Help! No period but not pregnant?!

I am due my period today, but it hasn't yet arrived. I am regular as clockwork as always- first thing in the morning as soon as I get up (5/6am), sometimes even in the early hours in the morning that it wakes me up with cramps. It is very very rarely late or this late, or even early. (Last month though I was a day early, which panicked me a bit because it caught me unawares! Please note though, that last months' period for me was my last withdrawal bleed during the 7 day break from my pill then I never went back on it). I finished my pill safely and at the end of the pack and was careful having sex with my OH using condoms a few weeks to a month before I came off it, as mentioned later on in this thread.

I have been feeling a little strange lately, I had abdominal cramps/twinges last week for about 3/4 days but nothing painful though or anything that alarmed me greatly (I usually experience things similar to this a day or two before my period to warn me that it's on it's way bit found it strange at almost a week early), I've also been quite tired, more hungry as usual and been having more toilet trips during the day but particularly at night. I have recently been put on long term a/b for interstitial cystitis as a prevention aid, but even so, it's still alot of toilet trips even for me with such a sensitive and overactive bladder. I know that these symptoms could be related to anything and not just pregnancy, I do work long hours so I could just be tired, but I get used to it and can usually overcome it. I do generally eat alot but even more so lately.

The thing is I can't possibly be pregnant, I came off the pill (cilest) a month ago now due to me wanting to have a break from it and experience my body as it really is, and I am due an operation later this week for removal of a cervical ectropion of which may come back if I continue to take the pill.

Since a couple months ago, me and my OH have used condoms even whilst I was still on the pill as I was still in two minds as to what I wanted to do until eventually deciding to come off it altogether, and as far as I know, none of them have split as we do check afterwards and are always careful with them. I was always careful with my pill, I very rarely, if ever forgot to take it, sometimes took it a couple hours late but I was on it for 7 years and have never had a scare before, it suited me perfectly and I never experienced any side effects. Another reason for me coming off it was the fact I was finding it a burden having to keep remembering it each day and having to actually take it as I am not very good at swallowing pills anyway. Although for 7 years, I managed it incredibly well for me!

I took a test this morning and it was negative. I have read stories of how long it can take your body to return to normal after stopping the pill but I feel that this would be very unlikely of me, and as mentioned, I have had the warning cramps, moodiness/irritability/emotions ect...

I am not stressed in anyway that I know of, I am not overweight or underweight, although I have lost 4'Ibs since coming off the pill but I am still within my BMI and a healthy weight for my height and age (I am 23, 5'5'' and 9 stone 9'Ibs now from 9 stone 13'Ibs a month ago, and feel as though otherwise I am generally in good health. I am a constant chronic sufferer of cystitis and uti's but this has never seemed to affect me or my periods in the past so I can't see it being that.

*confused*

Thanks for taking the time to read my super long thread guys and gals! x x

rb

x x

Hi

so you stopped taking the pill and now your late? Is that right?

I wouldn't worry when I stopped the pill I was all over the place for months and then missed one, like you I wasn't pregnant, then after that they settled down.

It takes a few months for the hormones to work their way out of your system. If you are really worried pop and see your GP but I am sure that you are fine.

Try not to worry about it, the pill keeps you regular as clockwork and when you come off it sometimes it takes awhile for your body to adjust. Having warning cramps doesn't necessarily mean anything, I used to get them sometimes a week before the bleed started

thanks boobaloo, I understand what your are saying but how can it take a few months for the hormones to get out of your system but you can still get pregnant sometimes as soon after finishing it? with the hormones still in your system you wouldv'e thought it would stil protect you for a while. I am not saying you are wrong, it just seems like the evidence is contradictory! lol.

I wouldn't seem like me for mine to be unsettled though, I'm so regular that I wouldv'e thought it would carry on as before. I have been taking womens health vitamins specific for hormonal balance to help everything to return smoothly along back to normal.

x x

I really hate this though, I just want it to return to normal. It's things like this that will make me stressed and then they will take longer to return to normal, so it's like a vicious circle. my mum came off the pill when she was my age to try to have me, and within a month hers returned to normal and within 6 weeks she was pregnant with me.

x x

if the test is negative, you can always retest in a few days, you are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive on a pregnancy test as there has to be something there for it to show as positive, but you can always be to early to test for it to show up. Thats probably not put your mind at rest.

I was always like clockwork and I am again now that I am off the pill but it did take about 6 months for me to get completely back to normal, I would wait a couple of weeks and if still nothing maybe contact your gp.

xx

6 months! oh my god! I have read that yes, I have made up a little emergency bag that I've put in my handbag just incase it catches my unawares again!

x x

yeah 6 months is quite a long time but I have been fine since, even with having the baby inbetween, I am not going back on the pill I tried lots of different ones over 9 or 10 years and none of them suited me.

I would carry something with you, but you will probably settle back down soon, I missed one completely one month and then after that have been back to normal, my doc said it was my body resetting itself, I was convinced I was pregnant and all the tests where wrong but I wasn't.

I really hope they do settle down soon. I like to know where I stand. lol.

x x

ronnie-baby wrote:

thanks boobaloo, I understand what your are saying but how can it take a few months for the hormones to get out of your system but you can still get pregnant sometimes as soon after finishing it? with the hormones still in your system you wouldv'e thought it would stil protect you for a while. I am not saying you are wrong, it just seems like the evidence is contradictory! lol.

I wouldn't seem like me for mine to be unsettled though, I'm so regular that I wouldv'e thought it would carry on as before. I have been taking womens health vitamins specific for hormonal balance to help everything to return smoothly along back to normal.

x x

how tablets like the pill work is that they build up a concentration in your body. while there is still some in your system it isn't enough hormone to stop ovulation and prevent pregnancy. It will take a while for your body to go back to normal.

I wouldnt worry about it, the frequent urination and cramps could be part of the cystitis at they are usually frequent symptoms.

as has been said you can always contact your doctors surgery, local family planning clinic or NHS direct on

0845 4647

thanks sweetlove666. I'll give it a couple weeks and then see my gp if nothings happened still. I just don't feel like 'me'!

x x

its unfortunatley how periods and body functions are!

i was on cezarette for at least 4 years and it messed me up right up untill november when i got the implant.

I hope I don't have to wait too long for them to return to normal.

x x

Wait, wait. You took the pill for 7 years, it should, logically, take a good few months for your body to readjust. Of course this isn't just in your period! The pill quite drastically changes (generally increases, depending on the pill) your hormones, so coming off it after a while can produce some hormonal effects like exhaustion, weight-fluctuation, hunger, nausea and mood swings. Just like when you're pregnant, pre-menstural or menopausal your hormone levels produce these sorts of symptoms. =)

When I came off the pill after just 2 years I experienced severe mood swings, skipped a period altogether, gained a lot of weight and couldn't get out of bed in the monings. I believe it's quite normal for these things to happen. Of course, there could be other causes too, or at least other things contributing,

If you have changed your diet recently, this can affect your periods. You don't have to have a weight change, just a changed level of things you're putting into your body! I lost a couple of stone a while back and didn't have a period for four months... Even losing or gaining a little weight can push your period back a day or two.

Since you say you are not stressed or anything, and you don't believe it can be because of your health issues, etc, it could literally just signify a coming infection. Anything, a stomach bug, a cold... It's not entirely unheard of that this can cause changes in the menstrual cycle.

I really wouldn't worry about it after one day, no matter how regular you normally are. Wait a few days, and if it doesn't come back, you can see your doctor. They might make you do another pregnancy test though, just to be sure!

Good luck x

Thanks Booties. x x

Dont worry about it, when I, like a lot of others who posted so far, came off the pill my periods were all over the place.. even now, 10 years on my periods can still be irregular anywhere between 28 days (usual) and 35 days apart. The pill is the thing that keeps your periods regular and as it is only the first 'real' pill free period I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than errratic. Plus you're on antibiotics whcih can screw up your system. DONT worry, you'll be fine.

I think everyone has it covered already.

Of course it's also important to remember that the bleed you have during pill taking isn't a "true" period and therefore it's likely that your usual routine will alter slightly when you start having "true" periods again.

Adx

thanks everyone, you've all been so helpful and have put my mind at ease. I've started getting little cramps again this afternoon, so hopefully it's on it's way!

x x