IUD and it's been a while!

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've been active here, but thought I'd pop by! I've been busy with a few family issues (grief and such) and UNI work has kept me busy.. But I am making my return!

Tomorrow I am getting the IUD. Finally! I've been debating it for over a year, but the horror stories put me off and set me into a world of 'nope'. But after more research, I've decided to just go for it. The cases of horrors are few and far between and what's the worst that could happen?

But.. I still have a few nerves rattling me about! SO if anyone has any tips for preparation, let me know! I haven't even had a smear or anything so this is the first time my hoo hah is to be inspected... What am I to expect, give me honesty! Should I take pills before hand? that kind of thing...

Hey it's nice to see you back!

Just pop two advils before you go and take 2 every 4-6h (as indicated on the label) for the rest of the day to prevent the pain. If you experience cramps you can try the things some women do to when they have bad period cramps, like using a "bouillotte" on your belly ( I didn't find any word in english for this, but its like a rubber bag in which you put hot water).

Now for the smear and the instalation (because yes they do a smear to make sure that they don't shove any preexisting bacterias up you uterus), just relax. I find it hurts a litle but it's more of a discomfort than a real pain. It just streches you a little, they put lube on it and everything so it shouldn't be that bad. If you are afraid, just say that you never experienced a speculum before and sometimes they can use a smaller one.

Don't be worried, everything is going to be just fine :)

When I got mine inserted, the nurse said that the pain depends on the anatomy of your uterus (if she has to pull on the cervix or not to get it in). So it might not hurt at all or it may hurt a bit, depending on your anatomy. I did experience pain, but the insertion is done fast. The pain afterwards is just like menstrual pain.

I would recommend you to take pills before you get it inserted. Didn't your nurse tell you which you should take?

Remember, the insertion takes just a couple of seconds and it will go easier if you are calm.

mamz wrote:

Just pop two advils before you go and take 2 every 4-6h (as indicated on the label) for the rest of the day to prevent the pain. If you experience cramps you can try the things some women do to when they have bad period cramps, like using a "bouillotte" on your belly ( I didn't find any word in english for this, but its like a rubber bag in which you put hot water).

Now for the smear and the instalation (because yes they do a smear to make sure that they don't shove any preexisting bacterias up you uterus), just relax. I find it hurts a litle but it's more of a discomfort than a real pain. It just streches you a little, they put lube on it and everything so it shouldn't be that bad. If you are afraid, just say that you never experienced a speculum before and sometimes they can use a smaller one.

hot water bottle!

No asprin based products

Ibuprophen is just great. 

Acetaminophen can also do the trick. I took tylenol because I bleed easily and was about to tart my period so didn't want to cause any unwanted bleeding and it was ok

Try not to worry too much .....the key thing is to be as relaxed as possible. Yes take a couple of painkillers before you go and you may have a bit of cramping afterwards but the procedure is very quick .
You're right not to believe all the horror stories ....I only had very minor discomfort for a couple of minutes when I had mine done ( and had several over the years)
I'm sure everything will go fine for you x

I had no problems with my first IUD. I took strong painkillers prior to fitting it, had a little cramping and spotting for a day but nothing more. I never had a period again.

The second one however I went into cervical shock. I was told it sometimes happens when doing a smear test, a removal and a fitting at once as its a lot of agitation. The most uncomfortable part was the clamping and measuring, I couldn't remember it from the first time so must be easy to forget the discomfort! Again I had cramping and spotting (cramps were worse this time) but it was worth it. Still no period.

Would I get it again in 5 years? ABSOLUTELY.

mamz wrote:

Good advice, the bouillotte is just a hot water bottle in english, I guess we couldn't find an interesting name! I have a good travel one too. I start a new job a few hours after my appointment, so I hope the pain subsides if I do experienc some. Thank you :)

Sxleksaker wrote:

When I got mine inserted, the nurse said that the pain depends on the anatomy of your uterus (if she has to pull on the cervix or not to get it in). So it might not hurt at all or it may hurt a bit, depending on your anatomy. I did experience pain, but the insertion is done fast. The pain afterwards is just like menstrual pain.

I would recommend you to take pills before you get it inserted. Didn't your nurse tell you which you should take?

Remember, the insertion takes just a couple of seconds and it will go easier if you are calm.

During my consultation, she said that Naproxen or Parecetamol but she didn't mention taking it before hand, but a lot of people have recommended it so I will try :)

wildflower wrote:

Try not to worry too much .....the key thing is to be as relaxed as possible. Yes take a couple of painkillers before you go and you may have a bit of cramping afterwards but the procedure is very quick .
You're right not to believe all the horror stories ....I only had very minor discomfort for a couple of minutes when I had mine done ( and had several over the years)
I'm sure everything will go fine for you x

It's just nice to see what others have to say sometimes, as a little bit of comfort before my own experience! My grandmother isn't too keen on the thought of it and has been putting a little doubt into my mind. Though I am sure contraception is much more advanced than what it was so I have tried to ease her mind as well as my own. She thinks all kinds of things like my womb falling away and other silly worries haha!

RosyCheek wrote:

I had no problems with my first IUD. I took strong painkillers prior to fitting it, had a little cramping and spotting for a day but nothing more. I never had a period again.

The second one however I went into cervical shock. I was told it sometimes happens when doing a smear test, a removal and a fitting at once as its a lot of agitation. The most uncomfortable part was the clamping and measuring, I couldn't remember it from the first time so must be easy to forget the discomfort! Again I had cramping and spotting (cramps were worse this time) but it was worth it. Still no period.

Would I get it again in 5 years? ABSOLUTELY.

I haven't had a period in 3 years as I'm on depo, but my cramps used to be pretty bad so I think if I can handle a cramp I can handle this. I think i'm more concerned about my 'dignity' but all should be well!

I am like that, I'm private person even after having my babies I still want a little dignity. I wore a knee length dress so I was comfortable covered. The paper was laid over too so I felt comfortable. Even having her face right in my lady bits didn't matter as all I saw was a full dress to my knees, paper cover and her ponytail! 😊

Girls, It's a gynecologist, I mean they see vaginas all day and couldn't care less. Nobody is gonna judge you there trust me. People don't know just how doctors don,t care about seeing vaginas or anuses or herpes or blood or anythings like that. They see it all the time and are so used to it. Trust me.

I am having my IUD fitted on Monday, I have not even started to Google it or look at the pocedure, I am far to worried about it! I could care less about someone looking at my foof, more worried about it hurting :p x

Hope your IUD fitting goes/has gone well. I'm seriously considering it as an option so I'd love to hear your experiences.

I have had 2, the mirena. I recommend taking the pain pills before hand just in case you have some discomfort. I spotted a while after my first one was inserted, so be prepared for that and have a mini pad or something with you.

Saying relax is kinda funny. It is noth the most easy thing in the world to do... but breathe. Picture your favorite beach or what not and just breathe through it and you will be fine.

RosyCheek wrote:

I am like that, I'm private person even after having my babies I still want a little dignity. I wore a knee length dress so I was comfortable covered. The paper was laid over too so I felt comfortable. Even having her face right in my lady bits didn't matter as all I saw was a full dress to my knees, paper cover and her ponytail! 😊

I did the silly thing of wearing tight jeans ha

MissNaughty93 wrote:

I am having my IUD fitted on Monday, I have not even started to Google it or look at the pocedure, I am far to worried about it! I could care less about someone looking at my foof, more worried about it hurting :p x

The procedure was alright actually, the nurses were very kind and as gentle as they could, trying to distract me with conversation! It obviously hurt, so I winced a little. But it was over within minutes. The cramps afterwards were pretty bad for me personally, like a very very bad period pain. ut it may have seemed worse for me for not having any cramps for years! It died down after a few hours :)

Friday13 wrote:

Hope your IUD fitting goes/has gone well. I'm seriously considering it as an option so I'd love to hear your experiences.

It went well, nurses were lovely and very calming during the whole thing. The pain for me at the time was uncomfortable, but it only takes a few minutes and will vary! It to me just felt like a tight pinch/period pain in the cervix but it was over before I knew it! The pain afterwards was what bothered me most, the cramping lasted a few hours and wasn't the most comfortable! But once you get past that after a while, everything returns to normal with the small little ache here and there like a normal cramp! I bled a tiny bit, so wore a towel most of the day but today I haven't bled at all!