Donating used lingerie?

Hi there! I was a tester for many years and have accumulated quite a collection of items that I’ll no longer use for a variety of reasons. I’m desperately trying to live more sustainably and I was wondering if anyone knows of an organisation in the UK that takes gently used lingerie (not bras or panties - just basques, corsets, babydolls, etc)?? I’m happy to drop them off or post if collection isn’t an option. It seems like most only take bras for day to day or professional situations.

3 Likes

Try Small For All or Against Breast Cancer

Thanks - I’ve looked at them but they seem to only take bras from the info on their websites. Unless I’m missing something??

2 Likes

I don’t know any but yes please don’t donate panties or one pieces that act like a thong.

1 Like

Oh yeah - absolutely no plans for that! :+1:

1 Like

Damn, sorry :disappointed:

No worries! Thanks for the excellent suggestions! It’s just surprising to me that no one takes them.

1 Like

@bex1213 I think noone takes them because sex is still a taboo topic which is ridiculous. Loads of people are still squeamish about stuff like this. Just my idea as to why noone seems to take them :+1:

2 Likes

Preach. I think I may have to sell them and donate the proceeds or something. They really are gorgeous pieces and I’d be surprised if no one wanted them. Especially since most of them were for photoshoots rather than sex anyway! Urgh…

1 Like

You should sell them to fetishists who use them in a sexual way, but then donate the profits to the charity of your choice.
Heck, then you could even use the panties for good too that way. Sure, some businessman uses them for fun, but if you give the money to a women’s shelter or something, its just as good morally as donating the clothes themselves.

1 Like

I think they also arent seen as ‘essential’ items and charities have enough trouble receiving good quality decent necessary items.

When I volunteered at the Food Bank I used to have to turn away so much perfectly good food purely because we could only be seen to be giving people ‘necessary items’. Made me so sad because everyone deserves a little treat every now and again…I digressed.

3 Likes

Why don’t you auction them off and donate proceeds to charity of your choice ?

1 Like

If you can’t find anywhere else to take them, some places may take them to reuse the fabric (as stuff like that is often made of good quality materials)

1 Like

That’s too bad that no place in the UK seems to take stuff like this in :cry: I know I’ve seen them in local charity shops in the US (mainly Goodwill, though there are a few local places near me that have dedicated lingerie sections as well), and at local markets some venders sell vintage chemises, slips and the like (though I’ve seen them chuck in newer stuff as well if it fits their stall’s vibe) :sweat_smile: Hope you can find a good solution given all the previous responses :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I admire you desire to donate for sustainability, its such a shame no where will take them. I think you would be able to sell them on a site like just worn things, I think that’s what its called. You could then donate the funds received. Good luck.

2 Likes

You can list stuff like basques etc on ebay. There is 2nd hand lingere on there

2 Likes

You might find a clothes recycling collection bin in your local area

You could try the design department at your local college/Uni who might want to upcycle, redesign or adapt corsets and basques for their design course work.
It would be a real shame to have to bin them so worth a try :man_shrugging: Good luck.

1 Like

edited by mod