Kegel exercise balls for a beginner?

I've never used them before so want to start out small so need some suggestions of which would be appropriate for me.

I bought my first pair and they were quite large.. It was slightly uncomfortable to put in but once they WERE in, I didn't even notice them and forgot about them for a few hours! I don't really see the point in them to be honest, but that's a personal opinion

x

If you're new to it, you're actually better going for something slightly larger (in diameter), as they're easier to hold in. The biggest you'd get will tend to be around 1.5 max, which is barely more than the width of two fingers, so shouldn't pose problems for most. Length is the only place where bigger isn't always better: to start with, a single ball is most ideal, as again it's lighter and can sit higher up, and so requires less muscle-action to hold in. Even if you think you have better than average tone, the first tiem you use them you'll be pretty much guaranteed to believe it's about to plop out, so making sure that that's an impossibility can really help until you're more confident. If you do have to go with a dual-ball piece, check the length - shorter is easier to keep higher and more comfortable with less effort - and weight - lighter is easier to hold for longer - and don't feel tempted to 'upgrade' before you're happy.

Personally, I'm totally in love with this set: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=20747
It's a little more expensive, but it does have a good spread, allowing you to progress as and when you feel comfortable. If you see my review on it, I even mentioned that I'll still go down a step when I've been slacking, or feeling tender, or just anticipate wearing it for longer than would be comfortable with a heavier/smaller option.

Unfortunately, there's none of the current cheap versions I've tried myself, but something like http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=232 could be good if you're hoping to avoid shelling out real money. They're not favourites because with the nylon string and dimples they'd be hard to keep perfectly clean and so won't last a long time (they're similar to a pair I had starting out, they lasted about six months or so before they started getting grotty and I chucked them). But they'll give you an idea of how big a leap in size (down) and weight (up) you should be able to manage and base a decision around that.

i got some just the other day, but i put them in, not too much lube, after a few minutes just just fall out, am i doing somthing wrong. I had a baby 18 months ago so i must be very lose down there. is there anything i can do to help?

00cat wrote:

i got some just the other day, but i put them in, not too much lube, after a few minutes just just fall out, am i doing somthing wrong. I had a baby 18 months ago so i must be very lose down there. is there anything i can do to help?

Look online for Pelvic Floor Excersises.. Start by doing these and build your muscles up first, before tryinjg to use the balls.. If you haven't done any since having your baby then I would say yes that may be why they are falling out. Also, just double check you have put them in as far as you can and if they still fall out then the excersises really do work a treat. Also sex helps build up your pelvic floor :)

x

My wife has, for the last few weeks, been using an electric pelvic floor toner (the iTouch Sure to be precise) and there is no doubt it has worked really well - I'm in heaven 8-)=

They are a somewhat expensive option but for those who find other methods difficult we think they are well worth the expense.

I bought these first: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=15188 because they had very good reviews and weren't that expensive, but I actually didn't even open the box, because LH spoiled me and gave me vip code and a discount and I decided to buy these: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=23123

I am going to receive them tomorrow. My problem is actually a bit strange. I had a vaginal birth 10 months ago and had some stitches afterwards and I became even too tight, tighter than I was before. However something inside doesn't feel right, I have the feeling that everything is a bit prolapsed. So I hope they would help me a bit into returning my shape from before. Now I feel uncomfortable in my own body.

I never heard of kegel exercise balls until quite recently. Does using them have any effect on giving birth? Like does it make it easier because you have greater control and strength? or harder because your muscles are tighter and they need to stretch? Also do they help with incontinence issues?

AliMc wrote:

I never heard of kegel exercise balls until quite recently. Does using them have any effect on giving birth? Like does it make it easier because you have greater control and strength? or harder because your muscles are tighter and they need to stretch? Also do they help with incontinence issues?

General idea is that yes, they help with both birthing and continence, as well as sexual junk. The pelvic floor muscles are the same as any other muscle: the more you exercise it, the stronger and more pliable it'll be. If you think about your arm, if you do a lot of bicep-focused exercises and get noticeably muscular there, you don't lose the ability to straighten your arm (relax the muscle), but you have much more control and strength in tightening it. So in theory it doesn't affect how loose it can be, just how tight it can be. Also, it's not purely strength you're working on, it's tone, too. This essentially is the same as keeping the muscle warmed up: it can be stretched further without breaking, hurting, or otherwise seizing up, and will return back to its 'rest' state much easier than if it were forced to that point. most midwives - if not all - will make a seriously big deal about pushing you to do your pelvic floor exercises, because it not only makes the vagina more supple - and thus less likely to tear during stretching - but it improves control over all things in the area, including controlling urination, which can be damaged by the muscle weakening caused by the stretching. It's much better as a preventative than a cure, but assuming the incontinence issues are relatively mild, and the woman is happy to really put some effort in, it can definitely help there, too.

00cat wrote:

As Lady.Gasm.X says, try making sure you're doing the ball-less exercises to improve the tone anyway. My midwife used to tell us to tense like we're trying to stop mid-pee, and concentrate on not interrupting regular breathing, then hold for ten seconds and relax over five, and do three reps of that every time you pass a 'landmark' such as the kitchen sink or the middle step on the stairs. Also, for the balls you were using, it might help adding more lube to see if you can push them up further; don't make it uncomfortable, but you want to be able to let the entrance to the vagina close around the string rather than have a ball already prying it open. And check that you've not gone for something too heavy or small. Try not to psych yourself out about being "too loose" as well, if you're not having incontinence issues then your muscles are strong enough to pass muster, it's just improving on them rather than fixing them (and even if you were, the difference between "too loose" and "fine" is pretty slim, and easily attained if you get into the habit of regular workouts).

I have a really dumb question - should I feel them while wearing or not? I just tried the lowest possible weight from this set: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=23123 but I don't feel it, even if I try to tighten myself.

Should I try putting a different weight?