IPL Hair Removers- Do they work?

UPDATE (legs and bikini area):

Just a little update for those of you who were interested in my usage of the IPL hair removal machine.

So I have technically completed my 12 week course on my legs about 8 weeks ago. However, there are still some areas that have stubborn hairs that refuse to go. It’s very difficult to see where you have zapped when in use so I just think these hairs are just late to the 12 week finishing line because I’ve missed them a few times before. The instructions do say you can use it for more than 12 weeks as and when you need to.

As for the results, there is a big improvement. I don’t see any of those black dots where you could see the hair follicle inside the skin anymore. Any of the hair that does grow back is very fine and light which is crazy because my natural hair is so dark and thick. When I run my hand up and down my leg it doesn’t feel prickly but a little “gritty” for lack of a better word. So I wouldn’t say the results are completely smooth but I could comfortably walk around with my legs out without worrying about them. The only time they feel completely smooth is after a good shave.

I’ve also been using it downstairs after being pleased with the results of my legs. After 8 weeks I can see that less hair is growing back which is great. However, I’m getting a two-toned effect because my IPL machine automatically adjusts the power setting depending on the skin/hair it’s on. So the lighter skin near the top of my pubic area and insides of my inner-thigh are showing the best results. But the darker skin that’s closer to my lips/slit is still growing hair. Now, it’s not growing back at the same rate it was; it’s just slowly growing back less and less each time so I think that section will take longer than 12 weeks.

When I was waxing my bikini area, I would get awful ingrown hairs. With the IPL machine, I still get them now and again but they are usually easy to get out when I do. I’m not going to lie; zapping HURTS! It’s not in every area, but some places hurt more than others. At least I can do this treatment relatively quickly and the pain goes away fast and there’s no irritation afterwards. I’d never go back to waxing.

I’m still happy about my results and I don’t mind the once a week treatment. The thing I’m most pleased about is not seeing the hair follicles because no matter how close I shaved you could always see them (I have fair skin and dark hair so it was obvious on me).

I’ll update again in a few weeks. Zap!

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one.

After months of deliberating/procrastinating on buying an IPL machine, I found one 2nd hand at a price I was happy with to "give it a go" and see what happened.

The machine is a Babyliss Connected IPL, looks quite like a hair dryer.

Turns out you have to connect it to a phone to alter anything, set up the app on my iPhone 8 but Bluetooth wouldn't connect, device not supported. Tried an older iPad, no dice. Finally used Mrs Sens Huawai android ph and all good.

First session recommended at the lowest setting so that's what we went with.

I did my entire stomach area (below chest), and entire pubic area incl testicles. Was very quick, a little tricky to go from spot to spot but think I got good coverage). Being on the lowest setting, felt no pain at all, just a little warm feeling when the light pulsed. Not expecting results after 1 low setting session but will ramp it up next time and see from there.

Really hoping to reduce shaving twice weekly and avoid the prickly kiwi fruit look.

Mrs Sen also used it on her bikini line / outer labia on same setting (being careful not to zap sensitive inner areas), no pain either.

Next session due this weekend, fingers crossed.

@Senator - I actually forgot about this thread and didn't even do an update. Oops...

Great that you got one at a decent price as I know they can be expensive. Always best to get a branded one or something with good reviews. I didn't know you could get app ones.

LATE UPDATE:

Legs - I still zap them now and again but it hardly feels necessary now. They tend to stay smooth in general but I give them a quick once over with a razor when I shower to get any sneaky single hairs. I don't let the hair grow all the way anymore throughout the week - I just shave as and when and zap maybe fortnightly if that.

There's basically no black dots at all now apart from the areas I struggle to get at. Overall, I'm very satifised with the leg result.

Bikini - Hmm... this is the stubburn area. I think I stopped doing it for a while because it was way over the 12 week mark and the results were staying the same. Then I started doing it weekly again because I'm a sucker for pain, I guess.

My hair growns back much slower but there are still black dots which appear mainly in the middle area of the pubic bone. They must be the thickest/strongest hairs because the rest of that area stays smooth for the most part.

Again, I don't let the hair grow for the week anymore and just shave it every other day to avoid being prickly.

I can get ingrown hairs now and again but nowhere as many as when I used to get waxed. They are also generally easy to remove too and I rarely have to dig them out.

Update -

Am now just past third treatment.

As above first one was on lowest setting, no change at all to growth / regrowth.

2nd treatment I went for 3/5 on the power scale. A little warmer each zap, but still not even close to being uncomfortable. No adverse skin reactions, even on delicite areas. No noticeable change to growth / regrowth.

3rd treatment I went for 4/5 on power scale. Warmer again than previous, still not painful or uncomfortable. no adverse skin reactions. Hair on testicles seems a little finer now, no bald patches of note yet. I am treating all hair below my chest down through entire pubic area.

Next session in 10 days

Update -

Just had 4th treatment on Saturday, wound power setting up to 5 out of 5. Quite warm and even a little sting on a few spots, but still nothing much more than a quick zap then ok (right at the bottom of my testicles and towards anus). I had a few spots where I obviously hadn't gotten to with the razor and after I had finished the IPL session there was a distinct smell of burned hair. It may have been this hair that caused a little bit of the sting / heat when I had my session but can't be sure.

Still no bald patches or signs of dead hair, but given pubic hair is thicker than other body hair and based on various web searches, seems to take longer to respond to IPL than other body parts, I'm not dis heartened.

Will keep up the schedule, next due in a few weeks and see from there.

I'd love to add to this. I'm currently testing the GetWetty IPL Epilator on my face, chest, and underarms. I'm hoping to see some progress before I start transitioning, so effectiveness will be mixed at that point. Anyway, I'm on my 4th week of treatment and I haven't really noticed too much of a difference yet, though my beard and chest hair follicles have some OOMPH to them, so it may take more time. I'm doing treatments weekly and shaving my face in between. My chest hair I'm letting grow before having to shave it before treatment. I did notice the model I have is an OEM, so what I see could probably be extrapolated to other models.

Update (albeit a week late)

5th treatment done nearly 2 weeks ago (so due another on Saturday), treatment done at 5 out of 5 again. Quite zappy this time, a few ouch moments but really only momentary zap, nothing ongoing.

Hair on testicles and down towards anus does seem to be thinning, more patchy than previously, but then again, its not an area easily inspected, I'm not that flexible anymore, but "by feel" does seem to stay smoother for longer after a shave.

For my pubic mound / lower stomach area, no real change yet, still growing back the same as previously, stubbly 2 days post shave. Upper stomach (above belly button) has always been sparse and remains so, unchanged I would guess.

So 2 treatments done at full power so far, will see how it goes