Female sterilisation

Hi :wave: just looking for advice

I’m considering having it done and I was wondering if anyone had it done or if there partners had it done, what’s involved with the procedure.
I’m 36 this year and we have 3 children and definitely no more.
I’m on the pill and this one can cause problems with my depression, weight gain. I feel for me the best thing for me, I’ve tried other contraception and it’s been near enough the same problems.
Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Sorry, read the post wrong so withdrew my comment!

I don’t know any females who has been sterilised by choice, sorry, only those who had hysterictomies etc from cancer, so their experiences won’t be relevant!

1 Like

I had my tubes tied when I was 29 with no kids on the NHS. They put a bit of a fight with that, but so did I. First went to my GP who referred me to a gynecologist. Had to see two of them. First one said yes then no, and the second one gave me a yes after an hour of interrogation. Brought all research and my partner to back my corner.

I have filshie clips as they wouldn’t agree to remove them like I wanted. Better than nothing and starting the process over. In and out the hospital same day. Apparently the operation only took about 20 minutes and they said standard painkillers will do. The most uncomfortable part of it seemed to be the gas - like I felt bloated and stuffed up. Took 5 days off work but was comfortable enough to walk around and do stuff after 3 days. I have 2 small scars - one on my belly button and the other near my hip.

I removed my implant a month later and felt much better. Less mood swings and acne. My periods also went back to normal very quickly after 13 years of them being random. Best thing I’ve done for my sexual health.

4 Likes

I had a vasectomy done so the wife didn’t have to have a hard surgery after having our fourth kid the best money spent :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you, it is something that I want done, so fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

@Dirty-Wife this is intended in no way to be judgemental - just to gain more understanding (if you are comfortable with it).
Is there a reason why as a couple you are leaning towards sterilisation rather than vasectomy?

No that’s ok, I’ve been thinking about it for a little while, over the weekend I told him that I’ve been thinking about having it done, he’s said a few times that he’ll get the snip, I just said it’s fine you don’t have to go through with it, and it’s something that I want to do anyway

1 Like

My hubby had a vasectomy back in September - he chose to do this as we have more that enough children :rofl:
He did this for me, so that I didn’t have to take any horrible contraception forever as I’ve used it for years and don’t think it’s good for my body.
Procedure went well and I think a vasectomy is probably not so bad as having sterilisation.
So you should do whatever suits your family x

6 Likes

I’m definitely ready to come off the pill, I’ve been on it since I was 16, it’s not good for my mental health, and a bit of weight gain. And the last I came off it when I was pregnant with my youngest, it made all the difference, family were noticing the difference too

3 Likes

I had a vasectomy in my early twenties as we did not like the thought of the procedure for the wife or her on the pill for a considerable time, never looked back and all works as it should​:joy:

3 Likes

I was also going to ask whether your partner had considered the snip instead.

My husband has been referred for one, after having three children we are done :laughing:

Although thanks to covid we are having to wait until they resume services in our area, hopefully won’t be too long as I want to come off the pill too

3 Likes

He did say if I want to go ahead with it and they say no, he’ll go for it.
To speak to the dr’s I have to fill out a form online, and send it through to them and they go through the forms and priorities the most important one’s first, I’ve got a phone call with the Dr on Friday

1 Like

My wife said the same, after 2 complicated births with both becoming emergency sections another would kill her. I offered to get the snip several times when we spoke about it, but she said she wanted to get sterilised because its her that cant have any more and doesnt want to take my option to have more away (i never would anyway because i have no intention of leaving or having any more kids). I cant comment on the details as i was away with work when she had it done, but she recovered after a couple weeks and i was sore during recovery, but she doesnt regret it and loves not needing the pill or anything anymore

3 Likes

I was the one who went and had the snip years ago, still got questions from my doc about “what if”, I was 32-33 at the time, but it was all done without much more fuss. When Mrs Sen came off the pill, she noticed a very swift increase in sensitivity and arousal (particularly in the week after her period) and her enjoyment of sex increased noticeably.

It must be frustrating when doctors don’t respect the wishes of their patient and refuse treatment “because of age”.

5 Likes

My OH had a vasectomy after our final child. We paid for a sperm sample to be frozen for 10 years as our ‘what if’? insurance policy. We are both extremely happy with the results :slight_smile: no more pill or condoms!

3 Likes

UPDATE ;

just got off the phone to the doctors and she was lovely and had no problem in referring me to have it done, just got to wait for the letter now. I know its going to be a long wait but I’ve got the ball rolling

10 Likes

Further update;

Got an appointment in October to see the gynaecology team. Getting there slowly, so it’s just fingers crossed :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: that I’ll be able to have it done

6 Likes

Jealous - so wish my husband would get the op

Have you looked into getting your own tubes tied?

I don’t want to undergo another op… I’ve already had so so many!

2 Likes