New rules.... (Overly graphic language)

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your comments and questions, and for being so patient over the weekend waiting for a reply :)

I understand that a rule like this does come with 'grey areas' and of course conversation detail is contextual. As I said in my previous post, I will bare in mind subject content and whether or not the amount of detail is necessary and adding to the conversation at hand.

I think we can all appreciate times when detail is required in order to fully advise / ask a question and get the information you need, in comparison to times when adding extra detail is unnecessary and doesn't help in passing on any information or make the conversation any clearer, more informative or helpful. It's a really tough rule to enforce as I'm effectively asking everyone to use their common sense, and that in itself is subjective!

Perhaps I should change the wording to "Unnecessary expletives"? What does everyone think?

To confirm, by expletive I'm referring to the following definition:

- "A word or phrase that does not contribute any meaning but is added only to fill out a sentence or a metrical line."

It's not so much a case of 'too much detail' if the detail is required, I'm referring more to when the person posting chooses to use harsh / expletive language to describe something when it really wasn't required and the information passed on would have been equally as useful without it. For the sake of offering an example, I will break my own rule!

NO- "I rammed my asshole with my new anal dong last night - I can still feel myself throbbing and gaping as I write this. I smothered myself, the toy and my whole house in lube and squeezed it in, feeling my a-hole stretch over the tip. I can't wait to use it again and watch myself cum over and over again. Next time I'm going to frantically frig myself off at the same time to see how much I can cum...."

YES- "I tried out my new anal dildo last night - it was amazing!! I made sure I used plenty of water-based lube and was impressed by how stretched it made me feel. Certain positions were better than others and I personally found inserting in a squatted position easiest. The orgasms were fantastic and I think it could be my new favourite toy! When I come to use it next time I think I'll try using it alongside my bullet for clit stim as well."

These two paragraphs basically say the same thing, but the choice of language is completely different - going back to the age old saying "It's not what you say, but the way you say it".

As for the Erotic Fiction section of the forum does hold some of the biggest 'grey areas' of the site, as there is always room for artistic expression in this area. This, in my opinion, is where descriptive language is necessary and does add to the story / atmosphere / fantasy. In this section I'm only really interested in making sure the stories are 'Lovehoney friendly' eg: discussing sex acts after the age of 18, nothing involving animals, kids, etc.

This has always been the 'unwritten rule' of the forums so those of you who are already well established forum users have nothing to worry about, and to be honest you shouldn't feel any change. The reason I've been forced to put this rule into writing now is due to the number of new members who think this is a hook up / dirty talk site (and I suspect many are getting off on their own posts) and I need to put a stop to it to protect the happy, helpful and open atmosphere we have here. This rule is definitely not in place to impinge on any of the wonderful community members and information we currently offer and I really don't want anyone feeling they can't speak freely on the forums.

On a side note, I can honestly say that all of you who have commented on this thread have never said or done anything which I feel breaks this rule (or any of the others for that matter) so for you guys, just carry on doing what you're doing!

4 Likes