I ordered a new power chair in February and I had to wait 6 months for it

Back in November we decided to look for a new power chair since my older ones are a 2015 and a 2012 model so it was time for an upgrade. I wanted one ready for March/April ready for the new 22 registration plate and in time for summer.

Ive always gone for the best rear wheel drive chair that I could find but finding one with speed, distance and overall looks was hard to come by.

In Mid January I tested one which turned out to be useless, but the same manufacturer had another model which I loved strait away.

I knew instantly on the test drive that this is the one so I put in my order 10 minutes later in mid February, he said it had a lead time of 7-10 weeks which put it around the end of April.

This morning we had a phone call saying due to the chip shortage the time has been push back to mid to late May.

On the bright side at least im not ordering a car which can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months.

6 Likes

I ordered a car built to my specifications 3 years ago first week of January, and got it mid-March, so i understand. On the plus side you will get exactly what you want, and it will be worth the wait. Yes, you’re right, i was told in January that if i wanted to change it to a similar new one, i would have to wait until June, because of the microchip shortage ( i am not changing it!)

1 Like

@David1986H that’s not so good but hopefully worth the wait and in time for the better weather

1 Like

Same with my dad, he ordered an Audi with space for my chair if needed back in November 2019 just before everything kicked off with covid, I think it was June as well before he could pick it up.

1 Like

This is the one, I love the red accents, and having RS in the name reminds me of an Audi RS lol

image removed as outside of photos category

1 Like

Looks fab, love the red!

1 Like

Ahh sometimes good quality things can take time to manufacture and arrive so guess it’s better to take time than rush it.

its been made in Germany so hopefully it doesn’t get even more delayed with what’s going on atm

2 Likes

Eek! Customs are sure to cause a short hold up

My wife has a TDX SP2 as a daily and has held up pretty well, also a highly modified quickie F55 all the way from 1999! More of an adventure/backup chair

1 Like

I do about 4000 road miles every year and me personally don’t feel comfortable with a mid wheel drive and having small castor wheels at the front as their the first to go over curbs, pot holes etc.

The chair im getting is the iChair MC2 RS, with 10" front wheels and 15" drives its going to handle pretty much anything.

1 Like

Just wanted to update this topic just as a log of how many push backs my new chair has had also if any of you are interested.

So about a month ago I received a phone call saying my chair has been pushed back from late May to mid June, so 2/3 weeks longer, wasn’t too bad. Today (17th June) had another phone call saying it has been pushed back again to mid July.

The place where I brought the chair from are not happy including myself and they are going to have a go at the manufacture in Germany and complain to them as to why it’s keeps getting pushed back as it was in mid February when I ordered it.

At this point summer will be over by time I get it if it arrives at all.

1 Like

My local car dealership tried to persuade me to buy a new car in February, they told me that if i ordered then, it would be ready for July! They told me it was a worldwide shortage of computer chips due to Covid, that is making things take so long. My last new car was built to my specifications and took 7 weeks from order to delivery.
I feel your pain!

1 Like

For people who can’t get about without a wheelchair, 5 months + of waiting will feel like a life time. I completely understand the chip shortage and everything else has caused chaos.

At least I have 2 other chairs to use in the mean time, still hella frustrating though.

2 Likes

@David1986H as @WillC says the global chip shortage has been a nightmare.
Also a lot of wiring/vehicle electrical looms are make in the Ukrainian, that maybe part of the delay?

1 Like

Yeah I heard that a couple months ago. Maybe, who knows.

The manufacturer isn’t really giving much details as to why, that’s why the dealership is going to have a go at them lol.

Yeah, the dealers are not happy cos it’s costing them sales!

2 Likes

I’m paying for it on monthly finance. I’ve paid around 8 out of 12 payments. More fool me lol

1 Like

You nearly own it!

1 Like

That’s ridiculous David :disappointed_relieved: no wonder you ain’t a happy chappy

1 Like