Jelly dildos!

Ruby Red Slippers wrote:

Ink and Kink wrote:

Spoonerism wrote:

Just gonna leave this link here and suggest everyone reads it. http://dangerouslilly.com/toxictoys/

Just gonna jump on board the nope bus on my trip to nopeville. Thou shalt not buy jelly dildos.

May I also board the nope bus to Nopeville? I've only tried one jelly toy back in the days when I bought the occassional thing from a shop that may sound like Man Bummers and didn't know anything about sex toy safety. Since then I'll only buy pure silicone, glass or stainless steel insertable toys and ABS plastic for external use. Treat yourself to something better!

You can jump on the bus. A few more spaces. Man bummers. Omfg I'm laughing so hard!

Must admit this thread has scared me im not sure I should use my new vib :(

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33265

Surely if their was safely concerns lovehoney woukd fore warn u to perphaps use a condom or something!?

Why would Lovehoney sell toys containing dangerous stuff and phtlalates? (or however it's spelt)

sassykitten I think Spoonerism is more than likely your best bet for asking. She's very knowledgeable from what I know!

Oh and Ink if you still wanted a new dildo, this silicone one's reduced to £10 http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=25156

I saw! But it doesn't really take my fancy I got this one the other day when it was first reduced. Haven't tried it yet!

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=22769

The stuff sold here IS body safe as it doesn't contain phthalates (to the best of their knowledge). Lovehoney endeavour not to stock all the nasty chemical laden crap you see available for sale. But some of the toys here are still porous. They are two separate issues often lumped together as one. As a general rule, the chemical laden toys ARE dangerous and not body safe (this has been scientifically proven) but the debate on whether you can safely use porous toys or not is still (to my knowledge) unproven in any actual studies. Even the link above states some porous toys, like Fleshlight, are totally safe. Thus, all the toys available on Lovehoney are technically speaking body safe, even though some are porous and believed to be unsafe by some people. Whew, hope that mouthful makes sense!

Lovebirds_x wrote:

The stuff sold here IS body safe as it doesn't contain phthalates (to the best of their knowledge). Lovehoney endeavour not to stock all the nasty chemical laden crap you see available for sale. But some of the toys here are still porous. They are two separate issues often lumped together as one. As a general rule, the chemical laden toys ARE dangerous and not body safe (this has been scientifically proven) but the debate on whether you can safely use porous toys or not is still (to my knowledge) unproven in any actual studies. Even the link above states some porous toys, like Fleshlight, are totally safe. Thus, all the toys available on Lovehoney are technically speaking body safe, even though some are porous and believed to be unsafe by some people. Whew, hope that mouthful makes sense!

Makes great sense! And is fab to know! But I wouldn't wanna risk it I don't think!

Lovebirds_x wrote:

The link sassykitten posted above it says it does contain phthalates, unless thats a typo?

Cant say ive seen it on other toys as i tend to avoid jelly, but i wouldnt be surprised if a few more of the jelly rubber ones were the same.

i dont have a link, but on twitter the other day there was a link to a study about sti transmission and sex toys. I think the one they were working with was hpv, and they found that after use, hpv was present in swabs taken from sex toys, but after they were thouroughly washed with soap, water and sex toy cleaner, and then dried they were reswabbed. All the pure silicone ones were clear, but around 73% of the jelly toys still had a positive reading for hpv, meaning that they werent properly clean.

I think thats why people steer clear of jelly, even though if you are just using it yourself, knowing that its never really "clean" is off putting. Especially how we know how fast bacteria can breed and what conditions they like!

Eta a quick search of "jelly vibe" im already at 7 that contain phthalates, including one lovehoney branded one, and im not even finished page 2 yet!

Aplogies JM88, I thought they didn't stock anything with phthalates. Welp, I no longer have much faith in the constant assurances given of 'we'll only stock body safe toys here'! :/

Although interestingly, from reading a few (admitedly old and out of date) articles on the blog, Lovehoney seem to follow the school of thought that all this nonsense about phthalates is scare mongering and untrue. Hmm. Perhaps they know something we don't!