I'm looking for a hobby

Having moved away from my friends and family, i think its about time i put myself out and about. Im not a very adventurous person and a tad shy.

Does anyone have ideas on how to meet new people and try new things when moving too a new city?

1 Like

Don't say it!

What?

What you're thinking!

Why?

It's in poor taste.

But it's funny.

Still don't say it.

What? Prostitution?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

More seriously. What interests/skills do you have already?

Genuine enthusiasm will be contagious.

I'm not sure i'd find a willing clientele!

I guess i'm trying to find myself and yes I know that sounds ridiculous.

I enjoy reading (I've tried a book group) and have recently signed up for swimming lessons.

I like stamps and history (bit sad i know, but i draw the line at a history of stamps)

I used to be into American sports but found that a bit hard to follow from this side of the pond.

Isn't Love Honey a hobby, more to a point, isn't buying from LH a hobby :P

When I moved to a new city, I joined a ju-jitsu club, to keep fit and hone my fighting skills, it was great fun and the other people where great.

But very much depends on what you are interested in, could be stamp collecting or chess or keep fit, be open and things will happen.

If you go regularly to a pool outside 'kids hours' there will be lots of chat available.

What stuff do you like to read?

I do volunteer work and I love my volunteer friends! We have a right laugh. Gives me something to look forward to when I'm super lonely like now.x

Awww hug. i get lonely. I joined my local poltical party of choice to volunteer, but they are horrendously bureaucratic so still waiting on actually doing something...

At a dementia day care :) it's the highlight of my week! X

I think volunteering is a good idea, sometimes like youve found, its easier said than done!

how about evening classes? look at your local college for a prospectus - learn a language, throw a few pots, indian head massage??

city socializing, depending where you live, online thing where people arrange to meet locally to do different stuff, ie pub crawls, walking, theatre

archery/shooting/fencing - though i found quite expensive when looked into it

good luck!

F&S's idea is excellent.

I have used evening classes in the past. Anything to do with cooking or wine tasting is especially good for meeting people. Food and alcohol usually help to break the ice and create lots of opportunities for fun and chat.

Thanks guys all great ideas.

I get random emals from someone called citysocializer, i cant work out if its free though

Fizz and Sparkle wrote:

how about evening classes? look at your local college for a prospectus - learn a language, throw a few pots, indian head massage??

city socializing, depending where you live, online thing where people arrange to meet locally to do different stuff, ie pub crawls, walking, theatre

good luck!

I was waiting for this to be suggested - else I was going to have to.

ARCHERY IS AMAZING!!

It is literally my life.

But I've managed to avoid going on about it on LH until now so I'll zip it again :P

What about badoo? It's a smart phone app that links you with local people? I don't know anymore about it cos I'm not in a situation to make use of it. I do know someone who uses it to meet people though.

Hi everyone.

I need to figure out a way to meet new people too. I tried some evening classes a few years ago. It didn't lead to new friends unfortunately but did help me get a job. I struggle to make the transition from 'Hi nice to meet you' to anything resembling friendship. I might look into organised walks which end with a drink in the pub. Exercise and alcohol sound good. Worse case scenario I end up with blisters and a hangover! Thanks for the idea Fizz and Sparkle.

Naughty Miss K wrote:

Fizz and Sparkle wrote:

good luck!

I was waiting for this to be suggested - else I was going to have to.

ARCHERY IS AMAZING!!

It is literally my life.

But I've managed to avoid going on about it on LH until now so I'll zip it again :P

For me, I loved that feeling where your mind seems to follow the arrow down a tunnel from bow to target.

There is so much I love about it. The satisfaction of spending years trainnig and putting in the hours and it all coming together. The trying days when it doesn't go quite right but is proof we can always improve. The satifsying *thump* of hitting the boss 100 yards away. The elation at getting a decent grouping all in the red at 80 yards. I could go on for hours. It is literally my life.

But that isn't very helpful for this thread...all I can say is join archery! Odds are there will be a club near you. Here's how to find one http://www.archerygb.org/support/clubs/club_finder.php

Naughty Miss K wrote:

There is so much I love about it. The satisfaction of spending years trainnig and putting in the hours and it all coming together. The trying days when it doesn't go quite right but is proof we can always improve. The satifsying *thump* of hitting the boss 100 yards away. The elation at getting a decent grouping all in the red at 80 yards. I could go on for hours. It is literally my life.

But that isn't very helpful for this thread...all I can say is join archery! Odds are there will be a club near you. Here's how to find one http://www.archerygb.org/support/clubs/club_finder.php

there is a club really near my house, but i couldnt afford the gear - they let you borrow the stuff for the duration of the course though so might just do the course to have a go! (i once had a go years ago and was warned to keep my ample chest out of the way - i didnt and OUCH!!!)

one of my friends is really into scouting, and always looking for leaders and helpers, not sure if camping etc is your thing?