Need some advive from the girls.....

i used to have problems with clotting and heavy periods but since ive been on the pill they have just about stopped which is good

Lady-J wrote:

I was wondering if any of the girls can give me some advice or answers.

Every month i suffer so bad with my periods, some months they are early and some months i come on after 28 days but every period i have i find clots and i have them for 3-5 days untill my period has stopped, sometimes they are a size of a pennie and sometimes they are a size of a 50p pence, im always in very bad pain with my periods i also get sore and itchy down there too.

Is it normal to have clots everymonth when having periods?

Hi Lady-J External Media

I've always had massive problems with my period (up to three weeks long and cramps so bad I couldn't move). Clots are normal, but the really bad pain can be eased.

My doctor stuck me on the Pill, which didn't work for me but has helped a LOT of my friends, and my periods have been a lot better since I was got the Implant.

For the sore/itchy bit, I always drink loads of water/juice (seems to help a lot) and take paracetamol.

Ooh, and my doctor put me on Mefenamic Acid, which you take regularly on the day you first start your period. It's one of those things that builds up in your system so you need to keep taking it whether it'd painful or not. That helps a lot too, but I don't think you're allowed ibuprofen when you're on it. Paracetamol's still all good though.

HI Lady-J my wife had the same as you and her doctor give her a implant and it all stop ed and she dos not even have periods any more just through i would let you know it mite be a help it mite not

Yep I get clots whenever my period appears, they are painful as ever.. although they have got a lot better since being on the pill.

My cousin has to take super power drugs to stop her pains.

I get clots and very bad period pain, I have tried 3types of pain killers through the doctors before basically being put onto something that's basically as strong as morphine with ibuprofen as well.... I have found when I'm able to a little bit of exercise it can help and often heat treatment. but really other than rest that's all I can do. Some doctors say once you are over the age of 25 period pain will calm, but I'm unsure of this. I guess I will have to wait and see.

There's actually nothing different which really seems to stand out to cause this pain either, I'm just more sensative than some women I guess. Due to the pain killers being so strong I do have blood tests every so often to check if I am having problems as well but so far I seem to be ok. it's been like this from the start for me though, and often led to me having to go home from school, and later on in life from college and work because I really can't even support my body with the pain.

if you are itchy it could be an infection like others have said. So I suggest going to your doctors. though if you are getting irratation externally it could also be something like a reaction to washing powder or soap if you have changed these recently. Sorry if that sounds random but as I'm very sensative to soaps etc I tend to definatly notic down there the most if I'm getting a reaction from my underwear.

Some doctors say once you are over the age of 25 period pain will calm, but I'm unsure of this. I guess I will have to wait and see

I was told that pregnancy and giving birth helps, as it loosens the bits and makes things easier. Not always, but in some cases. But I am not going to be pregnant, just to test this theory out.

Laveila wrote:

Some doctors say once you are over the age of 25 period pain will calm, but I'm unsure of this. I guess I will have to wait and see

I was told that pregnancy and giving birth helps, as it loosens the bits and makes things easier. Not always, but in some cases. But I am not going to be pregnant, just to test this theory out.

Well Im over 25 and have 3 kids and my period problems only started when I hit 30, before that they were medium with no pain and were every 26 days. I have tried the Mefenamic Acid but it made no change, the pill left me feeling like I had morning sickness all day and the merina coil left me a complete wreck, suicidal being the worst part by far. Now they are very heavy, I flood at least once every month, pain starts about 2 days before as well the grumpiness and the clots I get are big enough that I can feel them coming out (sorry tmi). They calmed slightly when my coil got removed but are gradually getting heavier again and as I cant use anything hormonal to control them my only option left is endometrial ablation which I dont really fancy but will see how much heavier they get.

There are so many options that your gp can offer you that it wont be a wasted journey but be prepared to have to try a few of them. Good luck xxx

suze9 wrote:

Laveila wrote:

Well Im over 25 and have 3 kids and my period problems only started when I hit 30, before that they were medium with no pain and were every 26 days. I have tried the Mefenamic Acid but it made no change, the pill left me feeling like I had morning sickness all day and the merina coil left me a complete wreck, suicidal being the worst part by far. Now they are very heavy, I flood at least once every month, pain starts about 2 days before as well the grumpiness and the clots I get are big enough that I can feel them coming out (sorry tmi). They calmed slightly when my coil got removed but are gradually getting heavier again and as I cant use anything hormonal to control them my only option left is endometrial ablation which I dont really fancy but will see how much heavier they get.

There are so many options that your gp can offer you that it wont be a wasted journey but be prepared to have to try a few of them. Good luck xxx

Yes mefenamic acid is very useless and for me caused me to have more problems. Though a lot of people find it useful just not me.