If it doesn't fit the models, how is it going to fit us?

This was originally going in the Empowering Costumes thread but it turned into a bit of a rant instead about my recent lingerie purchases here is where I start to talk about the fit and I’ve went off on a tangent now :man_shrugging:t2:

We all want to feel empowered and wear outfits/costumes/lingerie that help us feel confident and strong, but it needs to fit us. And our first impression is seeing it on the model.

It would be really nice to see models in outfits that actually fit them and that their bodies haven’t been manipulated to make the clothes fit.
If the outfits don’t fit the model, then that should make the designers rethink the design. And show more models that represent us all! There is one model that has a belly hang and I love to see them because then I get an actual understanding of how it might look on me. I wish I was a curvier version of a ‘standard’ size with a flat stomach, but I’m not and I’m ok with that! I’m convinced that blonde model always has her arms up to avoid a side bulge showing. Show us the bulge because its real!

This rant is all because I didn’t look close enough at the product photos. Its my own fault for hoping that a structured underwire that is normally too big in the plus sizes, might actually fit because people were saying it was small. In LH sizing terms, I hoped that meant it might fit. Honestly don’t know where I even got that thought from, that was really stupid :rofl:

I look at the pics and think the models are all stunning but think that piece would highlight my belly and I might not want to do that, if only it could be a bit longer or have a bit of fishnet for coverage. Or I’d like it to come up a bit higher at the back or have a 3 clasp closure instead of 2.

I’m not sure I would want a plus size outfit to be significantly different from the standard sizes. I know not everyone would want that so I don’t know how there would be a happy medium that would suit everyone and maybe the fit as it is now is the happy medium.
But when nearly every review talks about the poor fit, it would be really nice to know that those reviews are being listened to and that the feedback is applied to future designs or even just redesigning the piece that we all love but can’t wear because we don’t feel confident in it because the fit is off.

I know there will be people of all sizes that feel or don’t feel that the models represent their race, body size/shape, ablebodiness (I may have made up a word), gender and so many more that I can’t think of mid rant.

For example, so many men in the forums talk about wearing ‘womens’ lingerie, I’d love to see this represented in the product photos.

Lingerie is for everyone, we shouldn’t have to change our bodies to fit clothes. Clothes should fit our bodies :man_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

Very well spoken and I do believe there should be a body confident range of lingerie for plus size women and a collection designed for men too!

Maybe it could be the case of a questionnaire being put together to help LH understand more about the desires of its customers to better improve its ranges and then working alongside a selection of people being all sizes, gender to create something that speaks to the customers :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The selection for men is even more limited! The models don’t change with the sizing and the biggest size I saw for men was XXL. Thats not to say that it is the biggest, I did only check a few styles.

3 Likes

Sizing is also not equal across brands as well; in XL in one brand might cover up to a 42" waist, but in another brand it only goes up to 38" or 40" etc. I tend to float between a 42" and a 44" so LH’s XXL size is usually pretty decent and comfortable - but the lack of consistency across lines is a real issue - and for me, it’s the general lack of inclusive sizes. I’ve harped on about this before - but all I want is sexy male underwear in bigger and more inclusive sizes!

1 Like

Sorry your purchases didn’t fit you :pleading_face: It’s so disheartening when that happens. It took me ages to find things that fitted. I almost gave up thinking that nothing was designed for my body shape. Now that I’ve found some things that fit I have a better idea of what to look for and have a slightly higher success rate. If you wanted to share your sizing maybe someone might have some recommendations? If there’s anything that you’ve purchased before that fitted, that would help to get an idea of what styles would fit. I’m a pear shape with small chest in comparison to my hips and bum. Unfortunately my waist isn’t very small either, it’s the same as my under boob measurement in other words I don’t have one! :sweat_smile: I buy stuff without “cups” now because it’s highly unlikely that I’d fill them! The styles that I favour now are ones that I never expected to like.

4 Likes

I generally go for things that don’t have a structured cup because it never works out for me. Bodys and body stockings are my normal ‘go to’
I just really really wanted the Fierce range to fit in the styles that I liked, so yeah its disappointing but I’ll reset my expectations and put on my big girl pants and get over it.

1 Like

I’ve got this fierce body, I’m not sure if that might suit you? It was a tester and I probably wouldn’t have picked it out otherwise but it’s actually one of my favourites now.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying, however I have worked in the fashion world (albeit as a photographer, but enough to know what I am on about).

The simple problem is that each of those options that you’re presenting would represent a multiplication of the number of items held in inventory. The costs spiral, some may never sell and as big a market as sexy undies are, it’s still relatively niche compared with other sectors so designing, manufacturing, transporting and storing all these items in the hope they’ll sell is not going to happen.

We are seeing much more ‘plus size’ available these days as a response to demand and the changing shape of peoples bodies in the modern age, but again we simply must accept that a garment that looks great on a size 6 or 8 woman many not look as flattering on a size 16 or 18 simple by increasing size. In some cases a whole new garment would be better.

Basically that’s the problem with purchasing clothing online without the ability to try on, some people whose body size / shape doesn’t fit neatly into a standardised / averaged set of norms will always find buying online frustrating. Sure there are retailers that cater specifically to larger / taller / smaller (or whatever) bodies but LH is not one. The market is already niche enough (compared to the clothing sector in general) without making things even harder for yourself as a company by trying to cater to literally every permutation.

Hopefully if a given item repeatedly receives less favourable reviews then that gets back to the makers and the piece is re designed, but this takes time.

5 Likes

I did see that one and the enclosed back version. Its gorgeous.

1 Like

Yes I think when it comes to male models it’s even more selective than the women ones as majority of the men models are toned fit looking guys that give off the persona that these outfits will only look right on that type of man…
There definitely needs to be a fair sense of equality amongst the progress of body image rather than it solely being focused at women as men struggle too with hang ups, if not more so as it’s a common stigma for guys to be silent about things.

2 Likes

That’s a typical obstacle to get through with sizing and the main reasoning behind it is if the items have been manufactured in different countries as there’s an array of fluctuations in size guidelines across the world. Whether it be the case a universal size chart is put together to better help make this an easier experience or all future outfits get made with one size reference to simplify things :thinking:

1 Like