Lovehoney vs. Ofcom?

Ok so I just got off the phone with my mobile provider, 3 Mobile, a bit bewildered if not furious. I have been having trouble accessing the LH website on my phone even though I have been able to get on it before. niftyb also has exactly the same phone on the same service provider with a marginally different contract and has never had any problems of this kind.

So colour me confused when the customer service guy tells me that LH is on some kind of Ofcom regulated list that stops users being able to access it! I'm almost positive that there's not a grain of truth in it but could this be true? He told me that it was not up to 3 to block the site but up to Ofcom =__=

Surely this can't be true? Thoughts....

Have no experience of 3, but I access LH on my mobile all the time with no problem at all. I'm on Vodafone, but surely if it was an Ofcom instruction it would apply to all networks?

Maybe drop customer services an email and ask if they know anything about it then go back to 3?

Good luck getting it sorted

Simples: get your content lock removed.

Just tried to access the site with my mobile for the first time (HTC Desire HD on T-mobile) and it gives a nice mobile friendly site. However... Why is it a mobile friendly site? My phone can handle full sites too! Ok, just scanned the page and there is a 'view full site' link on there.

I have very recently switched mobile phone provider but when I was on 3uk I was unable to access LH because 3 restricted adult websites - it is their choice I believe.

Are you on an iphone or android because there was a way around it by changing your browser (if on android)

Thing is that they claim it affects my particular internet "add-on" on my contract. 3 have said that they would change the one I have to a "different one" for free after I shouted at them for trying to charge me £5. Not having someone charge me to get onto sites that I could do a matter of days ago!

Its worth mentioning that 3 charge you a extra £5 a month (from memory) to be able to access adult sites. When I asked even getting content lock removed made no difference. Its their policy. One of the reasons I left them.

Download Opera Mini to get round content restriction - its what I did

I'm on Orange and usually can't get on LH as there's a content lock on it. You can ring up customer services (can't do it over the internet unfortunately) to verify that you're over 18, but I just can't be bothered.

Jamba wrote:

Thing is that they claim it affects my particular internet "add-on" on my contract. 3 have said that they would change the one I have to a "different one" for free after I shouted at them for trying to charge me £5. Not having someone charge me to get onto sites that I could do a matter of days ago!

LOL. Thats hilarious!

Typical faceless companies... a lot of people would not argue back and just say: "yeah go on then". Now you have saved a fiver... you can put it towards something else on LH External Media

LittleKitty wrote:

I have very recently switched mobile phone provider but when I was on 3uk I was unable to access LH because 3 restricted adult websites - it is their choice I believe.

Are you on an iphone or android because there was a way around it by changing your browser (if on android)

Ah cool will look to change browser then. 3 are little fuckers aren't they!

HappyCouple wrote:

How so sir? How so?

Jamba wrote:

HappyCouple wrote:

How so sir? How so?

I believe it'll make little difference - they charge the fiver to remove the content bar as they don't want you looking at this type of site. Ridiculous isn't it?!

Jamba wrote:

HappyCouple wrote:

How so sir? How so?

With vodafone and I think t-mobile I was able to do it online. Just ask them to remove your content lock, they will ask you to prove you are 18+, they will generally ask for you credit card details and charge you ~£1 to be taken off your next bill. (check with your customer services to see if they will refund the money or take it off your bill - if they won't refund it in any way/shape/form then complain until they do it).

HappyCouple wrote:

Just tried to access the site with my mobile for the first time (HTC Desire HD on T-mobile) and it gives a nice mobile friendly site. However... Why is it a mobile friendly site? My phone can handle full sites too! Ok, just scanned the page and there is a 'view full site' link on there.

It's because your browser tells a website what sort of device it is coming from (So LH will know you're on an Android device) and thus you get forwarded to the mobile site. In your settings you can set your "User Agent" to be Desktop, which means you will never be redirected to a mobile site instead of the main one.

Yeah, I'm on 3 and can't get LH at all. They said they only 'remove the lock' in so much as they allow you access to thweir special list of sites, which is why they charge extra. They saod there's no way to get an overall unlocking, but I didn't fight it yet so not sure if that's just the initial fob-off that can be worked around with enough calls and yelling or not.

Ecksvie wrote:

I'm on Orange and usually can't get on LH as there's a content lock on it. You can ring up customer services (can't do it over the internet unfortunately) to verify that you're over 18, but I just can't be bothered.

I'm on Orange PAYG and i can get on it no problem! These phone service providers are bloody crap lol!

Slight hi-jack (apologies but if the Opera Mini workaround, works hopefully you'll forgive me?)

But for those of you who can access LH on their mobiles (fullsite) are you able to type in the text box? I can access the forums but am unable to post any messages and unsure what I'm doing wrong?

HappyCouple wrote:

Jamba wrote:

HappyCouple wrote:

How so sir? How so?

With vodafone and I think t-mobile I was able to do it online. Just ask them to remove your content lock, they will ask you to prove you are 18+, they will generally ask for you credit card details and charge you ~£1 to be taken off your next bill. (check with your customer services to see if they will refund the money or take it off your bill - if they won't refund it in any way/shape/form then complain until they do it).

you can remove the content lock on t mobile internet dongles in store for free, i believe its the same for mobile devices. Plus if you are in the shop you can kick up a fuss ( ask to see the manager, use thier phones to talk to the call centre, in front of other customers). I use their dongle and the content lock was ridiculous! it wouldnt even let me look at things like bath shops, bbc and dating sites, even facebook was blocked after 9pm!

it may be worth heading into a three store when you get some spare time. not a nice way to spend a saturday though.

DesignDude wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

I'm on Orange PAYG and i can get on it no problem! These phone service providers are bloody crap lol!

Well, now you mention it, sometimes I can get in, other times not. I dont really use LH on my phone so it's not really an issue, but annoying nonetheless!

Thing is LH go out their way to ensure the site is as friendly as possible, no lewd language, boobs (boo!) etc...

It does sound a bit BS to me... Let's also remember that to take out a contract you need to be over 18 yes? Do we really need to protect our poor ickle adults?

Perhaps LH seeing this might alert them and if LH are being filtered wrongly I'm sure they'll try to get things changed.

WandA wrote:

Thing is LH go out their way to ensure the site is as friendly as possible, no lewd language, boobs (boo!) etc...

It does sound a bit BS to me... Let's also remember that to take out a contract you need to be over 18 yes? Do we really need to protect our poor ickle adults?

Perhaps LH seeing this might alert them and if LH are being filtered wrongly I'm sure they'll try to get things changed.

It does also amuse me that there's only two 'adult' sites I regularly visit: LH and FetLife. FL isn't blocked at all. And thinking in terms of graphic content, I know which is a far sight more block-worthy. :)