Keeping fit

as most of the country has been in lock down or you have been furloed what have you done to keep fit and maintain your mental health

4 Likes

With working from home I have been going for walks after work to unwind. Just need to get out the house for an hour or so

1 Like

This is a huge thing for me having struggled with my weight for most of my life. I’m a road cycling freak. Lockdown has actually helped provide more time for this now I’m not commuting. I tend to do 100-200km on the road each week. The time on the road not only helps cardio fitness and leg tone but is a huge positive for my mental health allowing me time to get perspective on things and reset.
On top of this ill do an extra couple of hours on zwift which may increase as the weather worsens.
I also add in a couple of weights sessions and/or a session from insanity workout as cycling doesn’t do much for my upper body.
Mrs B runs a few times a week - something I used to do but really don’t enjoy…

4 Likes

I’ve worked all the way through lock down so have kept up my fitness level, but we still try to get out on the bikes :bike: too.

3 Likes

I have a fair amount of pets, so spending extra time with my fur babies kept me happy.

Being a wheelchair user and being told to isolate for over 13 weeks didn’t do my weight any favours, not being able to get out and push myself on walks I gained just over a stone.

I’m working on loosing it now though, my partner didn’t seem to notice I gained, unless he was being nice and didn’t say anything :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I love road cycling. I especially like the feeling of just following so country roads and seeing where they take me. Great for my mind

3 Likes

I’ve worked all the way through lockdown. I have taken up jogging/running though. Im not very good at it but enjoy it. I also cycle and swim

3 Likes

I normally swim too - have done triathlons when a feeling especially fit. I absolutely love swimming for similar escapism to road cycling. I’ve not been amble to swim recently as all of our local pools and even the open water swimming venues have been closed. I had entered swim serpentine this month which sadly was also cancelled (along with ride London and numerous other sportives I had on the calendar :man_facepalming:t2:)

1 Like

I had entered London marathon London land marks half and Cardiff half all been cancelled

I worked through lockdown, and all my hobbies are sedentary, so i treat work as paid exercise, and walk the dog a lot, plus i do a lot of the household chores.

3 Likes

Had you done much marathon training? I did the London marathon 3 years ago and whilst the event it’s self was a great day out it was the first (and possibly only) time I’ve ran a marathon and the train seemed to go on forever! My plan was for ride London and swim serpentine this year so I could get the London classics gong!

1 Like

My local gym has opened up the pools so all I have to do is book which is good. I always said I wanted to do a triathlon but hated running. Maybe if my running gets better it will be something to try.

1 Like

It’s a great experience. Running is my weaker discipline too. Swimming my strongest. In my first event I smashed the swim, held my position on the bike and got overtaken by basically everyone during the run… was still a great day out though. It’s well worth finding a group to run with - especially a club who can help with pacing and building speed

4 Likes

We do a couple of hours walking with the dogs each day and have added toning and muscle building exercises. The social isolation and disengagement from the madness has been very good for my mental health. :smile_cat:

1 Like

The app Zombie run! 5k training is awesome.

Couch to 5k but with zombies :smirk:

1 Like

Hi I run classes from c25k

Completely agree with the improvement of mental health in lockdown. It’s the first time probably since my teens that I’ve felt like I’ve had the time to pause, reflect and breath. I work in a high pressure environment and simply being away from the office chatter has done me the world of good. In fact I’m possibly one of the few people who was rather unimpressed with relaxation of restrictions. I love the lack of pressure at weekends to have to do something.

2 Likes

Downloading now…!

Dancing like a clown in my kitchen helped me keep fit, but I did that before lock down anyway - I just did it more. Learning new moves/tricks keeps me interested and is good for mental health.

Sometimes though, I felt like I had too much time to myself and ran out of things to do. Often I would just sleep or watch movies. Right before I came off furlough, it was definitely starting to get to me :persevere:

3 Likes

Started off running at first, never been a strong runner but got quite good at it, furthest I did was just under 13 mile which I never thought I’d be able or want to do, after I got bored of running I started doing a fitness dvd 25mins 5 days a week and as of yesterday I’m back to going to the gym

4 Likes