Favourite Christmas Songs

Some alternatives that you won't hear in every shop in the land - A Snowflake Fell (And It Felt Like A Kiss) by Glasvegas, a great downbeat 6 track EP, the Holidaydream LP by The Polyphonic Spree, and Christmas Was Better In The 80s by The Future heads. And for a more traditional choice, Phil Spector's Christmas Album.

Fairytale of New York seems to be most people's choice :P I already have that one though, I agree its good.

I will check out all the rest of the suggestions, listen to them all and decide whether I like them or not - thanks guys!xx

FrozenAngel wrote:

I don't like Christmas songs, am I scruge?!

I think I was traumatised by it when I went to Mexio for Christmas several years ago for a month. And for the whole month they played nothing but the same Christmas album on repeat. In EVERY bar! And not the kind of Christmas songs you've all suggested. I actually want to stab myself in the eye when I hear Frosty the Snowman.

So now whenever I hear most Christmas songs I turn the radio off. I think back to my days in a bar trying to drink out the sound of it lol. xx

I with you FrozenAngel. I really dislike Chtistmas songs. I go on a radio strike and refuse to listen to any songs.

I like it that they bring out a certain song for people to buy in the hope that the X Factor winner and their cover track doesnt get to number 1

Anything from phil spectors Christmas album. He may have been a loon but he knew music.

Anything! i love absolutely everything about Christmas. Our decs go up last day of November and the christmas music playlist is on repreat constantly in my kitchen, there is nothing i dont like, love it all

For anyone who's heard of C.W. Stoneking he released a Christmas song called "On a Christmas Day" however due to some innuendos it may not be one to put on a compilation for the family. It's a great little song though.

Just for the video - Mariah Carey 'All I want for X-mas is you' (she is my guilty crush)

As for music - Saint Etienne with Tim Burgess 'I was born on christmas day'

Greg Lake, I believe in father christmas

santa baby - Ertha Kitt ( or the pussycat dolls cover is ok)

Fairytale of New York and Merry Christmas Everyone (Shakin Stevens)!

Jingle Bell Rock.... :)

Honestly can't pick one I love so many!

Ohhhhh! and East 17 Stay Another Day. That was the winter me and OH got together, special song for us :-)

A Spaceman came traveling by Chris de Burgh or driving home for Christmas by Chris Rea.
Or the frog chorus!

Christmas time by The Darkness

East 17 - stay another day is a favortie of mine because it reminds me of being in my teens, and a break up i was goign thhrough at the time.

My othe rpersonal favorites are

Pie Jesu (sarah brightman version)

Walking in the air - Aled jones

Marys boy child / oh my lord - Boney M

and Anything by the Kings Carol singers.

If your after insperation then try old favorites but by different artists..

Let it now lt it snow let it snow - Jule Styne / Dean martin / Frank Sinatra

Sleigh ride - air supply / bbc concert orchestra

Joy to the world - Aritha Franklin

Santa Clause is comming to town - Haven Gillespie

There are so many to choose from. IF you have Spotify then i can share my alternative xmas playlist :)