Intercourse

Sorry.

Just kidding btw. To me sex means penetration. That's not always possible for a variety of reasons so there is no one definition.

if penetration is involved and you're capable that would mean sex, if you physically can't manage the penetration side the intimacy of foreplay and use of toys would count in my book, closeness intimacy and orgasming from sex between two people doesn't have to mean full on intercourse every time

Great thread, Anonybloke. I've had the ability to read everyone else's post to help me choose.

For me I think sex is to people indulging in some sort of sexual activity that then leads to at least one orgasm.

To me, "Sex" refers to any intimate, sexual act that involves the genitals. So, kissing is not sex, nor is a cuddle/grope...but any act performed on the genitals, whether that be touching them, penetrating them, licking them....you get the picture...thats all sex in my book. Of course, this is a simplified answer and my own opinion on the definition.

To me "penetration" is still a broad term that can refer to penis in vagina (PIV) anal penetration or penetration with sex toys and/or fingers, all of which still fall under my definition of "sex" as outlined above.

Wow! What have I started?!?

I first thought this because I love reading sex surveys and wondering how I fit in with the statistics. But if I read (for example) that the average is sex three times a month, my next thought is, well I have intercourse say, 4 times a month, but probably loads more orgasms with my partner than that in any given month.

So I kind of wondered how the survey was worded and what other people's opinion was.

And I'm glad this is a good healthy respectful debate... nice to make people think!

Its a hard one to answer isn't it! See now I am thinking about masturbation for example...that fits in with my "definition" above (sex act involving the genitals) but I would not class it as sex...instead...masturbation, so maybe I should broaden it to be "Any sex act that involves two or more people doing sexual acts that involve the genitals"....

Oh dear! lol It is almost impossible to define "What is sex" as it seems to be slightly different for everyone.

I would have thought there would have been a "legal" definition. You know, so there is no uncertainty or doubt in court about what "sex" means, but even a lawful definition might not represent the general consensus.

Hey if Bill Clinton struggled to define it what hope do the rest of us have.

That's a toughy!
I think the best explanation is Fluffbags, I totally agree

Just reading one of the FPAs recent sex ed leaflets '' Having sex, often called making love, includes any activity that sexually arouses you and your partner. It's not just about the penis penetrating the vagina.''

I actually do not think of sex just as penetration. I am actually currently interested in someone, who is disabled, on wheelchair and basically immobile from waist down, although his penis works fine. Still considering he cannot move, it would require some inventions of sexual activities we could have. Yet for me it would still mean we had sex.

So people who see sex as just penetration, would say we did not have sex if we would use different techniques to get both of our needs satisfied?