How do you know when you’re a sex addict?

I’m curious as to wither I’ve just got a high sex drive? Or an actual problem that I may need help for.

4 Likes

Generally, if something has completely taken over your life to the point of causing you problems at work, ruining relationships (not just romantic ones), has taken over all hobbies and free time, and/or you are taking risks to fulfil your needs, then you have a problem.

If you just like very regular sex, then it is just a high libido. However, if you feel like you might have a problem, talking with a professional can be a good idea, even if it just gives you peace of mind

6 Likes

See I don’t feel like it’s taken over my life. I work, I enjoy hobbies (motorcycling and gym). Im much higher driven sexually than anyone I know, including my other half. It makes me worry sometimes. And if I’m honest kinda depresses me a bit at times too.

1 Like

I think if it is causing you to be come depressed at times then definitely seek medical advice. To be honest from what you have said it sounds more like a high sex drive rather then a problem as such if your still functioning in other aspects of your life.

2 Likes

I’m definitely still functioning in daily life, I don’t feel consumed by it. Just sort of feel like the odd one out in my circle. Sorry folks, just having a bit of a rubbish evening an thought I’d vent here. Probably the only place where people actually talk about this kinda stuff.

Doesn’t sound like an addiction as you have it under control, rather than your sex drive controlling you.

Mismatched sex drive can be very difficult to manage.
I remember a year when my wife change to the mini pill, suppressing her periods too.
It was a very effective contraceptive, it almost totally killed her sex drive.
She wanted sex once a month or so… i found that very difficult to manage.
I would try to initiate sex many a times, and be rejected over and over again… to the point where i felt rubbish and almost stopped initiating sex to avoid the inevitable rejection yet again.

From talking with pretty open female friends and colleagues, some contraceptives have a massive impact on libido for some.
Something for younto bear in mind.

3 Likes

I’m in that boat as we speak, and I can agree fully that it’s really hard to deal with. I’d never seek sex else where, but I totally can understand why some people do.

How do you know if you’re a sex addict?

Blisters followed by corns on your penis is a good indicator. :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Then i woukd suggest to her to come off it.

Use condoms or whatever else… I preferred regular sex with condoms than scarcely having sex…

As for going off the condoms… that really boosted her sex drive!! Christ, nothing like a woman hell bent on getting pregnant!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Sadly, little sex during pregnancy or after 1y or more after child birth, but I think I was too tired to care. :rofl:

1 Like

This made me chuckle mate. Thank you.

1 Like

I doubt she will come off them, I’ll have to suffer I suppose.

I (30s M) can sympathise, I’ve had a very high sex drive since mid teens, barring one thankfully brief period of depression.

I can easily spend a couple of hours a day masturbating, alongside partner intercourse 3-5 times a week. This is reduced if I keep myself very physically and mentally active but even then I find myself fantasising frequently about my partner and others throughout the day, and working to maximise opportunities for and quality of sex.

That said, I’m not over the line of addiction (speaking from experience with substances long ago) as I am not making choices that damage or jeopardise my quality of life or that of my friends and family.

It’s worth reading the wiki definition:

Sexual addiction involves an engagement in excessive, compulsive, or otherwise problematic sexual behavior that persists despite negative physiological, psychological, social, and occupational consequences

My advice is to make sufficient satisfaction a priority, but never over health or relationships. Being on this forum is probably a good sign, loads of friendly judgement free advice and guides to improving quality.

Quantity or partnered sex is more likely to increase if you can improve quality for them (you are in the right place, toys are so effective!) and also remove any barriers (stress, housework, low self-esteem) to intimacy, but your partner may never reach a level of interest to match yours.

Case in point: I have been the higher desire partner in every relationship I’ve had and am essentially resigned to that always being the case (I’m sure there are some utter nymphomaniacs out there somewhere but I am yet to find one).

It’s also worth reviewing your and your partner’s diet, medication and supplements for anything that may increase or suppress libido, you could both try alternatives to find an equilibrium but be aware that suppressing it might well negatively affect your mood; many people’s self-esteem is tied to being desired or performing sexually and relationship satisfaction can depend upon regular intimacy (both certainly the case for me).

Best of luck, stay horny.

3 Likes

My apologies for the late reply, I’ve had a bit of a hectic day. Thanks for taking the time to reply, it’s much appreciated. I’ve never had a partner that’s evenly matched me in terms of sexual drive. It’s so frustrating. In all fairness to my other half she is on medication to treat her anxiety disorder, which has greatly reduced her drive. Which is a shame, because prior to her taking the meds, our sex life was amazing, we were very open to trying new things together and had a great time. We’ve been together for a good few years now, and I still feel like it’s the first week together. It can be so disheartening getting “knocked back” most of the time.

Mine is when I can’t see and there’s blisters on my palms :ok_hand:

I find myself asking this very question sometimes but then I think, if it’s not taking away fromy day to day activities then I’m ok, I enjoy a healthy amount of sex in my opinion, I like my toys I like men and I like women, I masterbate a lot, but it’s never to the point where it’s all I can think about…

2 Likes

I am in the same boat brother. I am 51 but have a very high sex drive. My wife just went through menopause and she does not want it any. I am thinking this is eventually going to tear us apart.

I’m hoping it never tears me and my Mrs apart, I’ll just have to masturbate more often and accept the inevitable

I’m thankful I’m not the only one then.

1 Like

My wife has refused to do anything like a hand job and of course a blow job. So I am not sure how it is going to last like this. It is very depressing.

1 Like

Weirdly like any addiction you tend to realise if it’s an issue when you can’t go a day or week without it and often when it no longer becomes a joy but more of a need to have it regardless of the quality or stuff :nerd_face:
So a good question to ask is if you get really horny would you do anything to fufill that urge, I.e. have sex with men as well as women and even consider renting a sex worker out for the act with no care on how they look like?