time if it's not even open or glitchy :(

I'm afraid I have no insider knowledge, I can only go off the information on the web page. There's a few more supporting pages that you can access from the 'menu' tab. I'll link to the Competition Rules and the Top Tips:

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/design-a-sex-toy/competition-rules/

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/design-a-sex-toy/top-tips/

And I'll flag up that it says only one entry per person per category. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

I've just had a quick look at the 'Submit Your Idea' form and at first I was a little confused as there's no fields to add your name and contact information, but if you're logged in it's done through your Lovehoney account. πŸ‘πŸ™‚ If you log out and look at the same page it's got extra boxes to put your personal details in.

MsR wrote:

Ian Chimp wrote:

Hope it's a glitch. Will try again. Not rushing, just fun. Prob won't go anywhere but couple of hours inside my head when I'm on a roll would send some people into rehab :-). Not a common event, but I don't work at the moment so that's my excuse for leaking creative energy ;-)

Hello MsR.

Sorry that you are having issues with this.

I have just tested the form again and it's working fine for me, and not showing the 'competition is closed' message.

I have looked at the entries for this week - does the name of the toy you've designed begin with a w? (Hope I'm not giving too much away by asking that!).

Thanks

Nick

Lovehoney - Nick wrote:

MsR wrote:

Ian Chimp wrote:

Hello MsR.

Sorry that you are having issues with this.

I have just tested the form again and it's working fine for me, and not showing the 'competition is closed' message.

I have looked at the entries for this week - does the name of the toy you've designed begin with a w? (Hope I'm not giving too much away by asking that!).

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for your reply.

I tried again and it worked. So, either a glitch or our dodgy WiFi connection in bad weather!

No, my design does not start with a β€˜w’. I was, however, going to phone with a query - maybe you can help. I had a bash at my own drawing but also downloaded some images to create a sort of β€˜mood board’ - is this allowed, as obviously I don’t own and haven’t created those images? I included them to enhance what I was trying to get across, not to copy. if this is against the rules, please just delete my submission.

Thanks!

That's so cool!

However, I find it weird that it's ''a 5,000 cash prize in your local currency''. So, if you live in the UK you get Β£5000, if you live in the US you get $5000 and so on? If that's the case, 5000 Swedish kronor is about Β£400... :/

I've entered, thanks for the heads up chimp ![](upload://lJMrTcqgi5lI1FOpb07OYOcv2YF.gif)

Alicia4Ever wrote:

It's this part of the conditions which bothers me; what are the chances of accidently inventing a toy that someone else somewhere already has done, and ending up in court for breaching their intelectual rights. I wouldn't know how to go about finding out before I submitted a design. Two people can easily and independently come up with the same ideas, without ever being aware of each other.

Your Responsibilities

Lovehoney Ltd's Responsibilities

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as it's genuinely your idea (and you've not just submitted a picture of a Womanizer in a fez) you should be fine. πŸ™‚