Iceland! Any tips, information or guidence please.

So as I'm aproaching my 38 th birthday, I'm starting to plan my 40 th birthday celebration. I'm hoping to go to Iceland for a week, to hopefully see the Northern lights.

I know the best time of year to see the northern lights is Sept to March. I also want to visit the blue lagoon.

Do any of you live in Iceland?

Have you visited? Any tips on how to reduce the cost of eating and drinking there, as it looks really really expensive.

No but it's on my so I look forward to the replies! I have friends who have been, but I don't know what time of year it was.

We are planning to go in February so I'll let you know. So far we have hotel with breakfast included in the price which should help with food costs but I am expecting it to be expensive. Hopefully will be worth it!
I really hope my OH takes this amazing trip as a good opportunity to finally pop the question! X

I've been a couple of times and we're going again next year. It's a beautiful country. Have been a Akureyri, Isafordjur and Reykjavik but only for a day each time as we go on cruises. The Blue Lagoon is stunning, well worth a visit, though be aware you have to shower completely naked before you enter the lagoon. Most people use the open showers but there are private cubicles too. Apparently they do spa treatments in the water - massages and stuff - which I'd like to try if I go again. Not cheap though, ditto the products in the shop ![](upload://jokG3WtlbVccWAgGjeuPxY6tITM.gif).

It *is* expensive to eat/drink, not real way getting around it, especially if exchange rates remain as unfavourable as they are currently. Try to venture off the main streets/super touristy ares as, as with any big city, the prices are a lot lower off the beaten track. I'd also recommend looking at the ice safari tours. We drove up to a glacier (in a HUGE truck - the wheels were taller than me!) then walked inside it which was breathtaking.

The penis museum in Reykjavik is educational/a giggle too!

I've seen the ad's on TV I thought they did some good meal deals ![](upload://JDvwB4BqTlXmc0TRZyEqziKCrM.gif)

secret_scarlett wrote:

We are planning to go in February so I'll let you know. So far we have hotel with breakfast included in the price which should help with food costs but I am expecting it to be expensive. Hopefully will be worth it!
I really hope my OH takes this amazing trip as a good opportunity to finally pop the question! X

I will be interested to hear what you think. We too are planning to go in February or the end of January, but in 2019.

DreamsOfChi wrote:

I've been a couple of times and we're going again next year. It's a beautiful country. Have been a Akureyri, Isafordjur and Reykjavik but only for a day each time as we go on cruises. The Blue Lagoon is stunning, well worth a visit, though be aware you have to shower completely naked before you enter the lagoon. Most people use the open showers but there are private cubicles too. Apparently they do spa treatments in the water - massages and stuff - which I'd like to try if I go again. Not cheap though, ditto the products in the shop .

It *is* expensive to eat/drink, not real way getting around it, especially if exchange rates remain as unfavourable as they are currently. Try to venture off the main streets/super touristy ares as, as with any big city, the prices are a lot lower off the beaten track. I'd also recommend looking at the ice safari tours. We drove up to a glacier (in a HUGE truck - the wheels were taller than me!) then walked inside it which was breathtaking.

The penis museum in Reykjavik is educational/a giggle too!

I have been doing a a bit of research and think end of Jan - Feb would be best time to see the Northern lights. I wasn't planning on staying in Rekjavic itself. I have seen a very nice looking hotel close to the blue lagoon, which I think would be our chosen place to stay. It's out in the country a bit so a better chance of seeing the Northern lights. I do want to do the blue lagoon, it looks very good. But we will not be eating there.

I had considered hiring a 4x4 car for the week so we can explore a little. I also had thought we could get some snacks from the supermarkets near the airport, particularly as there is a fridge in the room type we would be wanting to stay in. This should help with the cost of food. The hotel also includes breakfast.

Are most places open all year round? I didn't know if the museums would be closed in February.

Fun Louise wrote:

I have been doing a a bit of research and think end of Jan - Feb would be best time to see the Northern lights. I wasn't planning on staying in Rekjavic itself. I have seen a very nice looking hotel close to the blue lagoon, which I think would be our chosen place to stay. It's out in the country a bit so a better chance of seeing the Northern lights. I do want to do the blue lagoon, it looks very good. But we will not be eating there.

I had considered hiring a 4x4 car for the week so we can explore a little. I also had thought we could get some snacks from the supermarkets near the airport, particularly as there is a fridge in the room type we would be wanting to stay in. This should help with the cost of food. The hotel also includes breakfast.

Are most places open all year round? I didn't know if the museums would be closed in February.

Can't comment on the Northern Lights as we always go in the Summer. If you go in the Winter be prepared it will be cold, like, *really* cold. Also the weather can be more of a problem in the colder months, obviously. A friend of mine went in March and their hotel got snowed in and the airport closed so they had to reschedule their flights home. That said, the locals are well prepared for extremes of weather and, even when the snow if 5ft deep they just carry on as normal, because it is. As such, things tend to run in and out of season - for example, the Phallological (penis!) Museum is open all day, every day, 10-6pm.

If you want transport to use outside of a city/main roads, you will need a good car. Our driver told us that a lot of tourists hire 'normal' cars then go off into the countryside and get into trouble because their vehicles can't cope with the terrain. The road network is excellent, up to a point - once you leave the beaten track, you really know about it.

Following for tips too! on my bucket list to see the northern lights, looks like an amazing place for photography too.

Yep, went in 2008 but for the longest day of the year and midnight sun. Work paid, which made life easier, but yes very expensive.

Definitely use your duty free allowance on spirits! Even if you leave 1/2 behind un-drunk you'll save a fortune!

Highly recommended the golden circle tour and whale watching (assuming they run in winter!)

Enjoy xx

Aw wow, I'm so jealous. I would love to go and stay in the Ice Hotel, it looks beautiful. I've heard there is a plane trip where you can fly through the lights. Definitely on my bucket list!

Sex Squid wrote:

Yep, went in 2008 but for the longest day of the year and midnight sun. Work paid, which made life easier, but yes very expensive.

Definitely use your duty free allowance on spirits! Even if you leave 1/2 behind un-drunk you'll save a fortune!

Highly recommended the golden circle tour and whale watching (assuming they run in winter!)

Enjoy xx

Good tip, about the duty free allowance. I don't travel abroad very often, (once in the last 12years). Do you pick up your duty free in Uk and take it with you?

Can you purchase alcohol in supermarkets in Iceland? I thought we could but alcohol cheeper in a supermarket and drink it in our room. I'm not talking cases of beer but a few bottles of beer I thought might be nice.

Im not sure the circle tour would be possible in early February as the weather could be very snowy, but I had thought about it. I do want to spend a day in Reyjkevik maybe 2, a day at the blue lagoon, but the rest of the time out in the countryside trying to see the Northern lights.

Sex Squid wrote:

+1 to this - Golden Circle tours are one of the best value-for-money things you can do in a very, very expensive country.

The owner of the hotel I stayed in said always use your full duty-free allowance as you come in because often other guests in the hotel or even locals will buy any excess off you because it's so expensive in the (few) licensed shops.

Smart Mums go there I think...

I have just found out that the flights for 2019 will be avalible in March 2018 so I'm excited to book flights and hotel soon.

Its my OH 30th next year we've always wanted to go, so i'm planning it as a surprise xx

LifePlay wrote:

I've seen the ad's on TV I thought they did some good meal deals

Damn it! Didn't get to the thread in time to make the joke first.

Victoria92 wrote:

Its my OH 30th next year we've always wanted to go, so i'm planning it as a surprise xx

If your wanting to go for a few days there are some good deals on some travel sites (travel zoo) have some good deals at the moment but different companies have good deals at different times.

You will need lots of spending money.

I'm told the Glacier is worth going to, but if its raining they won't let you climb/walk on it for obvious safety reasons. Also, there's boat trips out to see the whales, subject to sea conditions.

HTH,

N.

Ok so another question.

Iceland has almost gone cash free. So almost everything is paid for with a credit/debit card.

So im thinking I need a prepaid credit card. There are a few different options avalible, but does anyone have any experience of using one of these? Any recommendations on which one to use? Or not use?

I have read you shouldn't buy fuel or car hire with a prepaid card but I don't know why. Can anyone shed any light on why this is?