London Riots

I've heard riots have reached here in the midlands and I didn't think it would... I think this is just an excuse for vile people to act upon their criminal intents. If they really wished to protest on behalf of that killed guy then why attack other innocents and potentially kill them? Calls have been made to other people around here to be cautious.

We live in a crazy world.

I really hope no one gets hurt in this mayhem. :(

I decided to give up and go to bed. I am not sure I want to hear about this anymore.

Laveila wrote:

I decided to give up and go to bed. I am not sure I want to hear about this anymore.

I'm sorry if the thread has upset you lovely :(

That wasn't my intention - I just thought updates would be handy because the news is slow and it means people can check on their family if they're close to disturbances.

Adx

Never heard so many sirens go of in the night. feel sorry for the police tbh. Just uter utter madness

Lucky you. I know what you mean its been 3 days and doesnt look like its dying down anytime soon

Glad I found this thread.

From what Iget the bloke the police shot had a gun and shot an officer first so first things first he's broken the law (this is NOT america - we have rules about them!) and shot someone so if the police had to shoot back they did as last resort and obviously his family would say he didnt have a gun.(NB his family are condone-ing the looting/arson, saying ho its not at all helping)

Its mental - if these sfb's had a brain cell between them (and wernt rebels without a bloody clue) then instead of taking their supposed hatred of the police out on everyone else they'd just direct it at those they hate - like police stations and law courts, and banks maybe - not blatanly go break in to business and nick stuff!! O and then set fire to the buildings (some of which look like they were once gorgeous Victorian/Edwardian, buildings with soul). Correct me if I'm wrong but thats not anti-capitalism, not nicking the goods! Leave them in buildings surely? I think these sfb's need to go to school and learn then they'll have a clue what they're protesting about.

Do they really think (not at all ever by looks of things) that us, the people of our country are guna get behind them and support them?!

If I prayed I would pray no1 gets injured or dies,inc firemen and the police, esp those who are losing their homes to the insane infernos going on.

Seriously hoping nothing kicks off down here, lotsa bored and daft as kids that I hope to fuck aren't thinking of copy cat attacks here because they'll be hell to pay.

Some 27yr old has gunshot wounds found in croydon in a car, unknown if related to all this shit. Bit of a coincidence, or handy time to shoot someone and get away with it?! The man is in intensive care, 2 other men in late 20's arrested.

Can't see it spreading to the west country (where i got family) BUT you never know - what with all the 'free cornwall' anarchists down that way, unles they're too busy surfing and toking!!!

It's not only all this shit happening now but those it'll effect long term - obviously those who've lost/losing their homes and livelihoods but the knock on effect. Businesses razed to the ground, those that worked there, their families (money probs, u know rent, bills etc - sorry i know you're not all thick and I wasnt implying it ) and the suppliers and their employees and their families and maintenance businesses etc etc list is never ending. O and all the insurance claims etc which'll take forever to resolve. Jeezus...............

It is TOTALLY AND UTTERLY DISGUSTING - and OMG it's the Olympics next year!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck a duck.

*ANGRY FACE* and *CONCERNED FACE* (for all of you stuck in it)

And, one last thing, these extra coppers being drafted in, are coming from other areas across the country (I thot rural but not so sure now) - which is worrying. Maybe the g'ment will revise their idea of cutting back the police force now?

I have cousins in London, will phone my aunty tomor see how they are.

*!* Lavalia, I have a small van and am aboiut an hr (ish) from london, maybe longer as I'd have to go up and round. Seriously, (email addy on profile), TAKE CARE AND IF YOU NEED TO GET OUT THEN GO!

D69x

I feel physically sick about the whole situation. I have quite a few friends who live in London. I was watching the footage last night and I spoke to my friend. She got her house smashed and she had to escape because a building was on fire 2 doors down.

I'm suppose to go down on friday but not sure whether it will have died down by then. I wonder if/when the tranquility will come back.

Last night was the first time ever that I have felt physically unsafe. I live near Croydon and work in Brixton. I spent last night listening to the sirens and staying in contact with friends who could see the trouble ouside their window.

The atmosphere is horrible - so much tension and fear. I'm quite a tough cookie but this is just unimaginable.

Honeytongue wrote:

Last night was the first time ever that I have felt physically unsafe. I live near Croydon and work in Brixton. I spent last night listening to the sirens and staying in contact with friends who could see the trouble ouside their window.

The atmosphere is horrible - so much tension and fear. I'm quite a tough cookie but this is just unimaginable.

HT I hope your all ok hunni, I actually thought of you when I saw the riots had spread, knowing you were in London but not quite sure where. Keep safe xxx

boobaloo wrote:

Honeytongue wrote:

HT I hope your all ok hunni, I actually thought of you when I saw the riots had spread, knowing you were in London but not quite sure where. Keep safe xxx

Thanks boobaloo. We are ok, but it's not a nice feeling having this going on. Everyone feels so unsettled - but it does make me realise what a good network of friends I have as we are all keeping in touch with each other and checking everyone is ok.

HOPE NOONE LOSES THEIR LIVES,but this was going to happen soon things are getting so shite people will begin to RIOT

Divine69 wrote:

Glad I found this thread.

From what Iget the bloke the police shot had a gun and shot an officer first so first things first he's broken the law (this is NOT america - we have rules about them!) and shot someone so if the police had to shoot back they did as last resort and obviously his family would say he didnt have a gun.(NB his family are condone-ing the looting/arson, saying ho its not at all helping)

This is almost exactly the discussion my dad and I had, police in the UK do not carry guns and for armed police to be deployed there must have been a massive threat to themself and the public and it would not have been a decision taken lightly. It it thuggery, pure and simple, I bet the majority are not interested in the protest the family started and are only interested in the damadge they can cause. They should bring the army into help as it looks like the police need it as they are being spread far too thin.

My parents are somewhere near Manchester on an bus tour holiday and should be in the city on thursday so Im interested to keep tabs on whats happening there.

*hugs* to anyone affected by the riots.

My uncle stays in London but is in hospital in Glasgow just now, the Doctors were talking about transfering him home to London but I guess that will be put on hold for now.

Alicia D'amore wrote:

Laveila wrote:

I'm sorry if the thread has upset you lovely :(

That wasn't my intention - I just thought updates would be handy because the news is slow and it means people can check on their family if they're close to disturbances.

Adx

Was not this threat, but BBC live news. my partner told me last night to get my bottom out of London, if I can ask my friend to stay with her so I can still get to Kings Cross fast.

AA: he may be a bit closer. but some of it basically happened 10 min walk from us. I am still hoping that the fact this is residential area and there is the Tottenham Cemetery across the main road will stop people from starting something here, but thats naive.

SnL wrote:

I feel physically sick about the whole situation. I have quite a few friends who live in London. I was watching the footage last night and I spoke to my friend. She got her house smashed and she had to escape because a building was on fire 2 doors down.

I'm suppose to go down on friday but not sure whether it will have died down by then. I wonder if/when the tranquility will come back.

Keep safe. As much as possible.

To be honest, something needs to be done and I do think even getting army in trying to stop this may be needed. Because the few police men would never work. if I could I would be booking coach to Prague now,but I have to stay because of my dissertation. This is gotten out of control. More London parts and other cities will be flame. I think most of the country is dreading the night.

*hugs* and stay safe to all affected. Hope you're keeping well away from this appalling situation. I live just outside Oldham so I'm half expecting it to kick off around here soon.

Keep safe Laveila.

I can't understand the mentatlity (or lack thereof) of these scumbags. I won't call them animals because animals wouldn't behave in such a self destructive and mindless manner. There is never a reason for such behaviour.

With regards to Mark Duggan as the saying goes "live by the sword, die by the sword". IF he and other of his ilk, are the thugs they're portrayed as being (he's been on remand etc, etc) then they need to understand they risk their lives. There is no excuse for carrying guns and other weapons.

Do these mindless, rioting morons not realise that they are harming their own community? That they are damaging any credibility and legitimacy to cry foul with regards to Police action? The Duggan case is not the reason for rioting, all it is is an excuse for the lowest in the genepool to get their kicks by harming others. The only problem is that it's this kind of lowlife that seems to be breeding out of all control and we'll soon be overrun by these knuckle draggers!

I am in Holloway and i was on the Holloway road looking for a supermarket (as my supermarket shop that was due to be delivered last night was cancelled!) and it was a ghost town with all shops shut...scary. I was told they were expecting the rioting to come down to my area. Thankfully it didnt happen but god knows what will happen over the next few days.

I am due to go to the England Holland friendly in Wembley tomorrow night as well (gulp)

It´s anarchy and greed and a total disrespect of the law. Are you really surprised this is happening with such a lax government that you just know will be unable to implement any kind of punishment. Why aren´t the army being sent in? It´s a joke, the government MUST get tough or this will end in deaths. My thoughts to everyone in this troubling time :(

DrtyBoy wrote:

I am in Holloway and i was on the Holloway road looking for a supermarket (as my supermarket shop that was due to be delivered last night was cancelled!) and it was a ghost town with all shops shut...scary. I was told they were expecting the rioting to come down to my area. Thankfully it didnt happen but god knows what will happen over the next few days.

I am due to go to the England Holland friendly in Wembley tomorrow night as well (gulp)

England match has been cancelled.

DrtyBoy wrote:

Shopping for food is hard now I know. Only Morrisons at Wood Green was opened as usually but with more guards. I tried the big Sainsburys I normally go to and it was closed in fear and the Sainsburys Local was looking like they will close it at any minute. Even most of the small local shops were closed.

Gosh, last nightwas INSANE. I stayed up 'til ten to 3 because I couldn't take my eyes off the television, facebook and Twitter.

Heard all sorts about Manchester kicking off - luckily it wasn't true. My uni would never have survived, haha. My friend's university got broken into and trashed, though. She lives in Ealing, and her landlady said today that it's like a ghost town.

I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in strangers. And yet seeing that the Clean-Up Operation website is down due to too much traffic was strangely heartening.

Hope you're okay, Laveila.