Making Memories

Does a scent, a song, an image or such evoke a powerful memory for you? Scents can be triggering for me: the smell of roses, or leather can bring me memories of special times. The smell of saddle soap brings me an instant and happy memory of horse riding lessons when I was a kid.
Recently I bought a wonderful perfume with leather notes that I am using when I am with my partner performing certain actions. I am hoping to chain this particular scent to create a future pleasurable association. Has anyone else done this, or is there a particular thing that evokes a strong memory for you? Let’s keep it to pleasurable ones.:bouquet:

3 Likes

Lots of things, especially music. Have literally 1,000’s of songs on my phone from the 1960’s to present day, and putting it on shuffle often throws up songs that stir pleasant memories of my childhood and youth. Scents are a trigger too. The smell of baking reminds me of my nan’s. A certain scent can take me back 40 years!

4 Likes

I like the one’s that takes me back to my grandparents.
Wether it be, a smell, taste or sounds. And they take me back to the most rememberable moments I shared with them.

Hearing the song hubby played for me, when we first got together. And him saying that’s his song to me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
And hearing our song we had for our first dance to, and the song I walked down the isle to, and the song we walked out to.

When we take the kid’s away to Butlins, and the memories of me when I use to go with my mum and dad and siblings, just come back to me. And now we’re making whole new memories as a family.

1 Like

Popcorn smell always makes me feel nostalgic. I used to go to the cinema every week with my dad when I was a kid so it brings back those memories :popcorn:

3 Likes

The smell of patchouli makes me feel like naughty teenager.

2 Likes

Used to smell that all the time at 80’s rock concerts!

2 Likes

@WillC myself and a great friend very innocently began wearing patchouli oil as it was always on sale in our favourite shop in Cardiff that sold second hand American clothing.

2 Likes

It’s a very nostalgic smell for me! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes!! This is a special way our senses catalogue memories by connecting it to something stimulating. It’s also a widely used technique for people with memory Illnesses to help awaken things for them.

For me I love the smell of oranges as it brings me a joyful fresh comfort. Also I sometimes get whiffs of smells that reminds me of family that has passed.

I think this is a great idea your trying out with your partner and can imagine it’ll heighten the experiences for both of you sexually.

1 Like

There’s a certain soap smell that takes me back to when I was at my nan and grandads house. If I went to the bathroom after he had been shaving there was always a very distinctive smell.
Certain songs will remind me of nights out with friends or just periods of my life.
It’s fab that there are little triggers that remind us of happy times.

1 Like

Im like this with music as well. The albumn Blue by joni mitchel is basically my childhood on a cd for me. Same with some cristy moore stuff and and sandy denny and a whole load of other things.
Heard some guns and roses today and was instantly back at uni studying in my closet of a dorm room.

Ive got songs that remind me of friends that arent with us any more, and music that makes me homesick. Music that reminds me of lazy summer days having a barbecue on the cliffs.

Theres a particular spice mix that for me always smells like Christmas. And the smell of mown grass always makes me thing of grazed knees and grass stains after playing in the fields.
And the smell of the sea is always home for me. Every time.

2 Likes

Exactly! I don’t need a time machine, i have my music collection! Always have cinnamon scent of some kind in the house at Christmas too! :slight_smile:

1 Like