Exfoliating problems bumps on legs

This is a unusual post but anything goes to the LH family.

I get terrible dry flaky skin on my legs I use e45 moisturizer, but I started a month ago using a exfoliator on my legs it seems to work but now I’m getting red bumps on my legs, anyone had the same? I’m using TZone face scrub its a sugar scrub mixed with tea tree oil and witch hazel.

Could be ingrown hairs, or maybe folliculitis?

1 Like

Maybe the sugar scrub is to harsh then. I will say its only on one leg.

1 Like

The scrub maybe too harsh @teacake always use flat of your hands in upwards motion (towards the heart).
Also maybe worth a thyroid check as scaly dry legs is often a first symptom x

1 Like

@Mrs.John Thanks, I’m thinking the scrub on my legs is to harsh, just strange that it’s only on the one leg. I think I will lay of the scrub for now and see if it improves.

If it doesn’t I might get my thyroid checked out.

1 Like

I think you’re only supposed to use scrubs/exfoliate a couple times a week (especially if you have sensitive skin) because doing it daily can irritate your skin and doesn’t give it time to recover/heal/repair (as you’re removing a layer of skin cells). I just use an exfoliating glove in the shower with just soap and water a 1-2 times a week and use extra lotion on those days. It’s not harsh on my skin, and it gets rid of the dead skin and smooths any rough areas :gloves: Hope your leg improves! :hugs:

2 Likes

Allergic reaction maybe?

Most facial scrubs only recommend twice a week. Too much can cause irritation.

2 Likes

Teetree + witch hazel is an anti spot mix, so its possible its formulated for oily skin. Id get something less harsh personally.
Face and body products are mixed differently due to the difference in the skin thickness in those areas. Putting it onto damp skin after a shower also helps too i think.
Personally I also get quite dry legs and I’ve always found the body butters sold by the body shop to be good for it.

Ps. There is also a very common and harmless condition called keratosis pilaris. Its genetic and vaguely 1/3 of us might get it at some point. Google it, but basically keratin builds up in your pores and causes tiny red bumps on the upper arms and lower legs (besides other places). So it could be that. I had it for years without ever knowing what it was (runs in family) just gently exfoliating and moisturising is what helps mine.

2 Likes

@PKH Thanks, I have only been using it twice a week on my legs, In the past I have used gloves but it never seemed to improve my legs.

@FireCracker89 I was thinking it might be a reaction to it. Cheers.

@Green_Eyed_Girl I picked the teatree because I absolutely love the smell of teatree oil lol I have been using it when my legs are wet. Thanks.

I haven’t heard of keratosis pilaris shall look it up on Google :+1:What exfoliator do you use? Thanks

2 Likes

I use a damp wash cloth and an exfoliating brush. Moisturising is the trick really, it tends to only get worse or flare up when i get dry skin. Used e45 for years but find that something thicker works better for my legs and arms.

1 Like

@Green_Eyed_Girl I might give one of those brushes a go. Thanks​:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If it doesn’t clear up, it could be worth going in to see a dermatologist. They’ve seen everything and would likely recommend a good treatment :+1:

1 Like

@PKH Thanks, will do I will see how it goes probably me just not using the right thing for my skin.

1 Like

Turns out I also have KP, I stopped using my sugar scrub, and my legs got better, I saw that Cerave SA Smoothing cream has good reviews for KP, it is absolutely terrible for me, it doesn’t feel like a moisturiser at all leaving the body feel dry and clothes sticking to it.

I have heard creams with Urea in it is good for KP, but having trouble finding any. The Cerave cream has Salicylic Acid and Urea in it.

Well, great youve found out what it is and its something harmless. Yeah, its a bit of a pain, but it could be worse.
I find the bodyshops body butters work well for me. Also light oil type moisturisers. Avoiding overly perfumed stuff helps too.
Aloe based creams work well too if i have a flare up.
Just basically being gentle on your skin and keeping it moisturised properly really. It can take a while to balance out again after a bad flare up for me.
Hope you find a conbo that works well for your skin

Thanks, I had a look at body butters but they all seem to have a scent to them as a guy I wouldn’t want that lol I think this will be a slow and expensive until I find something that works for me.

1 Like

Yeah, finding unsented moisturisers can be tricky. Shea butter based stuff is good.

Hopefully you can get it all managed when you find a good moisturizer! Glad to hear there’s been some improvement :hugs:

@Green_Eyed_Girl I think Shea butter is my next try, I did try superdug own vitamin e moisturiser, but that has a scent I didn’t think it would because it said it was for sensitive skin.

@PKH Thanks, there has been definitely some good improvement can’t believe I’m having skin problems in my 40’s, I don’t know why but my skin is definitely throwing a tantrum lately.

1 Like

Maybe try a healthfood shop. They usually sell stuff with less ingredients and i often find it easier to find something that works there. (Where i found my current facial moisturiser. Golden silk oil. Love that stuff).
Yeah, for sensitive skin is a must. Aloe based stuff can be good too. Tend to bring flare ups down and reduce irritation for me. If you strugle to get some unscented many helth food shops and pharmacists sell aloe gel for aftersun which works too. Not that moisturising but it will cool it when it gets all red and uncomfortable.
Camomile and anything soothing for skin can be good as well.

1 Like