Male PMS AKA IMS

Ok I heard about guys having their own version of PMS. For many years I thought it was just an idea and not proven. After a recent episode with a man, I've decided to investigate this male PMS further (it is also know as Irritable Male Syndrome).

Some sites for you to look at if you wish;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_male_syndrome

http://www.healthwatchcenter.com/2010/04/male-pms-is-there-such-a-thing/

http://theneave.com/male-pms-it-does-exist/

If you or your man suffers with IMS, how do you cope with it? What is your cure? What do you think about IMS?

Chocolate, caramel and praline ice cream has not solved the problem.

Try Cherry Garcia - works a treat for me!

In all seriousness, though, I do suffer from bad moods, irritability etc, etc. It's partly depression, partly stress, and partly just having an off day.

Diet helps with all three, levelling out my blood sugar and consequently my moods. You can eat specifically to moderate stress as well, but I don't so much.

Eat better, ditch the caffeine and chill out, get some sleep if you can. See if that helps.

All the best,

MrMr

He hasn't been diagnosed with it. I'm just trying to work out what these episodes or periods are because I love him and I want to help him cope with it and himself when he does feel crabby, fed up and lethargic. Plus, I feel a bit of a strain when these episodes occur and I think I need to learn how to cope with it better.

We go through this every month and a half to two months I would say on average and each episode vary with how long it lasts for... usually a week.

Example; Last week, really happy and really active and expressing how happy he is in his life. This week, quiet and irritable and doesn't want to do anything or have sex. He says it isn't me and his head gets like this.

We've been out to play a good game of tennis, managed to crack some smiles from that. I said to him don't worry about the housework or making meals I will do it. He's been sleeping a lot and he eats very healthy food unless he is with some of his friends lol.

Thanks for the tips though, if zinc does help, I may have to see what vegetables contain it and have them as part of the meal.

i get episodes of this myself but not as much as i used to,i now wake up thinking whoopie made another day and life goes on and hopefully i look up not down about life problems etc .Just feel lucky that i'm still around .But it does happen and god knows why ,my oh leaves me to get on with it and that is good sometimes too

I definitely get IMS. Regular vigorous exercise helps. Half an hour on the cross trainer for example. I try not to stuff my face, but being hungry does not help my grumpiness. If I'm getting grumpy for no apparent reason it's also a signal that I need to give attention to my femme side and dress up for an evening, perhaps followed by a nice little session with a dildo.

Approached the subject about taking a zinc supplement or eating food which contains a good source of zinc. Explained to him what zinc does etc thanks to Avrielle_Aniko informative post!

There's definitely a difference from being a bit fed up (where I just leave him alone and get on with it) to these episodes. However, getting him to go see a doctor may take a little work and finding a good doctor will be difficult.

He seems reluctant to try anything which may help at this moment but when he comes out from this episode I will approach the subject fully.

Having known people with various degrees of low mood/depression ( and I include myself in this ) his mood problems could be due to this.

Drawing from my own experiences when things are going well I'm on top of the world, kisses to the wife and a spring in my step. But if one or two things go wrong the clouds draw in and I become sullen, snappy and unpleasantly pessimistic. It's like the happiness is a thin layer of ice that I get to stand on but all it takes a few stamps and I'm in freezing dark water again.

Climb back onto the ice and the sun is on my face and I look back at the water and think ' what the hell was I doing in there? Life's good and I've nothing much to grumble about '. But when I'm in the water I can't feel or see the sunshine and feel nothing but cold and dark.

The trick is trying to work out why the ice is so thin and what to do when the cracks appear.

BigPoppa wrote:

Having known people with various degrees of low mood/depression ( and I include myself in this ) his mood problems could be due to this.

Drawing from my own experiences when things are going well I'm on top of the world, kisses to the wife and a spring in my step. But if one or two things go wrong the clouds draw in and I become sullen, snappy and unpleasantly pessimistic. It's like the happiness is a thin layer of ice that I get to stand on but all it takes a few stamps and I'm in freezing dark water again.

Climb back onto the ice and the sun is on my face and I look back at the water and think ' what the hell was I doing in there? Life's good and I've nothing much to grumble about '. But when I'm in the water I can't feel or see the sunshine and feel nothing but cold and dark.

The trick is trying to work out why the ice is so thin and what to do when the cracks appear.

And that's tricky to know!

Good description and I think it's very applicable. It's hard to see him depressed. I'm scared one day it may last longer than a week or a month and a prevention would be good.

BigPoppa wrote:

And that's tricky to know!

Good description and I think it's very applicable. It's hard to see him depressed. I'm scared one day it may last longer than a week or a month and a prevention would be good.

Has he thought of counselling? It's helped me a lot and I don't get as low as I ever used to. Some of my issues come from expectations peope have put on me that I always do this and that but now I just feel strongly that it's my life and I can do whatever I want and if people love me they will be by my side ( within reason of course. )

It's taken a long time to realise that a log of my thought patterns have been driven into me by my mum. I love her but realise now she has a very negative and self centred view of life.

I preferred this option as I've said elsewhere that I feel I can keep going ok but that antidepressant medication can always be there if things get too bad.

He has had counselling before but it was a long time ago. I'll suggest it to him as he'll probably be able to unload his thoughts privately to someone who isn't personally connected to him. But again, it's finding the right professional to confide one's thoughts to.