Impending snip

Is the procedure a private hospital, what is the average cost?

1 Like

It depends where you are - I’m in the UK and it’s typically a postcode lottery as to whether it’s on the NHS or not. I ended up getting it done privately - although the clinic did both NHs and private. The person I booked with just checked where I was from - and sadly my local nhs area doesn’t pay. So it ended up costing me about £400 if I remember rightly.

Procedure was quick and mostly painless (they had to top up my numbing at one point - but none of the pain felt was actually painful.

I was happy to have it done - we had two kids through
iVF, and going through that was stressful enough, my wife had had enough of ploughing chemicals into her body, and we both hated condoms…best decision we’ve made and well worth the money (if you have to pay)

Good luck

2 Likes

It was done on the NHS for me. They had a clinic that does vasectomies on a Monday so there was a steady stream of men walking in nervous and leaving a short while later walking carefully but thanking the staff.

Ring your GP and ask for a consultation. As long as you are a suitable candidate (not 22 and no kids or a sleep deprived dad of a newborn) they should refer you to BPAS (British pregnancy advisory service) who talk you through it and then book the appointment.

I did have to chase them up and gave them a bit longer because of lockdowns and restrictions etc but there was a three month gap between speaking to BPAS in September and getting snipped yesterday

1 Like

Basically they give you a local anesthetic, which was by far the worst part of the whole thing, and after checking you can’t feel anything, they make a small incision with a laser. Then they cut the vas deferens on each side and seal by cortorising (burn) the ends to seal them. Then they do the same to seal the incision.

The recovery process is better than with the scalpel method. You do smell burning but I’m typing this sat on my sofa having a chill. It’s less than 24 hours since the operation and I woke up in no pain at all and bleeding stopped so wound healed. I took ibroprofen just in case but walking fine and having to remind myself to take it easy

3 Likes

The fun thing now is that you can compare yourself to a Christmas tree (the balls are just for decoration!). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Had mine some 18 years ago, all went smoothly and after my wife going through birth twice it was the only and right thing to do.
The most painful thing about it was the wife aiming for every speed bump and pothole on the way home :joy:

5 Likes

I’m in two minds whether to have one. My wife (in her late 40s) came off the coil 3 years ago, then we went on to condoms, which was fine for a while then around 18 months ago I started losing erection at times when putting on condom.

For past few months from changing our routine a bit I can now keep hard for using condoms but only reliably in missionary (occasionally when she’s on top). Keeping hard generally ok otherwise (though I may check with GP if I have mild form of ED).

Wondering whether to go through with vasectomy though given she’s only likely to be couple of years off menopause.

I’m going in on the 24th next month!
A little nervous, as where I’m going they won’t put me out - although seeing them before and may be required (I have a neurological condition resulting in leg spasms - wouldn’t be an ideal time, yet with fear and knowing whats going on quite likely - will depend on how brave the consultant feels haha)

Hey all,

Just a vote of thanks for those who have contributed to this thread. I’m all booked in for the snip in April. There’s some great advice about what to expect here. After Mrs B going through child birth (and complications) and whilst I’m terrified it’s the right thing for me to do it.

4 Likes

@broom you will be fine I am sure but good luck to you :+1:

1 Like

I am sure you will be fine - my husband has just had his consultation at the hospital and has opted for a general so he doesn’t have to be awake … perhaps this could be an option too?

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m going to opt for a local. I’ve had to have a couple of generals in the past for other things and they took me a day or two to get over. I’ll just have to get extra chatty with anyone in the room to distract me.

Do I sit or lay down? I don’t even know that?

1 Like

The surgeon will no doubt direct you at the time, some do it with you sitting and others lying down; it’s all on the surgeon’s preference.

1 Like

No word of a lie and not to scare but I had to ask for a bit more local but it really didn’t hurt too much at all. The recovery was quick and a sandwich and free jock strap at the end of the procedure :joy::joy: no more kids…what’s not to like about it.

1 Like

I asked on the phone when they made the appointment, and was told the clinic doesn’t do generals at all.
I told GP when I when to see them (this was pre-covid!) that I would strongly prefer a general and was told it would be dealt with when I have the consultation.
Will go to my appointment and see what they say. If its a case of waiting months more then I may just have to suck it up and let them deal with the leg spasms that happen.

If you have leg spasms surely they should give you a general? I can’t see how they would be able to risk doing the procedure with the chance of muscle spasms. Also, it’s your choice - they may recommend a local but if you want a general and there are no medical reasons against it, I believe that you are within your rights to push for what you want. You may have to go to a different clinic if they are unable to do it though.

I had mine done in the late 00’s (can’t remember the exact year) and under general anaesthetic as I just didn’t want to know what was going on, my partner (now wife) drove us to the hospital, waited around for a few hours and then drove us back home.
Took things steady for a while but all was good as far as I can remember.

They had a surgeon and two nurses with mine. One of them helped the surgeon and the other just chatted to me. Her only job was to keep patients calm. Five minutes of small talk about family and the surgeon said “That’s lefty done”. Five minutes chatting about my job and then “All done”.

You’ll be fine

1 Like

So 13 weeks after I had the procedure and I’ve had my letter giving me the all clear. I am sperm free and can have as much unprotected sex as I like…or as much she’ll let me.

Goodbye condoms. Goodbye taking the wife’s temperature every morning for an app to tell us when it was ok to have sex. Hello sex free of worries.

Nearly 15 years together and we were always careful. Only planned pregnancies. But the planning never took me long! So this is a relief.

If the wife’s “shark time” as some of you call it is over I might celebrate with fantastically unprotected sex tonight.

Woo hoo!

8 Likes

Having my vasectomy was the best thing ever as you say worry free sex and you will not believe the difference :joy: enjoy

2 Likes