How to wash a menstrual cup bag?

Hi. So I have a menstrual cup but for the past few months, I have been using tampons and now I’m ready to move on to my menstrual cup again. I’ve noticed the bag I keep my cup in is quite dusty and it smells weird. Am I able to wash it? I don’t really want to put it in the washing machine as my family would be questioning me about it. My family is against menstrual cups because they think they are gross. I was thinking about hand washing it but will that ruin the bag? For reference, my cup is a salt soft menstrual cup and it’s the original bag that came with the cup. All advice and suggestions are welcomed.

Did it come with any washing instructions/care label? Do you know what material it is?

@Ian_Chimp I don’t really remember it has been a year since I actually got it. It’s like a cotton type material I think.

You should be okay handwashing it in warm water if it’s a fabric bag. Though if you flark it up you can always buy another. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Ian_Chimp Yeah I can always try. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use baby shampoo when I’m hand-washing Mrs Chimp’s delicates. Maybe a couple of washes in something more gentle might be better than using something stronger?

1 Like

@sharbur
Is there anything on the bag that suggests it is for a menstrual cup?
It could be a jewellery/make up/potpourri bag.
Otherwise, if you can’t risk putting it in the washing machine then a hand wash will be fine.
Maybe you could just use some shower gel with very hot water and make sure it’s well rinsed afterwards.

@sharbur I just ordered a few extra menstrual cup drawstring bags. When I got them, I turned them inside out and washed them in a lingerie bag with my regular load of clothes to keep them separate since they’re small. It got rid of the linty dusty debris, and they didn’t shrink. I didn’t see any care instruction on their website, but I’m sure hand washing would be just fine as well. If you don’t like the cotton material since it’s kinda thick, you could order just the drawstring bag from another menstrual cup company (I have a couple silkier bags from a different company) or just use a drawstring bag from one of your smaller sex toys if you like the material and think they’ll wash up well :wink:

I don’t own a menstrual cup, but I have reusable pads. Came with a bag that’s waterproof on inside and I think polyester on the outside. I just rinse under cold tap, and then put through normal wash in washing machine (either a 40 or 60 degree wash). If for whatever reason I I don’t use it I put my pads in a fine mesh laundry bag. Been doing this for over a year no issues. Nothing has got stained.