I think I'm done with bikini waxes

I've been having bikini waxes (Hollywoods) for a few months now and I think I'm done. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. You go through all that pain for a like a week of smoothness and you have to let the hair grow out so it can be done again for a few weeks. I get loads of ingrowing hairs, too. Not to mention, I always have to pluck the little stragglers out when I get home. So annoying.

I've been using my IPL machine on my legs for about 11 weeks and I'm happy with the results so far. My legs are staying smooth and in-grown hairs are very rare. That's what I want for my bikini area so I'm just going to try that from now on.

Is anyone else sick of waxing?

2 Likes

Hi HunnyMonster29, I wax once a month and shave the rest of the time. Reason being like you the hair doesn't stay away long and I too get ingrowing hairs. So when the time of the month is coming I start to grow it out slightly and then get it waxed again. Would love to know how you get on with IPL machine. X

I am just starting my waxing journey tomorrow, I thought it may be easier during pregnancy.

Hoping that it will make it grow slower too so that I can enjoy some summery maternity dresses.

Do you find it still grows back just as fast?

I've noticed I get one full week (usually 7-10 days) or proper smoothness, then it does start to grow back in. Leanne - my hair is much finer, not as coarse and when it grows back in it seems softer? I'd still go for waxing over shaving any day! Shaving gives me the most horrible reaction and it's a total pain in the arse to reach some areas haha

1 Like

I tried it once and never again, I couldn’t handle the pain, I always thought I had a good pain threshold till I tried waxing! Hats off to all of you that can withstand it

2 Likes

I’m turning to IPL- which one do you have? It’s my birthday today and I’m going to buy one for myself x

Exactly the same experience for me HoneyMonster. Hate shaving, am also trying IPL. Just can’t justify the cost of a Hollywood for a week’s worth of smoothness.

Any IPL suggestions Gossig?

Delightful87 wrote:

Any IPL suggestions Gossig?

You might find this thread interesting too if you've not already come across it. 🙂

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/off-topic/1762689-ipl-hair-removers-do-they-work/

Thanks Ian!

MrsG. wrote:

Hi HunnyMonster29, I wax once a month and shave the rest of the time. Reason being like you the hair doesn't stay away long and I too get ingrowing hairs. So when the time of the month is coming I start to grow it out slightly and then get it waxed again. Would love to know how you get on with IPL machine. X

I was told not to shave at all otherwise the hair will be on different growth cycles and it will ruin the benefits of the wax? I don't know.

I'll be sure to do little updates every few weeks like I've done on my other post with my legs. I just hope I get similar results, lol.

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

I am just starting my waxing journey tomorrow, I thought it may be easier during pregnancy.

Hoping that it will make it grow slower too so that I can enjoy some summery maternity dresses.

Do you find it still grows back just as fast?

I found that it seems to always have about one week of smoothness before it starts getting prickly but after that, the hair grows back less coarse and a little slower. I used to wait 5 weeks between waxes and the length/thickness by the end always seemed a little less than the previous time. But I wouldn't get a longer period of complete smoothness if that's what you mean.

@ Delightful87 - I have the Smoothskin Gold 200 (200,000 flashes). It's a bit big and bulky but it does the job. I was originally going to get an unknown brand one but this came up in a clearance January sale for the same price so I snatched it up. I paid about £105 for it from Argos and it came with 2 years warranty.

@Gosig- I know, right? I pay about £20 per treatment and it is a bit of a rip off for a week of ideal smoothness (no pun intended, there). Not to mention, the area looks pretty red and angry for a day or two after the wax so you aren't even getting a good week.

Has anybody tried hair growth inhibitors?

Do they work?

i used to have waxing and enjoyed it, you do get a nice smooth finish for a few days afterward yes, however i think finding a good razor gives the same results. in respect of ingrown hairs, make sure you regularly exfoliate the area post shaving. this helps massively. also using a good post shave cream, i just use coconut oil. I have recived compliments on how smooth and 'pink/fresh' my noon looks on my twitter account.

@ The Woodie - Oh? I haven't heard of these things. Maybe it's something to look into.

@SquirtyPanda - I do try to exfoliate and use lotion but the skin feels a little too sensitive to do it for a while. The coconut oil sounds like a good idea because it's more natural. I'll have to try it.

HunnyMonster29 wrote:

@SquirtyPanda - I do try to exfoliate and use lotion but the skin feels a little too sensitive to do it for a while. The coconut oil sounds like a good idea because it's more natural. I'll have to try it.

Tbh if the skin is too sensitive then that to me suggests the person doing it is doing it wrong. The wax is too hot, too much wax, ripping the wax off too hard and fast etc, you shouldnt be left with a sore vagina for no more than 24 hours imo. Perhaps try another salon

@SquirtyPanda - Really? Oh well, it doesn't matter. I'm just going to zap it from now on and see how that goes.

Reading that I think I'm quite lucky. I've been doing sugaring for nearly 2 years now. I usually go for a Hollywood every 5 to 6 weeks and my genital area feels so lovely and smooth. There's no escape, the hair grows back, but it's much thinner and also less as well, so I think it's quite bearable wait for the right time to do it again.

It's fair to say since I've started having sugaring, as opposed to waxing, I never got to a point where I can see I'm going to have a "full bush" again if I don't do it. Besides, with me at least never seemed to have any problems with ingrowing hair or reactions, like happened with waxing.

1 Like

Ooooo maybe I should try sugaring then if the IPL doesn't work. Still early days with mine, so I'm not sure if its doing anything yet or not, but shaving absolutely does my head in and I have no idea how folk are managing to do front and back, I'm just not bendy/ dextrous enough!