Lingerie repairs

I know there are a few of you who are handy with a sewing machine… I need to repair my favourite body because one of the stitches snapped last night. It was the first time I’ve properly worn it because I was saving it for Christmas (I didn’t quite make it!) I’d tried it on a couple of times and it was fine but it ripped when I tried to put it on yesterday. I’m very sad. :pensive: It’s the emerald green moonflower body and they don’t sell it anymore hence needing to mend mine!

The thread that has snapped is a green elasticated thread. Does anyone know where I can get green elastic thread? I’ve looked online and there are so many options I’ve got confused and frustrated so I thought I’d ask someone more knowledgeable than me! I’ve taken a photo of the damage but obviously it won’t be approved until tomorrow morning. I’ll put a link in here when it’s approved.

I’m assuming that I need to use an elastic thread otherwise a normal thread would just snap when I try to squeeze into it again. Any tips much appreciated x

Link to photos here

1 Like

Oh no! I hate it when that happens!

If it’s the thread stitched over the top of elastic banding/trim, you can normally stretch the elastic a little, while holding the garment fabric against it, and do a zigzag stitch to reconnect them. You can use normal thread/cotton. When the elastic contracts the zigzags get closer, but when you stretch the elastic they’ll be further apart.

EDIT: if you Google “zigzag stitch by hand” a few tutorials come up :+1:

2 Likes

It’s really hard to explain but it’s the stitching that holds the cups together - the very middle of the plunge neckline. Basically it’s now gaping at the top where the join has come apart. Hopefully the pictures will make more sense in the morning!

If it gets too complicated, you could take it to an alterations shop to see if they can put it back together for you :thinking: I’ve done a lot of sewing, but I’m not very confident when it comes to lingerie! I was prepared to alter a teddy I ordered if it didn’t fit because I really liked it, but it fit, so I didn’t have to! The only LH item I’ve “repaired” was this wand storage bag :joy: Like @Baby_Jane said, you can google different stitches or do a search on YouTube to find a good video tutorial like these, How to Sew with Elastic Thread on a Sewing Machine and Zigzag Stitch for Sewing Elastic. Hope you can salvage it :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

I wish I had the confidence to take it to an alterations shop @PKH! They would do a much better job than me. I’d be a bit embarrassed I think! I think it is just a case of a few stitches to bring the 2 sides back together in the middle. I’ll have a look on YouTube for sewing with elastic thread though, never thought of that :woman_facepalming:

Link now added to the photos!

2 Likes

I would just give that one a few hand stitches with some cotton thread. But i am not the most skilled sewer in the entire world.
Pin in place where you want it before sewing it up, made that mistake before

1 Like

You think I could just use normal thread? I wasn’t sure if it would snap? I guess it’s worth a try, the worst that could happen is that it snaps again and then I can try something else. Not much point buying elastic thread if cotton would do the job.

1 Like

If its snapped, it obviously needs a bit of reenforcing. You could use something else like silk or nylon if cotton doesnt suit the material.
Finding a good colourmatch is usually the trick.

I tend to take things into our local sewing shop if im trying to colourmatch thread. Easier to see in daylight.

1 Like

@Kitty-Cat01 just looked at the pic. Does that thread need to be there? Or can you just snip and knot it?

1 Like

I don’t think it needs to be there, I’m not sure how the front would look but probably just a deeper plunge. I’d have to remove the heart from the front which is a shame but I can live without it! I’ll try stitching it together 1st but if that doesn’t work I could try cutting it.

2 Likes

Maybe snip and see how it looks and go from there.
I’d be happy to repair if I was a “real life friend” not just a forum random :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks :blush: Shame! I would have taken you up on that offer :grin:

1 Like

I’m not sure what it looked like originally but, going on the loop of thread between both cups, I would say that a few overlapping stitches at one main anchor point would be fine;

• hand stitch
  • normal thread (black)
  • go in-and-out at the same place (or very close by) a few times to reinforce
  • go all the way through the elastic trim and lace fabric (the elastic is your main anchor, but you want to keep the lace connected to it)
  • you may need a thimble to help push the needle through if the trim/fabric is tough (or you can push again a coaster/hard surface)

If I’ve misinterpreted and the middle space between the cups needs to be adjustable, I think I’d be tempted to stitch a short length of ribbon to each cup’s elastic trim so that you could tie them in a bow. 6mm and 10mm are very common - it looks like 10mm would be good here (price point: I normally buy 10mm double-sided satin ribbon in a 23MTR spool on eBay for about £3). Hem/roll-over the ribbon on the end you sew through so that it doesn’t fray and tear off.

Don’t worry about not being too neat; black is very forgiving and the lace front will help disguise the stitches. And if you go for the bow option, the loops might cover them.

Good luck :wink:

EDIT: I’ve just relooked at the pic and see narrow straps close-by so maybe 6mm ribbon would be better for the aesthetics. 10mm will give you a bigger area to stitch. It depends on what you think you can get away with; if there are wider straps/ties elsewhere, a 10mm ribbon might look like it’s supposed to be there.

1 Like