Glass safety

You're entirely right, i'm only a bit stressed out because I am an anxious perfon and am afraid of everything. Plus I already knew that there was a quality difference and still decided to buy. I only need to rassure myself a bit before I can use then again without too much worry

As a fellow anxious person who is afraid of everything I'm kicking myself for NOT knowing there was a quality difference! Well, for not knowing about annealing should I say. Obviously I've never been so foolish as to believe all glass is equal. But I did trust Lovehoney branded glass purely because I trust Lovehoney, so to see it compared to the cheap glass I knew to avoid and learn that perhaps it's not exactly what I expected when I bought it and perhaps not even that different from the 'avoid' glass...well, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth! I'm confused and wondering if I should even be confused or if I'm just overcomplicating this for myself haha :p

Just sitting playing with my polarizing lens and it's really interesting examining dildos. Most of my newer Lovehoney glass doesn't show any rainbows. My old Tracy Cox set, on the other hand, there is more rainbow than sense! Scary D:

Are the rainbows something that appear/get worse over time, I wonder? Or can it be assumed that there aren't any stress points in the ones that don't show rainbows?

Glass that hasn't been annealed is still perfectly OK for temperature play - it's just extreme temperature changes that would cause a problem. Nothing like taking a cool piece up to hand hot using water, more pulling it out of the freezer and putting it into an oven or more extreme, a kiln. Annealing does make it more temperature stable (the annealing process involves cooling and holding a temperature over the correct period of time to do this), but we don't do enough to shock the pieces when preparing for temperature play.
Ultimately, non annealed glass will be more likely to break, but that will be over time, and will happen as a result of a knock etc. Glass is INCREDIBLY UNLIKELY to break whilst inside you, so just make sure you inspect after/before every use to look for cracks, chips or deep scratches

Foxxy wrote:

Glass that hasn't been annealed is still perfectly OK for temperature play - it's just extreme temperature changes that would cause a problem. Nothing like taking a cool piece up to hand hot using water, more pulling it out of the freezer and putting it into an oven or more extreme, a kiln. Annealing does make it more temperature stable (the annealing process involves cooling and holding a temperature over the correct period of time to do this), but we don't do enough to shock the pieces when preparing for temperature play.
Ultimately, non annealed glass will be more likely to break, but that will be over time, and will happen as a result of a knock etc. Glass is INCREDIBLY UNLIKELY to break whilst inside you, so just make sure you inspect after/before every use to look for cracks, chips or deep scratches

Thanks for the clarification ^_^

On a similar topic... Has everyone heard of Prince Rupert's Drops (Dutch tears)?

You wouldn't want that to happen to a dildo!

Lovebirds_x wrote:

As a fellow anxious person who is afraid of everything I'm kicking myself for NOT knowing there was a quality difference! Well, for not knowing about annealing should I say. Obviously I've never been so foolish as to believe all glass is equal. But I did trust Lovehoney branded glass purely because I trust Lovehoney, so to see it compared to the cheap glass I knew to avoid and learn that perhaps it's not exactly what I expected when I bought it and perhaps not even that different from the 'avoid' glass...well, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth! I'm confused and wondering if I should even be confused or if I'm just overcomplicating this for myself haha :p

I feel the same about trusting lovehoney and the glas to avoid/not to avoid :\

alone4ever wrote:

There is a law called fit for use, that states that a products should be fit for the purpose that they are sold for. I'm quite sure the LH would not market a product likely to do someone serious injury.

The issue of being able to sterilize a toy is likley down to an individuals choice as to how they care for and use the product.

Customer forces will drive porous toys off the market, as more people choose to use other materials, but people are still buying them; it's a contentious issue.

It's not sold as "intended for sexual use"

You have seen that LH sells anal toys without a marked flare, or with finger loops that squish together, haven't you? Personally, I feel that selling a glass toy that will not survive a fall to a tiled floor is less of a problem...

Unfortunately my two glass toys are black, so I can't see any rainbows anyway :-(

But glass is a rather resistant material - yesterday I half-dropped a transport box with 4 bottles of wine in it, they slid to the other end of the box - about 50 cm - and clanked together at the bottom. None of them broke...

Still, I wouldn't buy any of the glass butt plugs with finger loop...

@GeekyEleanor: Do you really use Pyrex-brand equipment or borosilicate glass from other companies? Dangerouslilly claims that Pyrex is now made by a Chinese company and no longer the quality it used to be.