Modern sex books tips/ self-help/ quides/ factual

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

Postillionager wrote:

I recently got Sextasy by Tracey Cox, it's a nice hardback, coffee table type thing. The photos are well done, tasteful and natural. Her writing style is quite chatty, more like a magazine article than a book, but there is plenty of info in there.

I got given some Tracey Cox books when I was 17, I agree they are a bit chatty and more like a magazine. I haven't read her book 'Sextasy', are there any good and bad points you feel worth mentioning?

Hi, I've only browsed through it so far but, for me personally, I would prefer the text to be less chatty and more matter of fact. However, I do like the style of presentation, and the photos especially are good, the people look like ordinary people who are happy and comfortable in what they're doing. It's a nice quality hardback book, I wouldn't be embarrassed if it was lying around when my parents came round.

Just started Sex In Elizabethan England. I'll let you know how it goes.

I must share the tag-line from a review - "hey nonnie nookie!" Classy or what?

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

sharry wrote:

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

sharry wrote:

Bought and read Dr Pam Spurrs Sinful Sex... not particularly sinful nor does it really cover anything that unusual. There were a few ideas on techniques that we mean to try but no earth shattering revelations.

I can understand really, everyone has their own definition on what is sinful. The cover looks appealing comparded to some, but others could find it off putting. If there any areas of the book you really didn't get a long with? and areas that you did actually enjoy, whether they are helpful to you or not?

It felt a little basic in parts but I don't know if that was the intention. I felt it strived to be all things to all men (or women) and ended up not really being indepth or exploratory enough. There seemed, to me, to be a heavy emphasis on the emotional/romantic side of the sexual relationship. I didn't buy the book for relationship advice but something to spark ideas and add a little 'pep'. The other thing was that the illustrations were absolutely awful! I think part of a sex books job is to stimulate visually as well as mentally BUT the drawings were so bad that I found them distracting. Have a look at the book on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinful-Sex-Uninhibited-Erotic-Pleasure/dp/1861055463/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300897369&sr=1-4

I wouldn't say it's a bad book as it did have some oral tips and games which we found interesting but to describe itself as 'sinful' was over egging it a little. I got it half price so not too bad a purchase.

understand a lot of books I've read recently have been like this. I purchase both self-help and textbooks regarding sex and understand the differances, with self help a visual can help as long as it's kept in line with the rest of the book. Not sure if that makes sense, but some books are lighter than others. with a book stating it is sinful you expect something a little visually sinful. Seems like a good book, though I personally may not buy as I have so many on my list to purchase.

What was your fav tip on oral within the book, did you find it explained it well enough to take it from the pages into real life?

Sorry I must seem annoying.

silverdrop wrote:

I recently read Sex at Dawn which is a book theorizing about the sexual habits of early mankind. I found it a pretty fascinating read. I'm not convinced that the evidence proves anything about pre-civilization humans, but the evidence itself - the sexual habits of various primate species and humans in tribal cultures - was interesting.

This book seems interesting, was there any parts of evidence that really caught your eye? and some bits that you felt were more filler than fact?

Sorry had to quote the whole reply, for some reason it wasn't allowing me to edit it. Don't know if it's me or a bug.

Anyway, back to the interesting bit. I've just had another look at the book and i can't seem to find anything specific but they were more like variations on what we already did. For example on pg 96 there's 'The Beak' and on the next page 'The Stir'. They're well explained and easy to follow. So as I say not really anything new, just variations really. The most 'sinful' oral pleasure she saved for last was humming. If that's what she calls sinful it's pretty vanilla... or is it just me?

On the whole (no pun intended) I think it's more of a intro/intermediate level book, we aren't experts by any stretch of the imagination so much of it wasn't new. It was a pretty good jumping off point but if you've done anything other than the basic stuff it's probably a little old hat.

It's not a self help book but if you can read the novel 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by Michel Faber. I believe the BBC have filmed a drama based on it which is due on TV soon so maybe watch out for it. I doubt that there will be some of the more explicit stuff in it (Sugar's party trick for one) so if you get the chance to read the book I can't recommend it enough. It's the story of Sugar a Victorian prostitute. It's explicit and sometimes a little disquieting but a good read.

Whilst I can't recommend anything new I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this thread.

I think the only sex related book I've bought was Joy of Sex. A classic and well written I thought

Just a few that I've been reading and found quite interesting are:

Bonk by Mary Roach, looks more into the scientific stuff, and can be uncomfortable reading at times but also amusing.

Shadow lanes the art of spanking, more art than anything

Anne Hoopers ultimate sex positions, loads of soft pictures and plenty of text

Lazy sod's guide to sex by Stuart McLean, Short but funny

Rock her world by Adam Glasser

and lastly Why Women Have Sex by Cindy Meston and David Buss, again quite scientific.

Having read these books, each had a fair few things to think about and worth a read.

rt11 wrote:

Just a few that I've been reading and found quite interesting are:

Bonk by Mary Roach, looks more into the scientific stuff, and can be uncomfortable reading at times but also amusing.

Shadow lanes the art of spanking, more art than anything

Anne Hoopers ultimate sex positions, loads of soft pictures and plenty of text

Lazy sod's guide to sex by Stuart McLean, Short but funny

Rock her world by Adam Glasser

and lastly Why Women Have Sex by Cindy Meston and David Buss, again quite scientific.

Having read these books, each had a fair few things to think about and worth a read.

I've only just pick up a copy of Bonk, it looks interesting, similar to some psychology books I've read.

I'll look into getting 'Why Women Have Sex' though I have a few books about women and the evolution of intercourse already.

After looking at the 'Shadow lanes the art of spanking' have you ever thought of getting any of the other volumes?

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

I've only just pick up a copy of Bonk, it looks interesting, similar to some psychology books I've read.

I'll look into getting 'Why Women Have Sex' though I have a few books about women and the evolution of intercourse already.

After looking at the 'Shadow lanes the art of spanking' have you ever thought of getting any of the other volumes?

After looking at the Art of spanking, I'm considering getting the other volumes, although to me it did come across as more of an advertiser for the films they make. The only other thing is I've only the e-book versions, so for pictures it isn't so great.

I've been meaning to update this post for awhile. I was reading 'The big book of sex toys', I'm going to write a little bit about this later, though personally even though the photo's are very pretty the book wasn't for me.

Currently I'm reading 'Burlesque Handbook' by Headmistress Jo Weldon. I know it's not really a sex book, but burlesque is commonly talked about within the forums so thought it would be worth a mention.There's tips on moves, make-up, and how to make basic pasties and tassels. There's also a little bit regarding history, something more unusaul forms/ shows (such as Godzilla), and reminders a sections stating that shape, size, and gender dn't matter in the world of burlesque. It seems to be a rather good book, which is informative and enjoyable.