Lockdown book club

Has anybody read a really good book recently? It can be from any genre, I absolutely love reading but am so uninspired at the moment so open to any and all suggestions!

Something to occupy my time when OH needs a break :wink:

Fab idea! The Time Traveller’s Guide books are good, especially Medieval England, basically they’re like tourist guide books but make history interesting and funny. Red Dragon by Thomas Harris is a favourite I first read in the 80’s much better than the Hannibal Lecter films.
Short story collections by Stephen King or Ray Bradbury are good for dipping in and out of.
Also if you’re into true crime, Happy Like Murderers by Gordon Burn is good. It’s the Fred and Rose West story, but is more revealing and shocking than what was revealed in the media. Some bits i had to read twice, they were so unbelievably depraved.

1 Like

There are lots of suggestions in Last book you read/reading. :+1:

1 Like

I like reading also. Reading nineteen eighty four at the minute. Struggling through 1914-1818 and a book on fishing stories. Got a vietnam war book and a Auschwitz book to read also.

4 Likes

I’m reading ‘Garden of Eden’. Hemingway goes transgender - unsurprisingly, he didn’t have it published while he was still alive

1 Like

I finished a book the other day ‘Glasgow Kiss’ was so good with twists! It’s based in Glasgow about a schoolgirl going missing and revelations come out, written in Glasgow language too which was a nice touch, felt like I was home reading it!

Have Philomena to read next, was highly recommended to me!

1 Like

Oh @MissNoir if you like glasgow books I suggest Daisychain GJ Moffat - crime thriller type book all glasgow based I couldn’t put it down. I’m a right :open_book: :bug:

2 Likes

@GlasgowGal Ohhhh I’ll get a copy of it! I do love my Glasgow thrillers, it’s all I have just now seeing I can’t get down to Glasgow with lockdown, trying to move back to the city centre! Always love when a book references streets that I lived on and go ‘awww imagine if that happened!!’

1 Like

Then you’ll definitely like this @MissNoir it’s the first of a series but the other names escape me. I loved it because its easier to picture the places because you know them.

If you like horror then Flesh by Richard Laymon is great and also Body Rides by the same author.

1 Like

I was recommended a book recently which I bought on Amazon. It’s called Three by Beth Cameron and it’s about a girl’s homeward journey to Edinburgh after being stuck in Paris by the ash cloud from the 2010 volcanic eruption. That story is entwined with a lady who is about to turn 100 in England, neither knowing that they’re linked.

I really enjoyed it and I’m reading it again. Excellent reviews on Amazon. I’d recommend it.

2 Likes

Have ordered that book @WillC love finding out what triggers these people. It’s on it’s way.

1 Like

Trust me it’s shocking, they were both depraved before they even met. You’ll have to give me your opinion when you’ve read it.

1 Like

Suzuki manuals?

I’ve just finished reading A Discovery of Witches for the second time. I really enjoyed it, there is a lot of science/history in it too!

3 Likes

I’m a stalwart SciFi fan, so I’m afraid all my recommendations will be in that field.

1. Eon - Greg Bear
  2. Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
  3. Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
  4. Neuromancer - William Gibson
  5. Ringworld - Larry Niven
4 Likes

I’ve been reading the Witcher series of books. I played some of the video games, but now going back to the books and on book 3 now and loving it. Not seen the Netflix show yet though.

2 Likes

Not read books or played the games, but i loved the series. The main female character actress is from my home city!

1 Like

Cool :slight_smile: I’ve heard it’s great. The games were amazing but they take place after the books and aren’t seen as canon to the story of the author. I think the show follows the books if I’m right.

1 Like

I have no idea, but the local actress is stunning…eventually!