Do you "Let yourself go" when in a relationship?

WandA wrote:

And on this note I've just finished 'doing myself up' for later! External Media

Whooo!

Adx

Some very interesting responces here, seems to be mostly a split between people who let things slide, and people who put in more effort.

I just found it strange that all of a sudden I noticed what I was doing (or not doing as the case may be!) Like you, AA, I slob around in PJ's and joggers for comfort aswell.

Now that I've noticed it though, I think I might try to pull it back just a bit. Got some shaving cream yesterday and some hairdressing scissors so I can trim my fringe properly instead of using the crappy blunt kitchen scissors! I'm never going to be a glamourpuss 24/7, but I might try to look nice sometimes. Ya know - keep the OH on his toes at least.

Kitty_McPlunder wrote:

Some very interesting responces here, seems to be mostly a split between people who let things slide, and people who put in more effort.

I just found it strange that all of a sudden I noticed what I was doing (or not doing as the case may be!) Like you, AA, I slob around in PJ's and joggers for comfort aswell.

Now that I've noticed it though, I think I might try to pull it back just a bit. Got some shaving cream yesterday and some hairdressing scissors so I can trim my fringe properly instead of using the crappy blunt kitchen scissors! I'm never going to be a glamourpuss 24/7, but I might try to look nice sometimes. Ya know - keep the OH on his toes at least. External Media

Apparently, most hair salons will trim a fringe for free between cuts!

I only found this out yesterday from a befringed friend.

Adx

Its true, but I'm lazy and I manage to do a pretty good job myself (I reckon so anyway!)

We have known each other nine years and I feel its up to me to make sure that Im the one she can be proud of. Good grooming is important, its says you care, and sets the tone. We all have our off days, but when you get the chance, seize it, make the effort, and invest in some good ol' fettling!

Day to day can be a grind, but when the moment presents you must seize it, and make all the effort to be your glamorous self. Life is too short to be someone that cant be bothered!

And Mrs NL is getting waxed this evening. And I cant wait for her to get home!

Northern lights wrote:

We have known each other nine years and I feel its up to me to make sure that Im the one she can be proud of. Good grooming is important, its says you care, and sets the tone. We all have our off days, but when you get the chance, seize it, make the effort, and invest in some good ol' fettling!

Day to day can be a grind, but when the moment presents you must seize it, and make all the effort to be your glamorous self. Life is too short to be someone that cant be bothered!

Ouch! I shave but ouch for waxing!

One thing that gets me, is most men dont groom at all and would never wax yet they like it when women do and critize when they dont.

At the beginning of a relationship i am always so conscious of everything! I eat less, exercise more, buy new clothes and then after a couple of months i go back to being me which is not much different. I eat a little more, i exercise a little less but still buy new clothes. I know i do this as it makes me happy, it doesn't change who i am though and thats why my bf loves me : )

I do a little but I aways make sure I am clean and groomed etc. But thats just me. I feel more relaxed and so I dont worry as much about what I am wearing.

This is a difficult question for me to answer, as my current boyfriend is the only partner I've ever had, and I just wasn't interested in romance or expected it to happen to me, so I only shaved my legs etc perhaps once a month, either when the mood took me or there was public bare-skinned ness in store for me.

Me and my boyfriend don't live together, and I usually only get to see him once a week or so, so I only shave when I'm expecting to see him. I should probably shave my pubes a bit more often as they do get a bit itchy after a while (once the hair inside my lips gets so long, it starts prickling into the other side, and it hurts!) but I dont often remember.

It's hard to say how much I'll keep up with all of this stuff once me and the OH are living together. I dont want to totally let myself go, but I can't see myself keeping up with it every day either.

If I were to be single again, I'd probably let myself go though. There's no point in shaving and all that malarkey if there's nobody to see or appreciate it!

I shave for me as I wear trousers that show my legs and sleevless tops in the summer.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

I think the main reason I don't bother anymore is because I can't wear my shoes. Shoes MAKE the outfit for me. I like dressing up all gothic with corsets and long fancy skirts, very victorian styled goth. But it does look stunning when I do it. Heels make me feel sexy rather than any of the rest of it. It seems ridiculous to go the full length and get all dolled up then have a pair of big mens trainers sticking out the bottom of my skirt!

I completely agree, my shoes make it for me. And love to be in a corset too :)

Northern lights wrote:

Love this way of thinking. I started to "let myself go" cos my Ex did, and if he can't make a bit of an effort, then I certainly couldn't! Current BF is lovely when it comes to being clean tidy and presentable, which makes me want to put so much more effort into looking good :) Its even nice when he notices and comments, even if it is only a top he hasn't seen, or a change in nail varnish. I appreciate that he has noticed I have put effort into my appearence and has commented positively on it.

Hmmm this is a really good question!

I think I'm kind of a mixture of both, if that is possible! I do try very hard to look my best for my other half, which includes waxing, wearing make up, nice clothes etc... However, sometimes I can see my OH when I'm just in leggings and a t-shirt, no make up, and my hair in a pony tail. But, this isn't because I'm 'letting myself go'.. I guess it's just because I feel confident in myself when I'm around my OH, and I know that he loves me no matter what I look like. I love to make the effort, but my OH makes me feel just as beautiful when I look a mess But, overall, I guess I do make an effort everyday. I love wearing make up, doing my hair and wearing nice clothes, so it's not just for my OH, but everyone in my life, and because I like the way it makes me feel! xxx

Starlight* wrote:

Hmmm this is a really good question!

I think I'm kind of a mixture of both, if that is possible! External Media I do try very hard to look my best for my other half, which includes waxing, wearing make up, nice clothes etc... However, sometimes I can see my OH when I'm just in leggings and a t-shirt, no make up, and my hair in a pony tail. But, this isn't because I'm 'letting myself go'.. I guess it's just because I feel confident in myself when I'm around my OH, and I know that he loves me no matter what I look like. I love to make the effort, but my OH makes me feel just as beautiful when I look a mess External Media But, overall, I guess I do make an effort everyday. I love wearing make up, doing my hair and wearing nice clothes, so it's not just for my OH, but everyone in my life, and because I like the way it makes me feel! xxx

Great way to think starlight!

Thanks MM x