Going mad uti?

Hi really need to talk and hear ppls point of view.

Ive been with my finance for 16yrs,

Im so panicking im making my self feel sick worry and it all may be a miss understanding as such.

Lately ive been unwell (had covid 2weeks previously) i all of a sudden had really bad body aches and high temps and not energy and short of breath… all of which i thought may be because of long covid (ive been testing negative since my 10day isolation)
3/4 days into feeling unwell i had a little trouble going to toilet only for about 5min then all ok again. Next day same again 5min then back to normal (needing to wee but nothing or very little) no pain or redness or cloudy liquidor sorts.
ive spoken to my gp and had to do a urine test. (Waiting results still) they put me on antibiotics just to get things rolling.

Ive been searching on web like made and it keeps throwing up a urine infection (UTI) or possibly a STI .
Now i can say in the 15yrs ive been with her ive never cheated/ not even kiss another person. So as u can imagine my mind is going all over the place.
It may just well be a urine infection and thats that.(waiting results) But today shr said to me that her bits stang a little while going a pee… thats it my heart dropped to the floor.
Ive looked on the web and it seems to say u cant catch a UTI through sex.
Ive not spoken to her about any of it yet i wanna wait till results come back.

Am i being well over the top? Has searching for symptoms on web really put a problem in my head that should have never been there?
Just really needed to talk and hear from someone.

2 Likes

The interwebz is not always the best place to look for Medical advice, aside the NHS website it can be very misleading. It’s more than likely she just happens to have a UTI. There are hundreds of causes to the issue you have described, the only sure way to know what exactly is happening is by the result of the urine test. Until then put it to the back of your mind, easy for me to say I know, becoming stressed whilst already unwell will only make you worse.

4 Likes

You can get a UTI just by having a compromised immune system then pass it to a partner. STD’s are a different story, so don’t worry until you get the results.

Edited to add, it may be a side effect of the Covid hammering your immune system and you may have given her the UTI.

4 Likes

You can’t pass on a UTI like a STI but you can share the bacteria that caused it, which means it is entirely possible for you to both have a UTI.

As hard as it may be, I would try not to worry until you get the results of the UTI test. Googling symptoms can definitely lead you down the wrong path. STIs have some fairly common symptoms, as well as often not having any symptoms at all so they are often listed as possibilities in symptom checkers.

The fact that your partner was willing to tell you they have a stinging when they pee suggests to me that they aren’t hiding anything. (If I were trying to hide infidelity, any issues with my genitals is the last thing I’d want to be discussing with my partner)

8 Likes

Reading it all I could think was UTI :sweat_smile: I’m a type 1 diabetic and get UTI’s quite frequently as a result (due to the higher than normal blood sugar) :woman_shrugging: I’ve never passed one onto my partner, but it can happen and could have happened due to your compromised immune system :woman_shrugging: I’d talk to your GP as they’re highly treatable, usually a one pill type treatment :relaxed: And I don’t think she’s hiding anything from you as she mentioned it to you :relaxed:

2 Likes

The way you are feeling now - is why it’s never a good idea to Google your own symptoms and make a diagnosis.
We will always find the worst case scenario and worry that is what’s happening to us.

Just wait for results to come back and it will most likely put your mind at rest.

As everyone has stated self diagnosis via the internet is never a good thing. Read all the symptoms for a particular cancer will convince you you have it. Get to the doctor and trust your partner until you have evidence.

1 Like

Sounds like a classic ‘water infection’ to me which you can develop when your immune system is on the floor. And, yes, you can pass on the bacteria to your partner. Which is why, when I had horrific cystitis after an illness I didn’t have PIV sex with my husband for a couple of weeks to make sure. The fact that you developed the symptoms first and the fact that your partner mentioned her own symptoms to you (ie. she’s not hiding anything) tends to indicate that you are likely ‘patient zero’, not the other way round.

If she’s never given you any indication that she may have been unfaithful I think you need to take a beat and look at the facts. Jumping to conclusions like that does her a great disservice and, if it was me, I’d be devastated to find out my partner’s mind immediately went to ‘cheating’ rather than just an infection. I’ve had a few UTIs in the 20+ years I’ve been with my husband, not once did I ever think it was due to him cheating and I think he’d be very upset if I had. In which case I’d strongly advise not to mention your suspicions to her, unless you receive any medical results that do actually confirm an STI.

4 Likes

Like others have said, maybe try not to stress about it, wait for the results and then investigate further.
It may be nothing, these things can hit your immune system when down.

Dr Google is my worst enemy so I can understand why your mind went immediately to the worst case scenario! However, as others have said, it’s entirely possible you have a UTI and that she also has one too (could be bacteria being passed between you or could even be an unfortunate coincidence). Or, perhaps you have long Covid and her symptoms are a false alarm.

If you love each other and are committed to each other, I would be focusing on the UTI route, as the most likely cause and try not to worry about the other possibility. If she hasn’t given you any indication that she might have been unfaithful then it’s likely Dr Google is messing with your emotions. Rest up and feel better soon x

My OH is on immunosuppressive meds, so we have to be very careful, in the past she’s got Cystitis and passed it on to me. We now know how to avoid either of us getting it. But never did i ever suspect her of cheating.

3 Likes

Self diagnosing on internet is usually a no go for your own state of mental health as it can be so unpredictable in what you’ll get told from one site to the next.
I’d try keep calm until your doctors results come back.
But on the other hand if you have a urine infection that usually will cause some sort of stinging while you pee. Have you experienced that?

1 Like