Moral Dilemma about Returning Something!

Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, it's my 1st thread ;)

So I've been ordering stuff quite regularly from LH for about a year now and I've never once had to return anything, nor have I ever wanted to; all my purchases have been fantastic. But my last order I do regret - I would've bought something else instead :( There's nothing wrong with the product tho, it's just that I don't like it.

I read the returns policy and it says you can return things for any reason... but I dunno, this might sound stupid, but it feels kind of morally wrong for me to return it when there's nothing wrong with it - not LH's fault I didn't like it so why should they bear the cost?!

So I guess my queston for forum users is have (or would) you ever returned something to LH just because you didn't like it, even though the product itself is fine?

Not quite! I did however return a pair of boots because I stupidly ordered 2 pairs instead of 1! I did initially think I should keep the extra pair since it was my own fault but I realised they wouldn't be used at all if they weren't returned!

btw hello & welcome to the Orgasm Army!

We r a really friendly bunch (except 4 me!)

Here is the official welcome thread (and OA rules):

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/community/forums/inside-lovehoney/327670-welcome-to-the-lovehoney-forum/

W

NIN22 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Hope I'm posting this in the right place, it's my 1st thread ;)

So I've been ordering stuff quite regularly from LH for about a year now and I've never once had to return anything, nor have I ever wanted to; all my purchases have been fantastic. But my last order I do regret - I would've bought something else instead :( There's nothing wrong with the product tho, it's just that I don't like it.

I read the returns policy and it says you can return things for any reason... but I dunno, this might sound stupid, but it feels kind of morally wrong for me to return it when there's nothing wrong with it - not LH's fault I didn't like it so why should they bear the cost?!

So I guess my queston for forum users is have (or would) you ever returned something to LH just because you didn't like it, even though the product itself is fine?

I would feel the same as you do but I know lots of other people here would say return it, it's part of the return policy

Hi NIN22 and welcome to the forums.

No it's not morally wrong IMO. If a company is making such a sweeping statement that you can return items for any reason they've obviously thought about it before making it and are prepared to accept returned goods *for any reason!*

It's a great offer is it not? and it's all about customer satisfaction. So if I were you I'd return the item with no worries. Sounds like you'll still be shopping here anhow :)

SG

Sometimes an item and the person just don´t fit. For many reasons (of we forget faulty items). Lovehoney has great return policy, I think to make the customers feel secure about buying without seeing the item in reality (great if you are too shy like me to go to sex shop). I understand the feeling, I would feel likely bad as well, but there is no need to. It can happen, that you and the product just don´t fit.

I know because its a "personal" product it feels wrong to do it but if you didn't like a dress you'd bought online, you'd send it back wouldn't you rather than store it in your wardrobe taking up space?

I agree with SG - part of the service you get from Lh is to send it back if you don't like it so I'd do it and buy yourself something you're going to enjoy!! x

I'd return it also - it is the policy after all. In fact I have returned things I just didn't like before. It's part and parcel of buying online imo the product descriptions/images are never going to be 100% accurate (which is why Lh send out so many testers to get lots of points of view on products) and you can't "see" the product before you purchase so it's bound to happen sooner or later. In fact there are certain legalities with online buying in that you are entitled to a 7 day cooling off period because you couldn't see the product in the flesh so to speak before you bought it.

There are certain things that I've returned with no qualms whatsoever and upon speaking with customer services suggested alterations to product photos/descriptions just because I felt I was misled (sometimes the photos sent by the manufacturer are really misleading and Lh do try to get their own photos taken of many products to avoid this issue).

So yes, I'd return it with no qualms.

Adx

Lh are often not the cheapest around, and they don't claim to be (but often they still are!). They would rather focus on their returns and CS than simply undercutting competition. I see it as that I sometimes pay a little bit more for an item for the privilege of these little perks.

If I've paid for perks I can use 'em!

I'm a terrible one for irrational guilt, so I get where you're coming from. I've felt awful the couple of times I've had to get a faulty item replaced, although I balance it by cost-saving and not returning the physical item, just e-mailing photos of the fault and disposing of it correctly myself, so at least it saves the added costs of covering the return postage. I'm all about the minor victories.

For the dislikes thing, I've only really had two that I dislike to the point that I don't bother using them, and neither was more than £3, so it's not worth the effort, really. But if there was something large I disliked, I'd definitely ping them about an exchange or refund.

Way I see it, if you feel like you've wasted a lot of money for nothing, you're more likely to be conservative when thinking of buying other items, whereas if you just remember how amazing they were about making sure you felt every penny spent was worth it, you'll be inclined to take risks on items you might not have otherwise, potentially finding something you love but wouldn't have bought elsewhere, and thus spending more money here than if you were wary. Confident shoppers are enthusiastic shoppers. :)

I have always found the LH returns policy to be excellent, friendly and efficient. They offer the no quibble refund for any reason, so it seems fair to use it. In fact, the research demonstrates that companies with a good returns policy actually do better business, because they get more repeat custom. Certainly, I have been more adventurous and extensive in my choice of purchases because I know LH will see me right if I'm disappointed.

I think it's great that LH have such a good returns policy... don't forget it is internet based so there's no shop where you can go in and have a look at it.

As long as you're not abusing the policy then I think it's okay.

Its a policy which should be applauded!

As Sharry says, its an internet based shop so you don't get to handle the goods before you buy, but the policy seems to go even further than allowing you to look. Being able to try before you buy with sex toys is an amazing concept!

Can you imagine walking into a sex shop with vibe in hand demanding your money back because it wasn't as good a ride as you hoped for? Don't think i'd have the balls for that level of embarrassment!.

Its just another example of why LH is now one of Sharry and mines favourite shops!

I've had no problem returning damaged items before, and LH have always been very helpful. I've also from time to time been sent the wrong thing and they get it sorted asap.

but I am always very worried abuot returning something I have used just because it didn't work for me... I probably only have a few toys like this but still have never had the courage to return them, they mainly gather dust now tbh.

Thanks for all the responses, and the friendly welcome

I'm sure I'll still feel guilty about returning it, but I must admit your responses have made me feel a little more comfortable about the idea.

I've returned two items to Lovehoney. One was a butterfly vibe that I spent 20 minutes trying to get the button batteries into before giving up. So I guess I'd classify that as defective product design. The other was the KiWi vibe which wasn't defective, but I just found the vibrations too feeble to be any good. And yes, I did feel a bit guilty about returning the latter, but it is their policy. And it really does make me feel more confident about making purchases that I might otherwise talk myself out of, so I imagine it makes them more money than it costs them.

I have sent more than one thing back and the process is easy and works well.

All online ventures include the cost of returns in the operating model,they have to.

Distance selling regulations are madatory for UK web based operations..

thanxs for that bit of info luscious your an angel

It really is very easy. Go here for info: http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/help/returns-policy/

It's easiest if you still have the invoice from the order, since there is the sticky label, but even without it's just a matter of filling out the online form, packing up the item, and dropping it in the post. I mailed off an item on Saturday and the refund went through today. And of course I spent it again right away. LOL

Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm in the same moral dilemma and would only have started a new thread the same as this one.

Yesterday I returned a Cobra Libre (my first return). It is truly fantastic quality in form but in function did nothing for me at all. I'd had it since May and tried several times but not a chance. I only kept it this long because I was uneasy about the ethics of returning a used sex toy - regardless of LH returns policy.

My problem now though is that of a £95 order that arrived this morning there are 3 items in it I don't like and don't want. I actually only want to keep one £19 item.

At what stage does taking LH up on their incredibly generous returns policy cross the line into abusing the company? I know I'm just a faceless number/customer to LH but that doesn't mean I'm happy to abuse their generosity!

I would also say that "if" I send these 3 items back I will still be retaining £300 worth of products bought since May this year alone.

I tend to "enjoy" higher priced items such as Aneros S2 Tempo and Aneros Vice which I'm very pleased with (along with many other Aneros products from LH). I've binned low price items I don't like in the past rather than return them but just can't afford to bin an £80 Cobra Libre or the £76 worth of unwanted items received this morning.

It's a risk we all take that no matter how many 5* reviews an item has it isn't going to suit everbody!

Oh S*@# - I don't like returning anything to shops these days other than Argos as I've lost my confrontational spirit over the last 20 years or so, now I'm even reticent about returning items purchased online and fully within the terms of the returns policy!

Geezer wrote:

Sorry to bump an old thread I'm in the same moral dilemma and would only have started a new thread the same as this one.

Don't be sorry! You're following the rules, we like bumps here :D.

I say return it - Lh really value happy customers, and if they offer such a wonderful returns policy they're going to have increased sales overall as people think "ah I'll give it a go - if I don't like it I can return it" and I bet a large % of the time people who make that rationalisation for a purchase who don't like the product don't return it so the returns policy will benefit Lh in some way.

Of course it's a very generous returns policy but I do think you should make use of it as it's part of Lh's outstanding customer services package :)

When it comes to sex toys, you can't really "try before you buy" so a returns policy like Lh's is really smart, it gets people testing and trying sex toys and gradually leaarning what styles they love :)

Adx