Lube confusion

With the multitude types of sex toy materials and the amount of different lubes could someone tell me what lube is safe to use with what toy as I have had a few melt etc....

It would be nice touch on the lh site if it had a lube reference in the stats list of the toy

Silicon lube can't be used with silicon toys - silicon and silcon melt when they come into contact, Your best bet is to always use waterbased lubes as they seem to be toy and skin safe.

Heres a link to the LH buying guide for more info: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex/lubricants/buyers-guide/choosing-personal-lubricant/

If you go onto a lube page on LH and scroll down to the stats under the info section it does tell you breifly if its comdom safe and toy safe etc...

Hope this helps!

The sex toy demonstration videos also sometimes mention information about lubricants.

Pixie_Murree wrote:

Silicon lube can't be used with silicon toys - silicon and silcon melt when they come into contact,

However, this, in most cases, just isn't true. We have almost exclusively silicone toys and have use the Pjur range of lubes with them all without any trouble. Metus Black, the president of Tantus wrote an article on this some years ago and it seems that good quality medical grade silicone rubber and good quality silicone lubes are fine with each other. This is probably just as well as some of the apparently water-based lubes (Liquid Silk for example) have some silicone in them.

One problem is that some toys, even from quite reputable sources, that claim to be silicone quite clearly aren't.

Gyrator53 wrote:

Pixie_Murree wrote:

Silicon lube can't be used with silicon toys - silicon and silcon melt when they come into contact,

However, this, in most cases, just isn't true. We have almost exclusively silicone toys and have use the Pjur range of lubes with them all without any trouble. Metus Black, the president of Tantus wrote an article on this some years ago and it seems that good quality medical grade silicone rubber and good quality silicone lubes are fine with each other. This is probably just as well as some of the apparently water-based lubes (Liquid Silk for example) have some silicone in them.

One problem is that some toys, even from quite reputable sources, that claim to be silicone quite clearly aren't.

I'm sorry to go off topic, but Metus Black? What a name!

Thanks for the replies

You'd probably find that silicone toys and lube are not in contact long enough to cause melting and as long as you wash and store the toys after properly it should be ok.

But even if that is the case some Silicone toys can be quite expensive and I personally would rather not take the risk!

I've heard far to many stories about toys melting together

Abots wrote:

I suspect that, like the chap who called himself Parker 51, it is not their real name but a nom de plume 8-)=

Pixie_Murree wrote:

You'd probably find that silicone toys and lube are not in contact long enough to cause melting and as long as you wash and store the toys after properly it should be ok.

But even if that is the case some Silicone toys can be quite expensive and I personally would rather not take the risk!

I've heard far to many stories about toys melting together

Well, I have experimented with this as, thanks to a mouse in our toy draw a while back, we have a Feeldoe, a Share and a few other toys that have been partially nibbled so I covered these in Pjur Original and left them soaking in it in plastic bags for a few weeks. The result - no issues at all.

I think a lot of the issues with toys sticking together comes from the plasticisers used in some jelly type toy materials. These seem to leach out and soak into anything they are in contact with (including other toys). We had a few isses like this but none since we sacked all the 'jelly' things.

Gyrator53 wrote:

Abots wrote:

I suspect that, like the chap who called himself Parker 51, it is not their real name but a nom de plume 8-)=

Sorry to be a real pedant, but as a Tantus fanboy I feel I must point out that her name is actually Metis Black (Metis is a not unusual first name, of Greek origin I think), and although I couldn't say for certain that it is her actual name, it is not some online alias, it is the name she goes by in real life.

As for the whole lube thing, the LH page sums it up pretty well. Gyrator53 is right about silicone on silicone, for many products it is fine, occasionally it goes bad (you can always do a patch test on an unexposed part of the dildo). I still have not heard a convincing explanation of whether this depends on the presence of non-silicone components in supposedly silicone toys, or whether it relates to the type and chain length and cross-linking of the silicone in the dildo and lube.

Water-based should be fine with everything. Most importantly, do not use oil-based toys with rubber, jelly or vinyl toys (or condoms), this will wreck your toys and carries substantial health risks.

Alex.

I use this with no problems, available in most good supermarkets

http://www.durex.com/en-GB/Products/Massage/Pages/PlaySoothingMassage.aspx

If in doubt, use a water based lube.