Moving!

My husband and I separated in February, the week after my cat was put to sleep. I can’t afford to pay the mortgage so I’m looking for somewhere to live. However I’m on the waiting list for council accommodation (Scotland) and have another cat (brother to the one who died). All private landlords specify “no pets” and even though my husband has said he’ll look after Amitayus, I don’t see why I should as I’ve had him since he was 8 weeks old (he’s now 16½). I asked my sister if I could stay at hers (she’s at her boyfriend’s place) but she’s now said she doesn’t know (re me staying at hers). I don’t know what to do, short of putting Amitayus to sleep, which I would never ever do. I’m writing this with tears running down my face, I’m absolutely demented. I need to move out; I WANT to move out but it seems I can’t take my beloved shadow with me

6 Likes

Oh honey, I’m so sad reading this.
Unfortunately I don’t have any practical advice to give you. Im sure others will do when they see your post.
I really hope that things work out for you. For the interim, you may be best letting your ex look after the cat just while you get yourself sorted. I didn’t think landlords could say no pets now, although it may be different in Scotland.
Try and keep positive although I know its hard but things will get better xx

3 Likes

Oh lovey… :heart:

I agree with Kh1985. If the only definite offer you’ve got is from your ex (and you’ve no reason to believe that he’d let any harm come to Amitayus, have you?), then by far the kindest and most practical solution is to accept his offer. After all, it will only be until you’ve managed to secure a council place. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Lie. I know it’s stressful but I’ve known countless families who are given no choice but to lie about their pets or go homeless. I don’t believe landlords should be able to refuse pets if someone pays rent and gives a deposit. Pets are like family and vital to people’s mental wellbeing.

If your landlord finds out, you can say it’s temporary or a favour for someone. They’re much less likely to make an issue of it once youre moved in and have been paying your bills for a while. If you have an inspection scheduled you can get your ex or a friend to watch him.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of your problem. We are in England so may be different but 6 years ago we were moving and had to rent for a short time. I found initially a holiday home that was willing to take 1 cat/dog we only stayed there 3 weeks as was very expensive but then moved into a rental property ad again was allowed 1 cat/dog and we stayed there 3 months but had a 6 month lease. I would check with some landlords

1 Like

Seems your between a rock and a hard place…

I feel for you, regarding an answer not sure, are there not rehoming service for people in your situation…

Hope you fathom the best route for you both

1 Like

I’m sure your ex loves your cat as much as you do, so let them keep them until you get sorted. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

But he’s my cat, I’ve had him since he was 8 weeks old…

I’m going to keep on at the council, that’s all I can do

…and he’ll continue to be your cat while he’s lodging temorarily with your ex (a human he already knows and will feel comfortable with). You have to ask yourself what matters more here: your feelings or the comfort and safety of the cat you love?

4 Likes

Cats are less clingy than dogs, i’m sure they’ll be happy with your ex until you get sorted. If you need/want to cut all ties with your ex is there not a family member who can take them on temporarily? Or failing that can a charity not foster/re-home them?

2 Likes

This sounds like a terrible situation to be in and I’m sorry life is pushing you to think about these choices :pensive: there usually is always a way around the no pets issue with housing so I hope it will work out for you soon.

1 Like

Me and the OH looked at countless places before two landlords told us pets were ok depending on meeting the pet and paying a deposit for it, so it’s not impossible just might take a while (we were looking for 2-3 months at least) :sweat_smile: I agree with others, as long as you’re willing to pay for any damages the pet might cause I don’t get why landlords are allowed to refuse them :woman_facepalming: I agree with others, let your fur baby stay with your ex until you can find a place, even though it might not be ideal (my partner’s sister let her cat stay with their parents for a while before they sorted out their house, and even though it wasn’t ideal and he missed her it was better than him getting hurt or worse) :crying_cat_face: Maybe talk to the potential landlords, tell them he’s an older cat (as kittens are prone to causing more destruction), and maybe ask if they’d be willing to meet him to see for themselves (which I know with COVID isn’t ideal but maybe you could send a video or something), and that if he did ruin anything you’d be willing to pay to replace it :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Depending on your local service, some animal shelters run animal fostering services for people who temporarily can’t house pets (women who go into refuge often need this as they won’t leave their pet with the perpetrator) so it’s like your pet going to live with a vetted home and family for a while.

Speak to your local RSPCA/shelter service and see what they provide, as they might have restrictions on circumstances

3 Likes

Thank you all :two_hearts:

You may find this helpful

2 Likes

Yes a friend in Carlisle sent me it but it doesn’t apply to Scotland, where I am, as housing is one of the devolved matters. But thank you for sharing it, much appreciated :two_hearts:

All I can say is ‘ask’ some landlords might have hearts. I used to rent out my ‘bachelor flat’ after I got married and bought a house with my wife. The default is ‘no pets’ with most letting agencies - however the family that over into my flat was in a similar situation…the dad of the family had badly broken his leg meaning he couldn’t work so they couldn’t pay their mortgage so that had to sell up and move into a rental. They had two kids and two cats…my agent asked me and I let them rent (I mean I had my two cats living there - so why not). I realise this isn’t a solution but don’t assume that because they say no pets that some landlords might still accept them. Obviously any damage done by the pet (or by anything really) is on you…but that’s no different than in any rental situation.

Keep smiling - hopefully you’ll find a solution…

1 Like

Found one that DOES accept pets AND DSS
Bit further away than I wanted but…

6 Likes

Cats get stressed with change so think carefully if the pets welfare is the most important thing here?

If your partner has a garden/lives somewhere the cat is used to and gets out then surely you won’t move the cat to a flat in the city for example?

1 Like